2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2011 -> 08:54 AM)
The Heat were terrible in close games this season and weren't really all that great yesterday either. The Bulls were just worse.

The Heat may have these "Great closers" but in the last 6:00 of a close game, they switch to all isolation, all the time mode. That works 30% of the time, to first order, no matter who you're dealing with. If you can score 35% of the time, and you don't commit the stupid foul Noah committed to bail them out yesterday, you win against them down the stretch because they go to all iso, all the time mode.

Lebron wasn't taking great shots down the stretch. He made that one big three but missed others. He was taking contested shots. He'll make those 30% of the time, but no better.

3 of the last 4 games the Heat played were close. LeBron was making the majority of those shots at the end of all 3 games.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2011 -> 08:54 AM)
The Heat were terrible in close games this season and weren't really all that great yesterday either. The Bulls were just worse.

The Heat may have these "Great closers" but in the last 6:00 of a close game, they switch to all isolation, all the time mode. That works 30% of the time, to first order, no matter who you're dealing with. If you can score 35% of the time, and you don't commit the stupid foul Noah committed to bail them out yesterday, you win against them down the stretch because they go to all iso, all the time mode.

Lebron wasn't taking great shots down the stretch. He made that one big three but missed others. He was taking contested shots. He'll make those 30% of the time, but no better.

You are kidding yourself if you think that just because they go to isolation or had chemistry issues during the regular season that a team with Wade and James on it cannot close.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 19, 2011 -> 09:04 AM)
I dont know what happened with that ref Phillips in the 2nd quarter, but he took all rhythm and momentum from both teams in the 2nd quarter.

Text Message from D. Stern.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 19, 2011 -> 09:05 AM)
You are kidding yourself if you think that just because they go to isolation or had chemistry issues during the regular season that a team with Wade and James on it cannot close.

Yup, I think too much is made of that. How many times did we hear "Get the ball to Michael, and get the f*** out of the way" or some variation of that at the end of the game? The Bulls didn't run no damn triangle the last two minutes. They had Jordan. Simple as that.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 19, 2011 -> 09:05 AM)

Their track record when they go into isolation in close games says they really struggle to close.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 19, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)
Yup, I think too much is made of that. How many times did we hear "Get the ball to Michael, and get the f*** out of the way" or some variation of that at the end of the game? The Bulls didn't run no damn triangle the last two minutes. They had Jordan. Simple as that.

I think it's overplayed, but I think you guys are overselling how good LBJ and Wade are. Go look at the stats. They haven't been good this year, especially Lebron. All the talent in the world doesn't matter if you aren't clutch when it matters. Has Lebron been better? Sure, but really, he hasn't been asked to win a game with a shot (like in the final regular season match-up). Last night he hit an open three on Korver, who was 4 feet away, with 2 seconds on the shot clock. He hit a fadeaway spin 18 footer in a bailout. Noah made a dumb foul on Wade that gave him two shots. The rest is history. As Balta said, the way they close games doesn't work the majority of the time.

The game changed when Asik got knocked out with the cut on his chin. The Bulls had the momentum. Lebron and Wade couldn't get any penetration because of the help defense that Asik provided. They were standing around taking terrible jump shots. After he left that defensive intensity was gone. Miami (smartly) attacked Korver and took over.

I blame Thibs for not adjusting in the 4th. I get that the Bulls need Korver to hit some shots. I get that Korver has to play to get into a rhythm and get out of this funk that he's in. But do that in the 2nd quarter, not the 4th. Why is he in there for extended minutes when it's clear he can't hit a shot to save his life? At that point Bogans is an equal offensive threat but an immense upgrade on defense. I think that was the difference in the game (along with the Bulls shooting terrible overall from all over the court).

Also, Spoelstra is a terrible coach. Not taking out Haslem for the first 5 min of the 4th should have been their undoing. He got bailed out by the Bulls playing a terrible quarter.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 19, 2011 -> 09:30 AM)
I blame Thibs for not adjusting in the 4th. I get that the Bulls need Korver to hit some shots. I get that Korver has to play to get into a rhythm and get out of this funk that he's in. But do that in the 2nd quarter, not the 4th. Why is he in there for extended minutes when it's clear he can't hit a shot to save his life? At that point Bogans is an equal offensive threat but an immense upgrade on defense. I think that was the difference in the game (along with the Bulls shooting terrible overall from all over the court).

Also, Spoelstra is a terrible coach. Not taking out Haslem for the first 10 min of the 4th should have been their undoing. He got bailed out by the Bulls playing a terrible quarter.

^I agree on all of this.

The game changed when Asik got knocked out with the cut on his chin. The Bulls had the momentum. Lebron and Wade couldn't get any penetration because of the help defense that Asik provided. They were standing around taking terrible jump shots. After he left that defensive intensity was gone. Miami (smartly) attacked Korver and took over.

Also, Spoelstra is a terrible coach. Not taking out Haslem for the first 5 min of the 4th should have been their undoing. He got bailed out by the Bulls playing a terrible quarter.

How about the refs giving Wade as much time as he needed to wipe the blood of his arm? They waited for him to be ready, even after the 20 second timeout.

On the Haslem thing, I think everyone but Spolestra knew that Haslem should sit at the start of the 4th quarter, only he didn't realize that.

I think it's overplayed, but I think you guys are overselling how good LBJ and Wade are. Go look at the stats. They haven't been good this year, especially Lebron. All the talent in the world doesn't matter if you aren't clutch when it matters. Has Lebron been better? Sure, but really, he hasn't been asked to win a game with a shot (like in the final regular season match-up). Last night he hit an open three on Korver, who was 4 feet away, with 2 seconds on the shot clock. He hit a fadeaway spin 18 footer in a bailout. Noah made a dumb foul on Wade that gave him two shots. The rest is history. As Balta said, the way they close games doesn't work the majority of the time.

Are you going to disregard all of the clutch performances and shots that LBJ/Wade have had before this season? I know this is their first time playing together, but it does take a while to figure it out. And it worked against Boston twice and last night.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 19, 2011 -> 09:37 AM)
Are you going to disregard all of the clutch performances and shots that LBJ/Wade have had before this season? I know this is their first time playing together, but it does take a while to figure it out. And it worked against Boston twice and last night.

I'll say this about Haslem. I didn't see the game (work) so I really can't go after the discussion, but looking at the stats, the Bulls had 0 offensive rebounds when he was on the court. That has got to change.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 19, 2011 -> 09:49 AM)
I'll say this about Haslem. I didn't see the game (work) so I really can't go after the discussion, but looking at the stats, the Bulls had 0 offensive rebounds when he was on the court. That has got to change.

I've been saying all year that the Heat supporting cast took a huge hit when Haslem went down. He's basically what Taj is to us.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 19, 2011 -> 09:37 AM)

So you're pointing to three times he's been "clutch" to support your claim, but I can't rely on the 2-15 or whatever they've been this season in the final minutes?

I find it telling that Brian Windhorst, Lebron's media mouthpiece, wrote a story this morning about how Lebron is FINALLY starting to become more clutch. He, like you, relies on his performance against Boston (a team that was so clearly overrated and outmatched since they were old and playing with a significant defensive piece with one arm) and this one game (out of four) against the Bulls.

Rose is one of the best players to use the glass. James and Wade are two of the best at blocking those glass shots. It seemed like after Rose had a couple blocked, he started totally changing his shots in the lane. I can't remember seeing him that wild around the rim...throwing up prayer shots. The bigs are going to have to be active and ready to accept the feed. Things got weird towards the end...I felt like there was no set offense anymore and they were just playing street ball. They'll bounce back. That was one of their worst performances and they were right there in the end.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 19, 2011 -> 09:55 AM)
So you're pointing to three times he's been "clutch" to support your claim, but I can't rely on the 2-15 or whatever they've been this season in the final minutes?

I find it telling that Brian Windhorst, Lebron's media mouthpiece, wrote a story this morning about how Lebron is FINALLY starting to become more clutch. He, like you, relies on his performance against Boston (a team that was so clearly overrated and outmatched since they were old and playing with a significant defensive piece with one arm) and this one game (out of four) against the Bulls.

Fair is fair. I will ignore what they did during this regular season, and you ignore all the previous success that Lebron & Wade have had. Then we will both be right.

The Bulls are a young team, they played terrible last night, it's Thibbys turn to make adjustments to what the Heat did, they'll be more focused on the road, they won't miss as many shots as they did in gm 2, they'll be more aggressive, they'll take back HC in Miami...that is all.

BTW, I'm with you guys, I'm done with Real and his negative vibes :lol:

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 19, 2011 -> 10:30 AM)
Is this true in the post season as well?

They scored, what, 14 points in the 4th quarter last night? Please tell me how the iso game was effective on offense.

They closed one game against the Celtics that was close when the Celtics choked it away, and the Bulls did the exact same thing last night.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 19, 2011 -> 11:36 AM)
The Bulls need to score more points. And part of the problem was jacking up to many 3s when they werent falling.

IN the first quarter especially. They were all open looks based on ball movement but the shots wouldnt fall.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 19, 2011 -> 05:38 PM)
IN the first quarter especially. They were all open looks based on ball movement but the shots wouldnt fall.

Right, but if you are keith bogans or kyle korver and you get a wide open 3 look, we need them to take those shots.

Korver has to make an impact on offense to have any sort of value. He's driving me crazy with this cold streak.