2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 11, 2011 -> 11:52 AM)
I'm not arguing that it'll be EASY, but I think defensively the Bulls matchup much better against a team that basically just runs the "Wade/Lebron dribble around and everyone else get out of the way" offense versus teams that actually run an offense and get contributions from all 5 guys.

Have you watched Atlanta play? Their ball movement isn't good at all the vast majority of the time. They iso a ton and shoot a ton of jump shots. That is much easier to defend than Miami.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the Bulls have played in the playoffs like they have all season long. Nothing has been easy, there were very few blowouts, and many times it came down to Rose shouldering the load in the 4th quarter. Why did we all expect a domination switch to flip on in the playoffs? They play their best when they play together, as it has been all season long. The games they have lost, the team stood around and waited for Rose to do something.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 11, 2011 -> 12:06 PM)
Well everybody was huge in game 3, it was a blowout. The bench really wasn't very good last night either: the Hawks made a run to get back into the game during the "bench mob" period early in the 2nd quarter. The only guy off the bench that was good was Gibson. He was one of the main reasons they pulled away in the 4th quarter with his strong play, though.

Three bench players, Asik Gibson and Brewer, were the main reasons. The bench mob

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 11, 2011 -> 05:08 PM)
i think the Bulls have played in the playoffs like they have all season long. Nothing has been easy, there were very few blowouts, and many times it came down to Rose shouldering the load in the 4th quarter. Why did we all expect a domination switch to flip on in the playoffs? They play their best when they play together, as it has been all season long. The games they have lost, the team stood around and waited for Rose to do something.

Three bench players, Asik Gibson and Brewer, were the main reasons. The bench mob

I don't think people saw how good Asik was in the 4th. He was covering an incredible amount of ground on defense. From top of the key to baseline three back inside. It was fantastic.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 11, 2011 -> 11:08 AM)

Yeah I suppose that's true, Brewer and Asik were a big part of why the defense was so good in the 4th quarter. The bench mob has still been a significant letdown in the playoffs overall though IMO.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (bmags @ May 11, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
I don't think people saw how good Asik was in the 4th. He was covering an incredible amount of ground on defense. From top of the key to baseline three back inside. It was fantastic.

he came out of nowhere and swatted smith and the building went nuts. i was really happy with what he was doing, he looked like he belonged on the floor

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ May 11, 2011 -> 05:17 PM)
Mags, I really think the Horford-Noah matchup is tough for us. Those two guys have a ton of familiarity with each other's games from UF and it takes away from Noah's effectiveness.

I've been trying to formulate that in my head, but I think it goes beyond this specific horford matchup. But yeah, I do think Noah is in a mindgame with him that Noah is losing.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 11, 2011 -> 12:17 PM)
Yeah I suppose that's true, Brewer and Asik were a big part of why the defense was so good in the 4th quarter. The bench mob has still been a significant letdown in the playoffs overall though IMO.

The Blazers and Kings had bench mobs in the early 2000s. The Lakers had Shaq and Kobe. The end. Again, not saying the Bulls can't win. But I don't see either bench playing a huge role in the upcoming series.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 11, 2011 -> 05:20 PM)
The Blazers and Kings had bench mobs in the early 2000s. The Lakers had Shaq and Kobe. The end. Again, not saying the Bulls can't win. But I don't see either bench playing a huge role in the upcoming series.

The surrounding cast to the lakers during shaq and kobe was >>>>>>>>>>>> to the heat's surrounding cast.

This is my worry.

I'd really like if the Bulls could use their bench to just sub people out to make LeBron and Wade's life on the perimeter miserable, but at small forward we only really have Deng. I mean, the guy is fantastic on transition D and luckily he's this team's iron man, but keeping fresh legs on LeBron and Wade all game long feels a lot better than relying on Deng to play 45 minutes a game.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 11, 2011 -> 12:05 PM)
But when those two guys are the best player in the league and a top 5-10 player, it's a little different. Also, I'd say they executed well for the most part down the stretch two days ago.

You mean in a tie game when Lebron turned the ball over and gave the Celtics a chance to win the game?

QUOTE (bmags @ May 11, 2011 -> 12:24 PM)
The surrounding cast to the lakers during shaq and kobe was >>>>>>>>>>>> to the heat's surrounding cast.

Fisher, Horry, Fox, George, Shaw vs Bosh, Bibby, Jones Z and I guess Miller? I don't see a huge difference. Especially now that Haslem is back. Though it's unclear to how much he's going to be able to give. I guess the gist of what I was saying is that depth isn't as critical, though it obviously helps, during the playoffs at it is during the regular season. Your main guys are going to be on the floor 95% of the time, regardless.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 11, 2011 -> 05:28 AM)
still gotta remember the new CBA. If something like a franchise tag or a hard cap appears it changes everything.

And that is why it would be stupid to move Dwight. Dwight is a special player, the time of guy you can win a lot of championships with. Replace Noah with Howard and were on our way to our first title this year!

Replace Dwight with Pau or Bynum, Lakers are doing the same.

If I'm Orlando, I bank on two things. One, I try to build our team to be as good as possible, win or make the championships and Dwight probably stays. Scenario two, you end up with a franchise tag and you get to keep Dwight anyway.

Under no circumstance am I dealing Dwight, unless I'm getting another franchise player in return and that just isn't going to happen. Or if I'm able to get talent back, plus get out from a ton of terrible contracts to set myself up pretty for 2012 where we can sell people to play in beautiful Orlando like they did when McGrady and Hill were free agents.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 11, 2011 -> 12:30 PM)
You mean in a tie game when Lebron turned the ball over and gave the Celtics a chance to win the game?

Or when Lebron buried the 3 as the shot clock wound down right in front of the Celtics bench? Or when Wade nailed that 23-foot turnaround shot with a defender in his face? Or when Bosh boxed out everyone down low to get the key tip-in to ice the game?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 11, 2011 -> 12:03 PM)
Those offenses are way more effective when run by two of the best talents in the entire league. Plus by your logic, we depend on one guy down the stretch of most close games. That will be even more so in this series when we can't use Korver because of the defensive nightmares it would create for Thibs.

The Bulls D is stopping the dribble drive and dominating the paint. That's an advantage they'll have over the Heat that they really didn't have with the Pacers or the Hawks. Hibbert pretty much dominated Boozer/Noah and Josh Smith is doing the same. The way that the Heat play offense plays into the Bulls D. Can you stop them all the time? No. They'll get their points. But you keep them in check and play a sub-90 pt game and I think they win.

And I think that series sets up easier for Rose. Like I said before, they have no PG that's going to wear Rose out on the defensive end. If you're going to play Lebron or Wade on Rose fine, you wear them out and you open up a guy like Deng to score big. I think that's where the series is going to be decided. If Deng/Bogans/Korver hit their outside shots, the Bulls win. If not, they won't.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 11, 2011 -> 12:33 PM)
BUt all that means it will be all the more disappointing if the heat win. Unless dwade gets injured, they are going to dominate the playoffs every year.

This is just a reality. These three knew what they were doing well before The Decision. The Heat, much like the Bulls of the 90's, figure to be in the way of a lot of teams for quite a while.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 11, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)
The Bulls D is stopping the dribble drive and dominating the paint. That's an advantage they'll have over the Heat that they really didn't have with the Pacers or the Hawks. Hibbert pretty much dominated Boozer/Noah and Josh Smith is doing the same. The way that the Heat play offense plays into the Bulls D. Can you stop them all the time? No. They'll get their points. But you keep them in check and play a sub-90 pt game and I think they win.

And I think that series sets up easier for Rose. Like I said before, they have no PG that's going to wear Rose out on the defensive end. If you're going to play Lebron or Wade on Rose fine, you wear them out and you open up a guy like Deng to score big. I think that's where the series is going to be decided. If Deng/Bogans/Korver hit their outside shots, the Bulls win. If not, they won't.

The Bulls D hasn't been asked to stop LeBron or Wade in these two series either.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 11, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
Or when Lebron buried the 3 as the shot clock wound down right in front of the Celtics bench? Or when Wade nailed that 23-foot turnaround shot with a defender in his face? Or when Bosh boxed out everyone down low to get the key tip-in to ice the game?

Don't ya love selective memory?