2010-2011 NBA Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 9, 2011 -> 03:32 PM)
Yeah, that's not offensive at all.

You guys are wound a little bit too tight. You know how many times I been called the N word? Oh well. s*** happens. LeBron was talking out his ass. He wasn't trying to downgrade all mentally challenged people.

Link

Growing up, the use of the word retarded as an epithet was strictly verboten in my home. My parents always preached respect for others, but that wasn't the primary reason for the prohibition. My aunt suffered brain damage at birth. At the time of her delivery, her brain was denied adequate oxygen. As a result, she never developed mental faculties beyond those of an infant. She was what we now call developmentally disabled, though at the time we referred to her condition as mental retardation.

About one Sunday a month, my family would climb into the car and drive over to The Gatchell Home where my aunt lived. It was a live-in facility near Emory University for adults who suffered musculoskeletal or neurological conditions.

I hated these visits, from the time I was a little kid until I left for college. The severity of the residents' disabilities made me uncomfortable, and the manner in which my father tried to communicate with my aunt depressed me to no end. He was completely devoted to her welfare, yet her only capacity to return that benevolence was a series of moans.

During these drop-bys, I'd bid my aunt hello, then retreat to the main sitting area where I would watch the Braves or World Championship Wrestling with the medics and a couple of patients who had minor disabilities.

I regret I wasn't as generous as I should've been during those visits. Mustering the maturity to hang out a few minutes longer with my aunt would've been a nice way to honor my father. Yet I always felt a measure of pride about not using "retarded" the way most kids did and for asking friends to lay off "retarded," particularly when they came over my house or were hanging out with my family.

In fact, refraining from "retarded" was probably the one and only thing I ever gave my aunt -- the dignity of not being stigmatized.

Incidents like the one surrounding LeBron's use of the word "retarded" generally fall into a rote, unfortunate pattern. A few folks will yell that the PC Police are on the rampage or that the whole thing is a media-generated controversy. Some on the other side will tar James as repugnant for using a word like "retarded" as an insult.

We can't expect every 26-year-old in America to pass every test of cultural sensitivity. I actually have a 35-year-old friend with an elite education who still uses, "That's so gay," pretty liberally, even in my presence.

Do I think LeBron hates retarded or developmentally disabled people? No. Do I think my friend is homophobic? Of course not.

But I also don't think it's hypersensitive to ask people to be more precise with their language -- not as a political imperative, but because it's so easy to do.

This is life's ultimate value play: We refrain from stigmatizing groups of people with our speech at very little cost, and we reap the benefit of collective dignity and knowing we didn't hurt anyone.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 9, 2011 -> 03:34 PM)
You guys are wound a little bit too tight. You know how many times I been called the N word? Oh well. s*** happens. LeBron was talking out his ass. He wasn't trying to downgrade all mentally challenged people.

Doesnt change the fact its classless and disrespectful, especially during an interview referring to a member of the media.

I lol'd @ J4L

Thanks for that LakersGround forum, those Kobe fan boys really let their imagination run wild as to how Kobe is now as good or better than MJ, really funny s***.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 9, 2011 -> 03:57 PM)
Doesnt change the fact its classless and disrespectful, especially during an interview referring to a member of the media.

If an athlete or somebody of stature says something that impacts you to that degree ( I don't mean you. People in general) then you need to take a look in the mirror and breakdown what's wrong with you. And another thing: You said most mentally challenged people would take great offense to somebody using that word. False. I know for a fact that most mentally challenged people don't even realize they're mentally challenged.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 9, 2011 -> 04:05 PM)
If an athlete or somebody of stature says something that impacts you to that degree ( I don't mean you. People in general) then you need to take a look in the mirror and access what's wrong with you. And another thing: You said most mentally challenged people would take great offense to somebody using that word. False. I know for a fact that most mentally challenged people don't even realize they're mentally challenged.

At this point, Im going to respectfully ask you to stop. My cousin lives in Misercordia, and I have worked around these people my entire life in volunteer work. Your facts are being pulled out of your ass, and your comparison to people calling you the N word holds no water in this discussion. It doesnt make it ok if someone calls you that for you to turn around and say other degrading words.

This is a basketball forum. This conversation should return to basketball from this point forward.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 9, 2011 -> 04:05 PM)
If an athlete or somebody of stature says something that impacts you to that degree ( I don't mean you. People in general) then you need to take a look in the mirror and breakdown what's wrong with you. And another thing: You said most mentally challenged people would take great offense to somebody using that word. False. I know for a fact that most mentally challenged people don't even realize they're mentally challenged.
Wow, just wow. As someone who is a minority, I would think you would have a little more insight into discrimination and hurtful words.

I volunteer for an organization that works with hundreds of mentally challenged kids throughout the Chicago area. We focus on helping them through their adult lives since the state completely cuts off funding for them as soon as they graduate highschool. Someone as knowledgeable as you should know that there are varying degrees of disability across several diseases that effect the kids. I had the pleasure to listen to them give a presentation to several county and state leaders about the impact of the R-word on their lives and how its hurtful to them to hear it spoken. Most of these kids have the mental capacity of an elementary school child, but still can understand discrimination and can be hurt by not feeling like they belong. A public figure should never use a term that is hurtful and discriminatory when he is trying to put someone down in the way that Lebron was. If he used the N-word to describe someone who was lazy and stupid, I'm betting the black community wouldn't be too happy, nor should they be. You really should get your head out of your ass and open your eyes.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 9, 2011 -> 04:09 PM)
At this point, Im going to respectfully ask you to stop. My cousin lives in Misercordia, and I have worked around these people my entire life in volunteer work. Your facts are being pulled out of your ass, and your comparison to people calling you the N word holds no water in this discussion. It doesnt make it ok if someone calls you that for you to turn around and say other degrading words.

This is a basketball forum. This conversation should return to basketball from this point forward.

I'll stop. But let me just say one more thing. It's getting pretty ridiculous how sensitive everybody is. Kobe says the F word in the heat of the moment and he all of a sudden hates all gay people. It's just getting stupid. That's why I responded. But I'm done now. Back to hoops. Chris Paul is better than Rose. Bring it!

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 9, 2011 -> 04:13 PM)
I'll stop. But let me just say one more thing. It's getting pretty ridiculous how sensitive everybody is. Kobe says the F word in the heat of the moment and he all of a sudden hates all gay people. It's just getting stupid. That's why I responded. But I'm done now. Back to hoops. Chris Paul is better than Rose. Bring it!

By saying you'll stop, it doesnt mean taking another shot. And its not saying he hates all mentally challenged people, its not furthering the use of a word that is hurtful and discriminatory, especially using it in the context of insulting a reporter. That not being sensitive, its being a rational empathetic adult.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 9, 2011 -> 04:16 PM)
By saying you'll stop, it doesnt mean taking another shot. And its not saying he hates all mentally challenged people, its not furthering the use of a word that is hurtful and discriminatory, especially using it in the context of insulting a reporter. That not being sensitive, its being a rational empathetic adult.

let it go.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 9, 2011 -> 04:13 PM)
Wow, just wow. As someone who is a minority, I would think you would have a little more insight into discrimination and hurtful words.

I volunteer for an organization that works with hundreds of mentally challenged kids throughout the Chicago area. We focus on helping them through their adult lives since the state completely cuts off funding for them as soon as they graduate highschool. Someone as knowledgeable as you should know that there are varying degrees of disability across several diseases that effect the kids. I had the pleasure to listen to them give a presentation to several county and state leaders about the impact of the R-word on their lives and how its hurtful to them to hear it spoken. Most of these kids have the mental capacity of an elementary school child, but still can understand discrimination and can be hurt by not feeling like they belong. A public figure should never use a term that is hurtful and discriminatory when he is trying to put someone down in the way that Lebron was. If he used the N-word to describe someone who was lazy and stupid, I'm betting the black community wouldn't be too happy, nor should they be. You really should get your head out of your ass and open your eyes.

I do have insight. But nobody is going to make me think less of myself. I'll do that on my own if I choose. LeBron is a f***ing idiot. I get that. But GMAB. You know how many people have use that word, like, all the time? Most don't mean anything by it. It's whatever, And I know you and I guess Kyle will disagree. But they don't realize that they're challenged. Do you really believe if you went up to a mentally challenged person and called them the R word they would say "hey, stop calling me that?" They don't know. That's my point. That's all I was saying. So stop trying to make a hurricane out of something that's not that big a deal.

What does that say about a person when the only way they can express themselves is by insulting people? Seems like such a small thing to not use hurtful words, I'm not certain what LBJ would have lost by using a different word, maybe he has a very limited vocabulary.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 9, 2011 -> 06:09 PM)
I hate having to "root" for the Celtics.

Hopefully our horrid rooting for the Celtics pays off in the Eastern Conference Finals.

Or J-Smoove continues to remember not to shoot jumpers. I hope J-Smoove does as he has found fit this entire season and forgets that fact. He sure was better in 09/10 when he stopped shooting them, that's for sure.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 9, 2011 -> 09:05 PM)
Theyll definitely give the Celtics a legitimate shot to win, but they are going to have to score some points. If Boston cant score, they are going to lose. Because this team they have on the floor looks really bad offensively.

Right now the Heat have only two guys who can score