2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 2, 2011 -> 09:57 PM)
Kyle Korver was a +17 today in 16 minutes. Bogans played some decent D on Johnson for a stretch, but it speaks volumes how good the Bulls were when Korver was on the floor tonight.

Luol Deng was -9, and frankly, I don't buy that at all. He was a huge reason why the game was as close as it was at half.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Felix @ May 2, 2011 -> 10:02 PM)
Luol Deng was -9, and frankly, I don't buy that at all. He was a huge reason why the game was as close as it was at half.

Yeah +/- is very flawed. But I don't think it's a coincidence that the Bulls played better with Korver out there today.

Giving Bogans more minutes than Korver is really silly to begin with.

Atlanta won't shoot lights out like that again. The Bulls came out slow but did a great job of battling back and taking the lead. I thought we had it locked up at one point, then Crawford and Johnson decided they'd make every single contested jumper for the last 16 minutes of the game.

That was ridiculously frustrating. Deng, Brewer and Bogans played phenomenal defense on Johnson and Crawford for most of the game but they just could not miss. It was similar to watching the game against the Knicks earlier in the year when the shot lights out.

Atlanta won't shoot lights out like that again. The Bulls came out slow but did a great job of battling back and taking the lead. I thought we had it locked up at one point, then Crawford and Johnson decided they'd make every single contested jumper for the last 16 minutes of the game.

That was ridiculously frustrating. Deng, Brewer and Bogans played phenomenal defense on Johnson and Crawford for most of the game but they just could not miss. It was similar to watching the game against the Knicks earlier in the year when the shot lights out.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 3, 2011 -> 01:41 AM)

No s***. There were like, 10 baskets those two tossed up where I thought "No way that goes in" and it would swish.

Well I think tonight's game was certainly an eye opener.

Boozer playing badly in the Conference Semi - Finals, not like I haven't seen that before. Josh Smith didn't even shoot well and they still won, so that's quite interesting also.

Can Atlanta keep shooting that well? Well, most people will say no, but Crawford had a tremendous series vs Orlando, they'll back that matchup of him vs. Earl Watson all series long. Don't think Joe Johnson can play that well again though, he was 5-5 from downtown.

I still like the Bulls to win in 5 or 6, but I think Atlanta certainly causes them some matchup issues if they don't rectify it. And Chicago needs to do a better job on the boards also, if Atlanta split the boards as they did today, that's a win for em.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 3, 2011 -> 03:12 AM)
Well I think tonight's game was certainly an eye opener.

Boozer playing badly in the Conference Semi - Finals, not like I haven't seen that before. Josh Smith didn't even shoot well and they still won, so that's quite interesting also.

Can Atlanta keep shooting that well? Well, most people will say no, but Crawford had a tremendous series vs Orlando, they'll back that matchup of him vs. Earl Watson all series long. Don't think Joe Johnson can play that well again though, he was 5-5 from downtown.

I still like the Bulls to win in 5 or 6, but I think Atlanta certainly causes them some matchup issues if they don't rectify it. And Chicago needs to do a better job on the boards also, if Atlanta split the boards as they did today, that's a win for em.

Boozer actually had a good game in comparison to what he's done recently.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 3, 2011 -> 06:33 PM)
Boozer actually had a good game in comparison to what he's done recently.

Still not really saying much.

If you're paying a guy a max contract to give you only 14/8 with pretty poor defense, that's MLE production at best right there.

He's got to be better than that, especially in games when Rose isn't allowed to drive and score at will at a good shooting percentage.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 3, 2011 -> 03:37 AM)
Still not really saying much.

If you're paying a guy a max contract to give you only 14/8 with pretty poor defense, that's MLE production at best right there.

He's got to be better than that, especially in games when Rose isn't allowed to drive and score at will at a good shooting percentage.

There's something wrong with him physically or mentally. He hasn't been the same player since Kwame Brown made him fall weirdly on his ankle.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 3, 2011 -> 06:39 PM)
There's something wrong with him physically or mentally. He hasn't been the same player since Kwame Brown made him fall weirdly on his ankle.

He's always had question marks about his mental toughness and injury proneness back from his Utah days (especially when he went up against Bynum and Gasol).

That's why I think this is the Bulls' best chance to win a championship this season, because I don't see Boozer getting any better going forward, plus you'd expect Miami to gel better in the coming seasons also.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 3, 2011 -> 03:49 AM)
He's always had question marks about his mental toughness and injury proneness back from his Utah days (especially when he went up against Bynum and Gasol).

That's why I think this is the Bulls' best chance to win a championship this season, because I don't see Boozer getting any better going forward, plus you'd expect Miami to gel better in the coming seasons also.

you are also assuming the bulls roster remains status quo. I dont think it does

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 3, 2011 -> 09:26 PM)
you are also assuming the bulls roster remains status quo. I dont think it does

They're pretty tight against the cap as it is, and they'll have to sign Rose to a max contract this off-season IIRC.

So depending on what happens in the CBA, the Bulls may only have the MLE to play with come Free Agency. They'll probably look for an upgrade at SG, not sure if Courtney Lee hits unrestricted FA this off-season, but he's exactly the type of player I'd target with that exception.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 3, 2011 -> 02:41 AM)

It's worth noting that a lot of teams seem to be shooting lights out against the Bulls lately.

Teams weren't doing that in the regular season. The defense has taken a real step back these last 5 games. The shutdown stretches have vanished.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 3, 2011 -> 08:45 AM)
They're pretty tight against the cap as it is, and they'll have to sign Rose to a max contract this off-season IIRC.

So depending on what happens in the CBA, the Bulls may only have the MLE to play with come Free Agency. They'll probably look for an upgrade at SG, not sure if Courtney Lee hits unrestricted FA this off-season, but he's exactly the type of player I'd target with that exception.

The Bulls will also have some close to expirings to work with on top of that, and an owner who should be willing to take on money.

Under the old CBA I'd be fairly confident about this team getting better this offseason just from an MLE level SG addition and another year together, plus taking on some salary in a trade or two, but it's hard to know what to make of it without a new CBA. Teams like the Bulls who are close to the cap and NEED to extend the league's MVP could have trouble doing so.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 2, 2011 -> 10:57 PM)
Kyle Korver was a +17 today in 16 minutes. Bogans played some decent D on Johnson for a stretch, but it speaks volumes how good the Bulls were when Korver was on the floor tonight.

Korver's not good on D, but his tendency to look like an awkward white guy makes people think he's worse than he is. He needs to play a lot more.

QUOTE (Felix @ May 2, 2011 -> 05:17 PM)
Deng is the only one interested in doing that so far

Deng is about the only one whose consistently played each and every game of this post-season. He is so improved this year even though his PER indicates otherwise (yet another reason why PER isn't the end all be all).

Wow, Hawks had all the breaks but at the same time, this is why I don't see how anyone was picking a sweep. Bulls have been the worse team on the court in all but one of there playoff games for the majority of the game. That is bad.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 3, 2011 -> 10:19 AM)
Wow, Hawks had all the breaks but at the same time, this is why I don't see how anyone was picking a sweep. Bulls have been the worse team on the court in all but one of there playoff games for the majority of the game. That is bad.

I can understand why people picked a sweep when Hinrich went down.

I think people expected the Bulls to start playing some better basketball.

It just hasn't happened for whatever reason. If they've bought into their own hype or what.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 3, 2011 -> 11:19 AM)

The Bulls from the regular season would sweep this team, or maybe give them a game in Atlanta.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 3, 2011 -> 11:25 AM)
The Bulls from the regular season would sweep this team, or maybe give them a game in Atlanta.

Don't let the 62-20 cloud you, this team had a lot of bad games this year, usually when they were heavily favored to win.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2011 -> 12:31 PM)
Don't let the 62-20 cloud you, this team had a lot of bad games this year, usually when they were heavily favored to win.

But usually they'd still pull together on defense.