2010-2011 NBA Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ May 30, 2011 -> 01:19 PM)
I'm glad you guys agree about RIP. To me, he is also a very good 6th man candidate at this point, but nothing more. I think it would be nice to pick him up, but at the same time, I still think we should pick up someone else.

Problem we're likely to run into is a combination of quality and availability. Clearly if we got last year's Hamilton, we wouldn't be getting anything more useful than what we already have, so we'd be hoping for an improvement. But, between the CBA uncertainty, the fact that we'd only have the MLE, and the other competitive teams, there's a lot of ifs.

If we wound up with Hamilton and nothing else, at least we've got a shot at an improvement.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ May 30, 2011 -> 12:19 PM)
I'm glad you guys agree about RIP. To me, he is also a very good 6th man candidate at this point, but nothing more. I think it would be nice to pick him up, but at the same time, I still think we should pick up someone else.

Rip is a great starting 2-guard option IMO. Gonna hit the open shots, great passer, can handle the ball, veteran with experience (finals included) and a solid defender with length. Big problem with him is the injury risk. He has played 55, 46 and 67 games the last three years. Injury trends like this are obviously not good. I would love to sign him on the cheap assuming he is bought out. But then at some point we are going to be back to square one when he is injured. I love him as a player though, so I think it makes perfect sense to bring him aboard as one of the solutions next year, though not the solution.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 30, 2011 -> 10:11 AM)

The officials are such a joke. The league really needs to just get rid of them and start over, because as long as the current batch is there, the aura of fix, cheating, and ineptitude will always be there. Although, I really think that'll be the case until David Stern is gone as commish too. He's the one that oversees these refs, and the fixed draft lotteries.

I enjoyed watching the NBA for a while this year and it was fun to get back into it. Then this Bulls/Heat series happened and ruined it all over again.

It's just amazing how many calls star players get while lesser players do lesser things and get called far more often. I recall seeing a play where like James and Wade went to double Rose on an outside shot and they hit his arm or something and there was no call. That's a foul 10 times out of 10 if the player isn't one of those 2.

If the NBA was called even relatively fair, this series would have been a lot closer and these star players would be getting T'ed up way more often simply because they'd actually end up having calls go against them.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 31, 2011 -> 02:07 AM)
FYI - This thread is the largest thread in Soxtalk history. If this thread was still with the other pre-Decision NBA thread it would have over 17,000 replies.

:cheers

Umm wow if true (from a local beat Orlando writer);

ORLANDO, Fla -- Magic center Dwight Howard spent the holiday weekend working on signing a two-year extension with the team, sources told Local 6 Sports Director David Pingalore late Monday.

Sources said the deal is all but signed by Howard. On Monday, Howard held an impromptu Memorial Day party for his Twitter followers and fans.

"I just got tired of everybody asking me 'Where am I gonna go? Are you going to stay? Everybody in Orlando is asking me'," Howard said. "So it was like, you know what? I want everybody to get their minds off something that is not gonna happen."

If Howard were to sign the extension, he would remain in an Orlando Magic uniform for four more seasons.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 31, 2011 -> 07:58 AM)
Wow is right. I wonder if he saw the negative blowback that the Big Three got and didn't want to be "that guy".

he wants the max under the current CBA

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 29, 2011 -> 11:01 AM)
He's a backup at this point, though. 2004 was a long time ago. He's never had great range. Doesn't offer defense or any playmaking ability. Not a good fit as a starter on this team.

This. Rip Hamilton is cooked.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 29, 2011 -> 11:42 AM)
i think if you put Rip on a contending team you would a Rip that is much closer to 2004 than to 2011.

Rip is 33 going on 34. I don't think the 33 year old Rip will be much closer to the 26 year old Rip than the 32 year old Rip. Age matters more in the NBA than any other sport.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 30, 2011 -> 01:16 PM)
Rip is a great starting 2-guard option IMO. Gonna hit the open shots, great passer, can handle the ball, veteran with experience (finals included) and a solid defender with length.

Wow. No. No no no no no no no.

One more time?

NO!

Drugs

r

bad

QUOTE (knightni @ May 31, 2011 -> 02:07 AM)
FYI - This thread is the largest thread in Soxtalk history. If this thread was still with the other pre-Decision NBA thread it would have over 17,000 replies.

Chicago = Bulls town.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 31, 2011 -> 07:50 AM)
Umm wow if true (from a local beat Orlando writer);

This would be one of the best things that could happen to the NBA... a star staying with his team ala Kevin Durant. Hopefully more do this and the league gets away from big 3s.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 30, 2011 -> 11:34 PM)
I enjoyed watching the NBA for a while this year and it was fun to get back into it. Then this Bulls/Heat series happened and ruined it all over again.

It's just amazing how many calls star players get while lesser players do lesser things and get called far more often. I recall seeing a play where like James and Wade went to double Rose on an outside shot and they hit his arm or something and there was no call. That's a foul 10 times out of 10 if the player isn't one of those 2.

If the NBA was called even relatively fair, this series would have been a lot closer and these star players would be getting T'ed up way more often simply because they'd actually end up having calls go against them.

Worst foul ever is still the Taj "wow" foul.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 31, 2011 -> 11:05 AM)
Worst foul ever is still the Taj "wow" foul.

He was walking away from the refs too. It'd be one thing if he was doing that in someone's face but the way that went down was ridiculous.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 30, 2011 -> 02:46 AM)

You know what's funny is that he's becoming more and more credible over time with his analysis of officiating, despite the fact that he rigged games. It's a lot like Jose Conseco becoming one of the most credible guys about steroids.

In the era of youtube and the internet, at some point the league is going to have to clean this stuff up. Once the casual viewer starts to believe the games are rigged, there goes the sport. I think that's where Cuban could make a huge difference if he starts publicly calling out the blown calls.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 31, 2011 -> 10:40 AM)
He was walking away from the refs too. It'd be one thing if he was doing that in someone's face but the way that went down was ridiculous.

Especially because of how many times Wade was literally in a refs face during that game.