2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 26, 2011 -> 01:46 PM)
well apparently the 2011-2012 season is over, since Balta says so. I mean, what happens if the Bulls lose in one of the next 3 games, and then the Heat get their asses blitzed by Dallas? Will all of this "The heat can do nothing wrong and will sign whomever they want" talk still persist? Will you still think that the Bulls, who really only had one year under this system and this coach, will not be able to get better?

It isnt doomsday balta. There will be basketball next season despite your constant proclamations that there might not be. The heat might win the championship, they might not, but that doesnt mean everyone should roll over and and accept that they cannot be beaten, players and fans alike.

No, doomsday for the NBA was early July of last year. I'm pretty sure back then I was saying the same stuff I said now...that it was f***ing over.

And I'll admit it, the Bulls were good enough this year and fun en ough to watch that I actually got my hopes back up, after having started the season expecting the Heat to blow past 72.

Now that we've gotten here though, it looks disturbingly like what I thought it would look like last July. So yeah, I'm back to being down on the NBA, probably even lower than I was last July, because I actually started getting my hopes up.

Maybe this is my coping mechanism, but my coping mechanism has a decent track record. I'm pretty sure I was writing the same stuff about the NFL lockout last year, and if anything, the sides are farther apart than I thought they'd be now. The NBA labor negotiations are going to be an abject mess...the NFL could survive by just reinstating what they had last year...the NBA cannot.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 26, 2011 -> 12:46 PM)
well apparently the 2011-2012 season is over, since Balta says so. I mean, what happens if the Bulls lose in one of the next 3 games, and then the Heat get their asses blitzed by Dallas? Will all of this "The heat can do nothing wrong and will sign whomever they want" talk still persist? Will you still think that the Bulls, who really only had one year under this system and this coach, will not be able to get better?

It isnt doomsday balta. There will be basketball next season despite your constant proclamations that there might not be. The heat might win the championship, they might not, but that doesnt mean everyone should roll over and and accept that they cannot be beaten, players and fans alike.

Forget the fact that its the Bulls' first season under a new system, new coach, and a number of new players, history shows us that rarely ever does a young team win the title in their first serious run at it. The Bulls inexperience has been blatantly obvious down the stretches of these games. Ditto for the Thunder if you've been watching that series. The Bulls could stand pat, and they still would be a much better playoff team next year.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ May 26, 2011 -> 02:07 PM)
The Bulls could stand pat, and they still would be a much better playoff team next year.

You want to give me odds on Boozer, Noah, Rose and Deng all being healthy at the same time next year (assuming a full season happens...a short season could keep them healthier).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 26, 2011 -> 12:07 PM)
The Bulls haven't looked like a team with a prayer for 3 straight games.

Except for when they had a chance to win Game 4 with a couple seconds left. Or had it down 2 in the 4th in Game 3. Or had it tied with 7 minutes to go in Game 2.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 26, 2011 -> 01:05 PM)
No, doomsday for the NBA was early July of last year. I'm pretty sure back then I was saying the same stuff I said now...that it was f***ing over.

And I'll admit it, the Bulls were good enough this year and fun en ough to watch that I actually got my hopes back up, after having started the season expecting the Heat to blow past 72.

Now that we've gotten here though, it looks disturbingly like what I thought it would look like last July. So yeah, I'm back to being down on the NBA, probably even lower than I was last July, because I actually started getting my hopes up.

Maybe this is my coping mechanism, but my coping mechanism has a decent track record. I'm pretty sure I was writing the same stuff about the NFL lockout last year, and if anything, the sides are farther apart than I thought they'd be now. The NBA labor negotiations are going to be an abject mess...the NFL could survive by just reinstating what they had last year...the NBA cannot.

If Rose hits one of those 2 jumpers at the end of the last game, you would probably have a completely different outlook at the moment. 2-2, Bulls at home. Now that he missed both shots, you are doom and gloom proclaiming the Heat as god. Seems a bit off.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 26, 2011 -> 01:11 PM)
Except for when they had a chance to win Game 4 with a couple seconds left. Or had it tied late in the 4th in Game 3.

Yeah. Other than that they had no hope. :bang

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 26, 2011 -> 01:09 PM)
You want to give me odds on Boozer, Noah, Rose and Deng all being healthy at the same time next year (assuming a full season happens...a short season could keep them healthier).

What's the point of this comment? That rarely happened this year.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 26, 2011 -> 01:12 PM)
Yeah. Other than that they had no hope. :bang

Edited for correctness, they were within 2 early in the 4th of Game 3. In Game 2, they were tied with ~7 minutes to go. Tuesday, they were one shot away from winning it in regulation.

But we may as well crown them 2011 champions, 2012 champions, hell, give 'em a 6-peat and don't even worry about the looming lockouts.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 26, 2011 -> 02:10 PM)
Any chance a Bill Cartwright or Kareem works with Noah in the offseason on figuring out how to actually be a scorer down low?

At least IMO, Noah was a better scorer before his injury this year. I don't think he's had the top of the lane shot working at all since he hurt his hand.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 26, 2011 -> 12:46 PM)

You can't obviously just hand the Heat the next 5 titles. I think what Balta means, and I've said this many times, that no team is set up better to, well, flat dominate for the next 5 years than the Heat are. They're a win away from the finals and they've been together for like 5 minutes. Everybody talked about how bad their supporting cast was. And again, a win away from the finals. I don't mean to sound repetitive (and I admit I have a nasty habit with that), but superstars win out in the NBA. The Bulls had Jordan. He took a break and the Rockets had Hakeem. Shaq, Kobe and Duncan have collected like every ring since 2000. Now it's the Heat.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 26, 2011 -> 01:28 PM)
You can't obviously just hand the Heat the next 5 titles. I think what Balta means, and I've said this many times, that no team is set up better to, well, flat dominate for the next 5 years than the Heat are. They're a win away from the finals and they've been together for like 5 minutes. Everybody talked about how bad their supporting cast was. And again, a win away from the finals. I don't mean to sound repetitive (and I admit I have a nasty habit with that), but superstars win out in the NBA. The Bulls had Jordan. He took a break and the Rockets had Hakeem. Shaq, Kobe and Duncan have collected like every ring since 2000. Now it's the Heat.

There are no other stars in this league that can elevate their game to elite status within the next few years. Durant/Westbrook will get worse, Rose/(whichever shooter they acquire) will suck, Melo/Stoudemire will lose 60 games, etc. It's a forgone conclusion. The Heat will sweep their way through the playoffs for 5 more years. And Wade will become even healthier as he gets older.

Edited by BigSqwert

Dirk is not a superstar!

Every team has superstars, Miami has Lebron, OKC has Durant, Dallas has Dirk, Bulls have Rose.

After the bulls lost to the pistons, no one would have imagined that theyd win 6 championships. After the Bulls beat the Lakers, no one was still talking 6.

Acting like Miami has 1 championship is as premature as people believing that Miami was going to win 72 games, still a lot of season to go, let alone 7 years from now.

Bulls had a chance, and they have played pretty poorly outside of Game 1 and a few stretches in the other 3.

Miami isnt exactly blowing me away with how great they are.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 26, 2011 -> 02:28 PM)

This will be the first NBA finals since 1979 that does not feature at least 1 of these players:

Magic Johnson

Larry Bird

Michael Jordan

Isiah Thomas

Hakeem Olajuwan

Shaquille O'Neal

Tim Duncan

Kobe Bryant

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 26, 2011 -> 01:28 PM)

This entire prediction/estimation talk is based strictly in a vacuum assuming NOTHING changes for the foreseeable future, including a major injury to any on of the Big 3 in Miami and including any free agent moves or trades. It is bulls***. Just the same as the talk early this season that the Heat were going to not only tie, but SHATTER the bulls 72-10 mark.

And lets not forget here, the Bulls also have "been together for like 5 minutes" and their record went +20 in the win column. And the Heat havent even won the title this season

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 26, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
Bulls had a chance, and they have played pretty poorly outside of Game 1 and a few stretches in the other 3.

Miami isnt exactly blowing me away with how great they are.

After game 2 I said exactly this.

I've totally changed my tune.

Miami is blowing me away with how they're beating the Bulls despite the Bulls throwing the kitchen sink at them on defense. Miami is out-offensing the bulls and out-defensing the Bulls.

That's blowing me away.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 26, 2011 -> 02:36 PM)
And lets not forget here, the Bulls also have "been together for like 5 minutes" and their record went +20 in the win column. And the Heat havent even won the title this season

The Heat haven't "been together for like 5 minutes" too?

I'm debating whether I want to even watch the game tonight. The last 3 games have resulted in me going to bed and laying there angry for several hours, not being able to fall asleep.

And the chance of seeing Douche James celebrating after a victory nauseates me.

Edited by BigSqwert

Quick question:

I have been saving the Bulls highlights from each playoff game into my computer. the plan was to create a tribute video if the made it to the finals, or won the championship. If the Bulls fail to make the finals, should I still make the video?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 26, 2011 -> 01:42 PM)
Quick question:

I have been saving the Bulls highlights from each playoff game into my computer. the plan was to create a tribute video if the made it to the finals, or won the championship. If the Bulls fail to make the finals, should I still make the video?

I would just wipe the hard drive.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 26, 2011 -> 01:33 PM)

That has been almost entirely because of the level of defense Miami plays. It isn't like the Bulls are getting and missing a ton of open looks, just about every offensive possession lately has been a struggle for the Bulls to get a good look at the basket.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 26, 2011 -> 01:37 PM)
After game 2 I said exactly this.

I've totally changed my tune.

Miami is blowing me away with how they're beating the Bulls despite the Bulls throwing the kitchen sink at them on defense. Miami is out-offensing the bulls and out-defensing the Bulls.

That's blowing me away.

And yet the Bulls, with considerably less star power including not having the most talented player in the NBA, were one shot away from the series being 2-2 and had a legitimate chance in Game 2. With no SG and Noah seriously regressing. And Korver, one of their main scoring threats, missing everything.