2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ May 5, 2011 -> 08:16 AM)
But he hasnt disappeared in the playoffs. Maybe if you factor in expectations at the beginning of the season he's letting down in these games, but its not like hes a total non-factor out there.

Exactly. He did grab 11 boards last night, even with Noah getting 14.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's averaging 10.3 points and 10 rebounds per game in the playoffs. That's an even worse dropoff from the regular season than he'd do when he was in Utah and got the reputation for disappearing in the playoffs. I don't know what else I need to say.

The Bulls won. The game really wasn't in doubt at any point after the 1st quarter. Derrick Rose put the team on his back. He's clearly not healthy, but he did what was needed.

His fake out under the basket, where the Hawks just cleared out of the way... man that was fun to watch.

Anyway, it was a rough shooting night. He needs to reign in the three pointers JUST a bit... maybe keep the attempts under 5. :P

Obviously, if anyone else on the f***ing roster could actually step up and perform in a scoring capacity out of the paint, maybe consistently hit some outside shots, that would be nice. We really need a legit 2-guard, but we're by no means out of the considerations for the Championship.

Go Bulls. Game 3 is big, and I expect a victory in front of a 40% Bulls fans crowd.

He's averaging 10.3 points and 10 rebounds per game in the playoffs. That's an even worse dropoff from the regular season than he'd do when he was in Utah and got the reputation for disappearing in the playoffs. I don't know what else I need to say.

imokwiththis.jpg

With Deng, Rose and Noah he really doesn't need to be a primary option. If wants to keep averaging a double-double with Gibson (a player I think is really good in his own right) spelling him for stretches I'm not going to complain at all.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ May 5, 2011 -> 09:36 AM)
imokwiththis.jpg

With Deng, Rose and Noah he really doesn't need to be a primary option. If wants to keep averaging a double-double with Gibson (a player I think is really good in his own right) spelling him for stretches I'm not going to complain at all.

Like I said earlier, Gibson was awful in game 1. I didn't see much of him in there last night, but I didn't catch the whole game.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2011 -> 07:34 AM)
Boozer's toe is really slowing him down and having the effect on his game as Rose's ankle is on his. I'd like to see some people here just get out of bed, let alone do what these guys are doing with these injuries.

Yeah, I don't think people realize how debilitating turf toe is... that being said, I think it's on Thibs to sit Boozer if needed, because unlike Rose, he has not been effective.

Like I said earlier, Gibson was awful in game 1. I didn't see much of him in there last night, but I didn't catch the whole game.

Gibson had a good game yesterday, I dont know what stats he finished with but he made some pretty nice plays.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 5, 2011 -> 08:34 AM)

how about that his rebounds are up two and a half per game in the playoffs?

Mully mentioned this morning an unnamed source from the Bulls hospital said that Boozer has a broken toe, and his ankle is still pretty messed up.

He prefaced it by saying that it is unsubstantiated, but it makes a lot of sense

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 5, 2011 -> 08:45 AM)
Yeah, I don't think people realize how debilitating turf toe is... that being said, I think it's on Thibs to sit Boozer if needed, because unlike Rose, he has not been effective.

Being a bit undersized as a big man, he really is missing that extra lift right now. Boozer doesn't get stuffed that many times with his normal game.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 5, 2011 -> 09:04 AM)
Mully mentioned this morning an unnamed source from the Bulls hospital said that Boozer has a broken toe, and his ankle is still pretty messed up.

He prefaced it by saying that it is unsubstantiated, but it makes a lot of sense

Watching his game he has zero explosion right now. It makes perfect sense.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 5, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)

That was a texter who "knows a doctor at Rush." Maybe it's true, but I highly doubt it.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 5, 2011 -> 12:57 AM)
Also, if there's 1 piece missing on this Bulls roster (other than a competent starting SG), it's a 2nd scorer who can drive or create his own shot. Right now, Rose is the creator and the only one. I love the Bench Mob, but there is a reason CJ Watson is a backup. He settles for a lot of outside shots and he ins't necessarily a sniper from out there.

A guy like Jamal Crawford, Ben Gordon or Jason Terry would do wonders for the Bulls.

And obviously I'm looking forward quite a bit, but those 2 late 1st round picks could be extremely valuable either with picking players or as trade chips. I'd love to be able to get a Nolan Smith, but I don't think he'll last that long. Then again, it could be possible to trade up.

Thibs would throw Jamal Crawford or Ben Gordon off the team after the 1st practice. We definitely could use another creator but no thanks on those two.

Anyways, looking big picture, still really unimpressed with the Bulls performance last night.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 5, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
Thibs would throw Jamal Crawford or Ben Gordon off the team after the 1st practice. We definitely could use another creator but no thanks on those two.

Anyways, looking big picture, still really unimpressed with the Bulls performance last night.

The defensive presence was top notch last night. They got after Atlanta early, and made sure they didn't have the legs to get into the game very seriously in the second half. If Rose is even at 80%, this would have been a blowout.

QUOTE (Felix @ May 4, 2011 -> 10:58 PM)
Normally it wouldn't be, but when it comes with more shots than points, including another 8 3PA night, and eight turnovers, I'm not going to be convinced that it was a good game.

Also, directed at FOP, I think it was already pointed out how flawed a stat +/- is, so citing that as a reason he was good is kind of absurd.

This really isn't worth arguing about though, so I'll shut up.

You realize every game he throws up like 2 half court shots though right?

And here's where I get flamed (despite being a huge Rose/Thibs/Bulls homer):

Rose isn't perfect, we all know this. He's got a terrible habit of picking the hard route when there's an easier one available. He's getting caught getting in the air to pass, with no one to pass it to. And he's taking shots that he shouldn't take. If i'm Thibs i'm telling him to take 3-4 three's a game, but otherwise let Deng or Korver take those.

Also, I think Boozer is starting to get an unwarranted amount of hate put on him. Booing the guy? Seriously? The guy is soft and screams way too much. I agree with this. He's clearly not the greatest player in the word. But let's be realistic here. He's not utilized properly at all in this offense. He gets the ball 15-18 feet from the basket and is expected to generate his own shot. That's not his game. Nor is it the back to the basket. His game is the pick and pop, something Thibs is just ignoring for some reason. You didn't bring the guy here to be a defensive stopper. They knew he'd be a liability (albeit with good rebounding). But I can't fault the guy for not coming up with 20 pt games when he's just not given the opportunity to do that.

I also think Deng can contribute more. Yes, he's having a good playoff run already, but he should be more of a focal point and not the guy that bails everyone out. He's a great shooter and can iso guys, so why not let him try that? Mix the offense up a little to take some pressure off Rose. I'm tired of guys like Barkley saying that Rose is the only one that can create shots. That's just not true. They won 62 games because guys like Deng took over (even over Rose). This team has completely forgotten about that, and I think it all started when everyone claimed Rose had to do it all for the team to win.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 5, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)
Last time there was a source at a hospital story that came out, it ended up being about Quentin and his broken wrist in '08.

That was not the last time there was a source at a local hospital for a story.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 5, 2011 -> 06:31 PM)
That was not the last time there was a source at a local hospital for a story.

There was one 2 days ago...that was false.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 5, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)

I disagree. Pierce and Allen weren't quite defensive stalwarts previous to Thibs getting them to buy into that system on the Celtics, and he got them on board. I feel like he could convince anyone at this point, given the team the Bulls have right now.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 5, 2011 -> 01:30 PM)
You realize every game he throws up like 2 half court shots though right?

And here's where I get flamed (despite being a huge Rose/Thibs/Bulls homer):

Rose isn't perfect, we all know this. He's got a terrible habit of picking the hard route when there's an easier one available. He's getting caught getting in the air to pass, with no one to pass it to. And he's taking shots that he shouldn't take. If i'm Thibs i'm telling him to take 3-4 three's a game, but otherwise let Deng or Korver take those.

Also, I think Boozer is starting to get an unwarranted amount of hate put on him. Booing the guy? Seriously? The guy is soft and screams way too much. I agree with this. He's clearly not the greatest player in the word. But let's be realistic here. He's not utilized properly at all in this offense. He gets the ball 15-18 feet from the basket and is expected to generate his own shot. That's not his game. Nor is it the back to the basket. His game is the pick and pop, something Thibs is just ignoring for some reason. You didn't bring the guy here to be a defensive stopper. They knew he'd be a liability (albeit with good rebounding). But I can't fault the guy for not coming up with 20 pt games when he's just not given the opportunity to do that.

I also think Deng can contribute more. Yes, he's having a good playoff run already, but he should be more of a focal point and not the guy that bails everyone out. He's a great shooter and can iso guys, so why not let him try that? Mix the offense up a little to take some pressure off Rose. I'm tired of guys like Barkley saying that Rose is the only one that can create shots. That's just not true. They won 62 games because guys like Deng took over (even over Rose). This team has completely forgotten about that, and I think it all started when everyone claimed Rose had to do it all for the team to win.

I remember he had 1 lob at the buzzer at the end of the first.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 5, 2011 -> 12:11 PM)
Plus, he's just an awesome defender in my book.

He also goes on spurts of terrible terrible basketball, unfortunately. If Boozer really does have a broken toe, he has to sit. That's a huge investment there. If he damages his ankle or toe anymore, this team can be financially screwed for years down the line.

Plus, it also doesn't help that he's playing like crap on offense and can't do anything on defense. There was a stretch in yesterday's game where the Hawks had 6 consecutive layups, yes, six, while Boozer was in the game. When Gibson came in, they had 0 points in the paint for the rest of the quarter.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 5, 2011 -> 12:56 PM)
I remember he had 1 lob at the buzzer at the end of the first.

I think probably 10-15% of his 3's are at the end of quarters or bailouts to beat the 24 second clock.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 5, 2011 -> 01:59 PM)
I think probably 10-15% of his 3's are at the end of quarters or bailouts to beat the 24 second clock.

Somebody went back and looked at every one of his 3s or something. He had like 30 heaves at the buzzer, two of which went in. If you took that away, he shot something like 35-36% from 3 this year instead of 32-33%. I'm not exactly sure on the numbers, but I think they're in the neighborhood.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 5, 2011 -> 07:34 PM)
There was one 2 days ago...that was false.

Was that David Kaplan one? Just saw it reading this thread. I was more trying to say to not always discredit a story like the Boozer one, which I don't think anyone has.