2010-2011 NBA Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 09:48 PM)
Well this series is over. The team that wins game 3 in the finals when it was 1-1 coming in has never lost.

I'm going to go put a large wager on the Mavs to win game 3 now. :P

Though seriously, it wouldn't surprise me if they got a lot of similar calls to those last few minutes so the league can avoid the Heat going up 3-1 with the last two on their floor.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 09:54 PM)
There's absolutely no way that's true.

I heard it 3 or 4 times on Sportscenter. And going back in my mind, I can't remember a situation where the team that lost game 3 when the series was tied ever winning. I'll check basketballreference.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 10:00 PM)
I heard it 3 or 4 times on Sportscenter. And going back in my mind, I can't remember a situation where the team that lost game 3 when the series was tied ever winning. I'll check basketballreference.

If that is true then its just an amazing fluke. Being down 1-2 with 2 more consecutive home games doesnt put overwhelming odds on a team to come back. If the Mavs can protect home court the next 2 games and go back to Miami only needing to win 1 game then they have a good chance.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 12:47 AM)
Impressive win by the Heat...but I bet NBA wishes it was greater than a 2 point victory with the backcourt violation that will surely come into focus.

What about the travel from J Kidd on that DWade foul? They reviewed the play and still called a foul agst Miami.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 09:54 PM)
There's absolutely no way that's true.

Why not?

teams that win game 3 in a 1-1 tie win the series like 75% of the time in the playoffs alone.. its either 75 or 80, because I know I commented about that when the Bulls lost game 3

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 11:05 PM)
If that is true then its just an amazing fluke. Being down 1-2 with 2 more consecutive home games doesnt put overwhelming odds on a team to come back. If the Mavs can protect home court the next 2 games and go back to Miami only needing to win 1 game then they have a good chance.

That would take someone on the Mavs outside of Dirk coming up huge on the offensive end. I can see it happening in game 4 but I dont see it happening two games in a row.

Whoever(probably Dallas) loses this series is really going to be kicking themselves. Miami can say they should be up 3-0 and Dallas could say they should be up 2-1 if someone outside of Dirk could knockdown some shots consistently.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 11:32 PM)
So I was right as far as the 2-3-2 format goes. I have no clue about before that.

I wonder how many of those teams where the home team for the middle 3 games

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 06:23 AM)
It was kind of humorous how Miami couldn't get a call finally. Than depressing that Dallas couldn't take advantage of it. Can Jason Terry play worse right now?

Really blows that Caron Butler got hurt back in January. As good as Dallas is, they really don't have that legitimate #2 scoring option. A guy that you can't count on to get 16-20 PPG consistently. One night it's Marion. Another night it's Terry. Another night it's Barrea. It obviously hasn't bothered them to this point. But they've never seen a defense and superstar tandem like what Miami possesses.

The Golden State Warriors have named Mark Jackson, a 17-year NBA veteran as a player and current ABC/ESPN broadcaster, as the team’s new head coach, it was announced today. Jackson becomes the 24th head coach in franchise history and the 19th since the team moved to the West Coast in 1962. Per team policy, terms of the agreement were not announced.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 09:40 AM)
To be fair, I initially thought they meant all-time. Not just since the 2-3-2 format. That did sound kinda unbelievable. This is much more passable.

crazy that in a 7 game series, tied at 1-1, and certain thing happens in the THIRD game and you can pretty much call it a night..

Well at least I won't have to listen to Jackson on the Broadcast Booth no longer after this season.

Very interesting hire, and I actually applaud the Warriors owners for going down that pat and swinging for the fences. Sure they could have gone a safe option with a guy like Dwayne Casey, but that franchise needs some buzz, and Jackson is at least going to give the franchise more air time in the media's eyes.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicago-bu...-of-course.html

Bulls exploring Boozer trade, of course

After a 13-point, 10-rebound per game average during these playoffs, there's no question the Bulls aren't happy with Carlos Boozer, who was given a big five-year contract last offseason.

Sure, they'd love to trade him. But that isn't likely.

Still, rumors are floating around that the Bulls are exploring trades for the 6-9 forward, who averaged 17 and a half points and just under 10 rebounds during the regular-season.

Pro Basketball Draft tweeted on Saturday: "Speculation that the Bulls will explore deals with Boozer & might be willing to package 28 &/or 30 to help. CHI alarmed by his lapses on d."

Added Devon Alexandre of Midwest Sports Fans and Slam Online: "Insiders breaking word that the Chicago Bulls are looking into potential suitors for Carlos Boozer. This will not come as a surprise to many. After a post-season that included 12 ppg, 9.7 rpg, and 1.8 apg, it became clear that Boozer hasn't become what many thought he would: the Robin to Derrick Rose's Batman. Chicago could very well have realized that Taj Gibson has proven himself worthy of a starting job in Chicago, thus resulting in the preliminary thoughts of a Boozer trade. It should also be noted that Boozer was reportedly deemed to suffer from 'turf toe' this past season. Expect the Bulls to look for a second scorer on the perimeter, and to sweeten the deal, expect a pick or two to be thrown in."

Two things:

1) Take these "reports", "insiders" for what they're worth. But the idea isn't totally a new one. Since the season ended, Bulls fans have brought up potential Boozer trades.

2) Of course it's plausible for the Bulls to be exploring trades for Boozer. The Bulls are doing their due diligence, trying to make a wrong, a right.

Before we get on Boozer, remember, he suffered turf toe on his right big toe late in the season (in Game 5 versus the Indiana Pacers in the first round). Granted, his play was on a downward spiral even before that, but you can't question his toughness.

Yes, Boozer didn't play the way he or the Bulls wanted. Even before his terrible postseason, one which included just three 20-point, 10-rebound games, it seemed Boozer didn't have the same groove he did earlier in the season.

Carlos Boozer.jpg

He averaged nearly 20 points and 10 rebounds before the All-Star break -- exactly the kind of numbers the Bulls wanted, paid for. He gave them a low-post presence, and his ability to knock down jumpers made the pick-and-roll combination with Derrick Rose an effective option offensively.

Although in the second half, as Joakim Noah came back from his 30-game absence, Boozer averaged 15 points and nine rebounds. Not the numbers the Bulls needed and expected.

Trading Boozer would be beneficial for several reasons:

1) He's 29 years old, 30 in November. He clearly looks much older than that, though, as he seemed to get blocked at least three-to-four, if not five, times per game.

2) Due to his lack of production, it'd be great to get rid of him for a need, asset or cap relief.

3) That contract of his, which still has four years and $60-65 million left, stinks.

The only problem is: Other teams know that, and that's why making a Boozer deal is nearly impossible.

We can talk all we want about the Bulls "exploring" Boozer deals, but, clearly, they will. It's their job to do so. They will see what they can fetch for Boozer throughout the offseason. The issue is: No team wants him, mainly due to his declining play and hideous contract.

How can the Bulls deal Boozer?

Take on a contract equally as bad, if not worse. Basically, take on another team's issue for yours.

The Bulls' best bet is to hope Boozer rests, recuperates and works hard this offseason. You can only bash him so much, but the fact of the matter is he simply didn't look the same in the second half of the season -- yes, even before the turf toe. Could something have been ailing him prior to that? We won't know. It's up to him to work to regain health and improve his conditioning this summer, that's for sure.

Can tell you this much: There will be plenty of Carlos Boozer trade rumors in the coming weeks and months. Are they onto something? Maybe, though it's obvious there will be some trade talk around Boozer, as he's a fading "star" who failed to give the Bulls what they needed this season.

What are the possible destinations for Boozer?

Alexandre writes: "Potential teams the Bulls could look to deal with are the Warriors, Sixers, and possibly the Rockets."

The Golden State Warriors need another defensive downgrade?

The Philadelphia 76ers need another aging, declining power forward (the other being Elton Brand)?

The Rockets are looking for Lois Scola's replacement?

Take these "rumors" with a grain of salt. The Bulls will try, but unless they agree to take on a contract as bad as Boozer's, they'll probably be forced to stay put.

Read more: http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicago-bu...l#ixzz1Oc0WnVQM

That this is the time to abandon notions of what is a 'bad salary' (great teams can have bad salaries for good players), and not to buy the boogeymen speculations of the league's new CBA forcing the Bulls to immediately cut Derrick Rose or ask Luol Deng to convert some of his gamecheck nightly to Dave and Busters credits.
Link. That's my reply.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 05:10 AM)
Well at least I won't have to listen to Jackson on the Broadcast Booth no longer after this season.

Very interesting hire, and I actually applaud the Warriors owners for going down that pat and swinging for the fences. Sure they could have gone a safe option with a guy like Dwayne Casey, but that franchise needs some buzz, and Jackson is at least going to give the franchise more air time in the media's eyes.

I wonder.If he will coach.Like he talks.In the broadcast booth.Because.That.Could get old.Very.Very.Quickly