2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 11, 2011 -> 03:36 PM)
Which is good and bad. Taj is a much better defender than Boozer. But he's a much lesser threat to score the ball. This is what I mean by the matchup problems the Heat create. You have a similar problem at the 2-guard. You got one guy who's a great shooter and bad defender. Another guy who's a good defender and not much of a scorer. This obviously hasn't been an issue to this point. But it more than likely will be next series.

I don't understand what you are saying. Noah was on bosh.

I think the heat will be difficult as all hell, that said i think we play a lot better when we rely on out-energy-ing the other team, like we have to vs. great teams.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Count me in the group that says the Heat match-up will be better for the Bulls than the Hawks/Pacers and for one reason - point guard. Collins and Teague destroyed Rose on the offensive end and the Heat have no one that can do the same. Not to mention I think it'll be easier for Rose to drive and dish on a guy like Bibby. Obviously Wade and Lebron are huge concerns, but I think Bogans/Deng do a pretty good job of containing them as much as you can. Unlike Philly or the Celtics, their impact isn't going to come as easy. I don't see Wade putting up 28 in a half in a series with the Bulls.

Still, this is the conference finals, and the NBA wants as many games as possible. Regardless of how the teams play it'll go 7.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 11, 2011 -> 10:54 AM)
I don't understand what you are saying. Noah was on bosh.

I think the heat will be difficult as all hell, that said i think we play a lot better when we rely on out-energy-ing the other team, like we have to vs. great teams.

Bosh will see multiple defenders. I get that. But Boozer more than likely will see the most time vs him when he's on the court. Noah has the propensity to get into foul trouble. I believe he was 5th or 6th in the league in personal fouls per game.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 11, 2011 -> 11:10 AM)
Not to mention I think it'll be easier for Rose to drive and dish on a guy like Bibby.

I actually think we're going to see LeBron on D-Rose if we meet the Heat in the ECF.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 11, 2011 -> 11:17 AM)
I actually think we're going to see LeBron on D-Rose if we meet the Heat in the ECF.

Maybe for parts of the game but man that'll be a lot of energy expended on guarding someone with Rose's speed.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 11, 2011 -> 11:10 AM)
Count me in the group that says the Heat match-up will be better for the Bulls than the Hawks/Pacers and for one reason - point guard. Collins and Teague destroyed Rose on the offensive end and the Heat have no one that can do the same. Not to mention I think it'll be easier for Rose to drive and dish on a guy like Bibby. Obviously Wade and Lebron are huge concerns, but I think Bogans/Deng do a pretty good job of containing them as much as you can. Unlike Philly or the Celtics, their impact isn't going to come as easy. I don't see Wade putting up 28 in a half in a series with the Bulls.

Still, this is the conference finals, and the NBA wants as many games as possible. Regardless of how the teams play it'll go 7.

The group that has one person? I'm sorry. To say the Pacers were a more difficult matchup than the Heat will be is asinine. You're telling me D-wade doesn't present a tougher challenge than Collins and Teague when it comes to dribble penetration, pick and roll? Because he's not a "PG"? Wade can get to the cup as often or more as any elite PG in the league.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 11, 2011 -> 11:18 AM)
The group that has one person? I'm sorry. To say the Pacers were a more difficult matchup than the Heat will be is asinine. You're telling me D-wade doesn't present a tougher challenge than Collins and Teague when it comes to dribble penetration, pick and roll? Because he's not a "PG"? Wade can get to the cup as often or more as any elite PG in the league.

Yeah, the Heat are the toughest matchup for anyone really, because they are really f***ing good. I don't understand why people think a team whose second best scorer is Tyler Hansbrough is a tougher matchup than a team whose second best scorer is a pick between Wade and James.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 11, 2011 -> 10:18 AM)

Indeed. That LeBron guy is pretty good at ball handling and getting to the rim, too.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 11, 2011 -> 11:20 AM)
Yeah, the Heat are the toughest matchup for anyone really, because they are really f***ing good. I don't understand why people think a team whose second best scorer is Tyler Hansbrough is a tougher matchup than a team whose second best scorer is a pick between Wade and James.

Thank you! That's all I was saying. I was getting frustrated. lol. I'm 50-50 on this impending series. I think it's going at least 6. No doubt. If it goes 7 then I like our chances at home. Hopefully MJ, Scottie, Dennis and any other Bull from the dynasty will be there for good luck.

I honestly think the Bulls can play the defense needed to beat Miami. The Bulls can be a very good defensive team if they focus and get back in transition, forcing the other team to run half-court sets. I think they will do that against Miami (if that's indeed the matchup, with both teams advancing this round) and the Heat aren't a very good half-court offense anyways. But for the Bulls to beat Miami, they'll need Rose to be playing at prime MVP form, with consistent secondary scoring from Boozer, Deng, Korver, and a surprise guy like Gibson. I just don't see the offense being good enough, especially against a team as good on defense as Miami.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 11, 2011 -> 11:23 AM)
Thank you! That's all I was saying. I was getting frustrated. lol. I'm 50-50 on this impending series. I think it's going at least 6. No doubt. If it goes 7 then I like our chances at home. Hopefully MJ, Scottie, Dennis and any other Bull from the dynasty will be there for good luck.

LOL, I'm with you on that too. In the end, the Bulls got past the Pacers because D-Rose was the best player on the floor and no one could stop him. Other than game 5, they were all close games til Rose won it at the end. It's a similar thing with the Hawks. The Bulls aren't gonna have that going for them with Lebron & Wade on the court. Playoff series are usually won by the best players and the Heat will have 3 of the 4 best players in the series.

Then again, the Lakers arguably had 4 of the 5 best players in their series and they got smoked, so the Heat can be beat. The Bulls can win the series but everyone is gonna have to contribute, I don't think DRose can do it by himself.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 11, 2011 -> 11:28 AM)
I honestly think the Bulls can play the defense needed to beat Miami. The Bulls can be a very good defensive team if they focus and get back in transition, forcing the other team to run half-court sets. I think they will do that against Miami (if that's indeed the matchup, with both teams advancing this round) and the Heat aren't a very good half-court offense anyways. But for the Bulls to beat Miami, they'll need Rose to be playing at prime MVP form, with consistent secondary scoring from Boozer, Deng, Korver, and a surprise guy like Gibson. I just don't see the offense being good enough, especially against a team as good on defense as Miami.

Our advantage this season against Miami has been and will continue to be the Bench Mob. I have a feeling come games 6 and 7 if necessary that the "big three" will be really tired.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 11, 2011 -> 10:37 AM)
Our advantage this season against Miami has been and will continue to be the Bench Mob. I have a feeling come games 6 and 7 if necessary that the "big three" will be really tired.

I think we've already seen that the "bench mob" advantage the Bulls enjoyed throughout the regular season isn't anywhere near as relevant in the playoffs. In fact, the bench has been hurting the Bulls in the playoffs, if anything, especially during that time in the early 2nd quarter when it's mostly bench players in the game. I'm just not sure that advantage matters anymore, outside of the fact that guys like Taj and Korver can really help out as individuals during certain games.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 11, 2011 -> 11:41 AM)
I think we've already seen that the "bench mob" advantage the Bulls enjoyed throughout the regular season isn't anywhere near as relevant in the playoffs. In fact, the bench has been hurting the Bulls in the playoffs, if anything, especially during that time in the early 2nd quarter when it's mostly bench players in the game. I'm just not sure that advantage matters anymore, outside of the fact that guys like Taj and Korver can really help out as individuals during certain games.

The bench has been huge in our last two wins.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 11, 2011 -> 11:20 AM)

I'm not arguing that it'll be EASY, but I think defensively the Bulls matchup much better against a team that basically just runs the "Wade/Lebron dribble around and everyone else get out of the way" offense versus teams that actually run an offense and get contributions from all 5 guys. A team like Atlanta is athletic at all 5 positions. Miami doesn't have that. They have 2 superstars and a good player in Bosh. After that they're nothing. If Boston wasn't 500 years old, if Rondo hadn't soared after the Perkins trade half way through the season, and if Allen had shown up to play Boston could have exposed these flaws. But they didn't, and thus Miami looks unbeatable. I don't buy it. They STILL can't execute down the stretch and they still rely way too much on 2 guys.

I don't think it's that much of a stretch to say that the type of game that the Pacers and Hawks play (though admittedly the Hawks don't exactly scream offensive efficiency, but they have skilled and athletic players all over the court) is more difficult for the Bulls defensive system, which relies on clogging up the paint and dominating on the boards.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 11, 2011 -> 11:52 AM)
I'm not arguing that it'll be EASY, but I think defensively the Bulls matchup much better against a team that basically just runs the "Wade/Lebron dribble around and everyone else get out of the way" offense versus teams that actually run an offense and get contributions from all 5 guys. A team like Atlanta is athletic at all 5 positions. Miami doesn't have that. They have 2 superstars and a good player in Bosh. After that they're nothing. If Boston wasn't 500 years old, if Rondo hadn't soared after the Perkins trade half way through the season, and if Allen had shown up to play Boston could have exposed these flaws. But they didn't, and thus Miami looks unbeatable. I don't buy it. They STILL can't execute down the stretch and they still rely way too much on 2 guys.

I don't think it's that much of a stretch to say that the type of game that the Pacers and Hawks play (though admittedly the Hawks don't exactly scream offensive efficiency, but they have skilled and athletic players all over the court) is more difficult for the Bulls defensive system, which relies on clogging up the paint and dominating on the boards.

Those offenses are way more effective when run by two of the best talents in the entire league. Plus by your logic, we depend on one guy down the stretch of most close games. That will be even more so in this series when we can't use Korver because of the defensive nightmares it would create for Thibs.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 11, 2011 -> 11:52 AM)

But when those two guys are the best player in the league and a top 5-10 player, it's a little different. Also, I'd say they executed well for the most part down the stretch two days ago.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 11, 2011 -> 10:50 AM)
The bench has been huge in our last two wins.

Well everybody was huge in game 3, it was a blowout. The bench really wasn't very good last night either: the Hawks made a run to get back into the game during the "bench mob" period early in the 2nd quarter. The only guy off the bench that was good was Gibson. He was one of the main reasons they pulled away in the 4th quarter with his strong play, though.