2010-2011 NBA Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sircaffey @ May 27, 2011 -> 01:34 PM)
What should he have done?

traded away the key to our awesome bench for a below average SG who's poor defense would have evened out the slight offensive upgrade clearly.

FWIW, Rotoworld's latest mock has the Bulls taking Kansas SG Josh Selby and Purdue F/C JaJuan Johnson

link

28. Bulls (via Heat) – Josh Selby SG Kansas

Selby has all kinds of potential but hasn't really lived up to the hype as of yet. The Bulls are lacking at shooting guard, which is really their only glaring need. They've got time to wait, as they certainly didn't struggle with a hole at the 2 during the regular season.

30. Bulls – JaJuan Johnson, F/C Purdue

He was the best scorer in the Big Ten and was named the Big Ten Player of the Year. He averaged 20.5 points, 8.6 boards and 2.3 blocks per game and would learn a lot playing behind Joakim Noah and Carlos Boozer. He may fall into Round 2, but I bet he performs well in workouts and ends up in the first round.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 26, 2011 -> 10:28 PM)
This happens to the Heat all the time. Typical superstar treatment. Every team has to deal with it basically.

What's surprising is that the god damn MVP couldn't get more free throws than freaking Chris Bosh.

There is something wrong there, it´s not like Rose didn´t attack the rim, he just wasn´t getting calls and on the other hand, LBJ was parked at the FT line.

Last 2 games the Heat had 71 FTAs to Chicago´s 43, come on.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2011 -> 07:16 PM)
A big man? Really?

Can you ever have too much size?

Especially with Kurt Thomas being very old and Boozer and Noah basically having 1.2 seasons between the 2 of them this year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2011 -> 02:07 PM)
What other teams were snubbed by the "big Three"? Which of those teams ended up with the one seed? Parting with Asik for what was out there would have been dumb. This front office knows what they are doing.

If the Bulls had traded for any SG who was moved or available, they'd have been swept by the Heat.

Who wants to see OJ Mayo guarding Wade for 30 minutes a game?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2011 -> 12:09 PM)
I do think the NBA union will fold a lot quicker than the NFL one.

Here's the real problem with that argument...the NFL lockout came first.

If the NFL union does not break, or scores some legal wins (they already have)...then they've written the rule book for the NBAPA.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 27, 2011 -> 12:14 PM)
The only issue is making it work under the cap. I'd have more fun speculating if I even knew whether there would be an NBA next year and how things will be structured.

Biggest problem I see...it's really hard for anything the league does cap-wise to hurt the Bulls less than it hurts the Heat. The Bulls and Heat currently have 3 really big contracts each (Deng, Noah, Boozer for the Bulls, and well, you know). Those 3 contracts are bigger than what the Bulls have to pay...

but this is Rose's extension season. He's a RFA next offseason, under the current rules, if he's not extended, which means whatever the maximum contract offer is under the new CBA, the Bulls will have to make it. That means the Bulls will have 4 $10 million+ deals, and 2 $15 million deals. The Bulls are guaranteed to be in worse shape relative to any hard cap than the Heat will be.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 27, 2011 -> 07:40 AM)
I don't entirely buy this. Wade is 29 and is breaking down more and more every game. Bosh is still inconsistent and unless something happens with the CBA, they still won't be able to bring in supporting players that will fill holes.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2011 -> 01:05 PM)
About all I have to say about this is go Mavs, I won't watch a second of the series, and fix the CBA quickly.

1.) Bosh looks pretty damn good to me.

2.) Why wouldn't you watch the series? Dirk vs. the Big 3 is kind of compelling I think.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 28, 2011 -> 12:22 AM)
1.) Bosh looks pretty damn good to me.

2.) Why wouldn't you watch the series? Dirk vs. the Big 3 is kind of compelling I think.

I won't watch a second of it either.

1 on 3 is all you need to know of why. It's already rigged. It's been rigged since those 3 rigged it last july.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2011 -> 07:57 PM)
Here's the real problem with that argument...the NFL lockout came first.

If the NFL union does not break, or scores some legal wins (they already have)...then they've written the rule book for the NBAPA.

NBA players also have guaranteed contracts, longer careers, and less injury risk (both in the short and long term). I don't see how they would fold faster than the NFL players. I think it's the absolute opposite.

I disagree with you that it's rigged though. The Bulls had their shot at the end of game 4, and outright blew game 5 (although game 5 would have been a different story had the Bulls won game 4). The offseason last year was rigged, and the NBA has rigged games in the past. But the Heat are just the best built team for the playoffs. Beating those 3 guys 4 out of 7 times is very, very tough. And I'll believe Dwight Howard when I see it. All I want in terms of realistic options is a league average SG that can get his own shot.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I'd say it has been one of the most awful 4 game experience for me as a Bulls fan ever. Miami's achille's heel has been their inability to beat elite teams and their inability (Lebron's) to finish out close games. The Bulls on the other hand, were mediocre at times against weak teams and has been superb against elite competition, they excelled in close games because D-Rose often times single handedly wins the game for the team.

But it seems like the trend has reversed completely this series. Lebron was ultra aggressive and got some big time buckets down the stretch, and Rose has failed time and time over again in end of the game situation. They embarrassed us by beating us at our own game on our home court, twice. That, plus the fact that our offense has been completely been shut down really makes this series one to forget. I really hope this will not be the trend going forward vs the Heat.

The only way for us to even compete with the Heat is to get an all star level SG, namely Ginobili or Eric Gordon. Even that, we aren't guaranteed to beat the Heat in the playoffs. Noah is garbage offensively when it matters, and Boozer is probably the worst big name playoff performer in the league today.

If we have to beat the Heat, we HAVE TO get Dwight Howard. The Bulls know that, D Rose knows that, and I think Howard knows that. He can only beat the Heat if he join the Thunder or the Bulls. With that, here are my fantasy trade proposals that will help push us past the heat :) but not a chance it's gonna happen.

Trade Noah, Boozer, Asik, and a future first round pick to the Magic for Howard, Duhon, and Daniel Orton. We have to get Howard, because Heat can stop D Rose, or Howard, but not both at the same time.

Trade Duhon, Orton, and a first round pick this year for Channing Frye. Frye would theoretically fit well with Howard and Rose because he can stretch the defense.

Trade a first round pick this year, and a future first round pick for Aaron Affalo. I really like this guy. He has become a really good shooter, handles and doesn't turn the ball over at all, and best of all, he is one of the few guys that can guard Wade well.

Sign a guy like JJ Barea or Mike Bibby to play the backup point. CJ Watson might be a decent defender, but mainly because he's in Thib's system, he is garbage when it comes to knocking down long shots and playing the point.

Bring back Kurt Thomas to play back up center or draft one in the 2nd round.

The lineup would look something like

Howard / Thomas

Frye / Gibson

Deng / Korver

Affalo / Brewer / Bogans

Rose / Barea or Bibby

We have to studs who demands double team every possession, and guys who can stretch the defense and yet still one of the top defensive units in the league. As bad as it sounds, getting Howard may be our only chance to get past the Heat.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

Boozer's contract is almost untradeable I'd argue at this point.

This is why I've said for a while, this season was the Bulls' best chance at winning a championship, because Boozer is getting past his prime, and with the Bulls' cap situation it's going to be hard for them to make upgrades.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 28, 2011 -> 09:30 AM)
Boozer's contract is almost untradeable I'd argue at this point.

This is why I've said for a while, this season was the Bulls' best chance at winning a championship, because Boozer is getting past his prime, and with the Bulls' cap situation it's going to be hard for them to make upgrades.

Under the current rules, the Bulls are in decent shape thanks to the MLE and the Veterans Exemptions, along with the expiring contract/trade rules, they can fill those spots in.

All of those bits are on the chopping block though.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 28, 2011 -> 01:32 AM)
Also, after thinking about it, Scottie is dead to me.

Absolutely dead.

Yeah, the NBA forum I visit is buzzing with this LBJ is the GOAT, Pip really let those LBJ fanboys go in a frenzy with those stupid comments...fortunately not all of MJ former teammates feel the same way.

Horace Grant, who won three titles alongside Jordan and Pippen with the Bulls, declined to back up Pippen.

"Pip is my man, and we will always be close but I totally disagree," Grant said on ESPN 1000 in Chicago. "LeBron is going to be one of the top players to ever play the game. But Michael Jeffrey Jordan, who we bumped heads with at times, is I think in my era, the best who ever played the game."

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

To be fair, didn't Scottie say afterwards that Michael is still the GOAT and that only LeBron could one day be the best ever? If that's what he meant, and let's for the love of the girl in my avy hope that's what he meant, I don't see a huge deal with that.

Edit: Unless you're just going to forever penalize LeBron for last summer. After what he did to Boston and us, I'm not going to do that anymore.

Edited by Jordan4life