2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 06:29 PM)
He's bigger than Carlos boozer for crying out loud.

If he gave a s*** about his post game, he could get himself close to all time greatest territory. But he never has, and I doubt he ever will. Which is a bit of a waste.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 01:40 PM)
Wait, what? What's going on?

Philly's desperate to trade Iggy's contract so they can move both Turner and Young into the starting lineup.

Iggy would give Orlando for instance a quality perimeter defender which they don't have ATM, although his contract is something like 56/3 left on it (but that's just off the top of my head).

Golden State's shopping Ellis big time because they realize a Curry / Ellis backcourt just ain't gonna cut it defensively. I actually wonder if the Nets would go after Ellis and pair him with Deron Williams to try and convince him to stick around (Outlaw + something maybe)?

Chicago would be hard pressed to acquire Ellis or Iggy without giving up either Deng or Boozer in a trade.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 04:51 AM)
Chicago would be hard pressed to acquire Ellis or Iggy without giving up either Deng or Boozer in a trade.

If a team is serious about rebuilding that Bobcats pick ought to look pretty good, but it's a long-term asset at best.

Barkely's just like a random internet message board poster.

When asked if Miami is the worst professional sports town, Barkley, who reiterated his admiration of LeBron James and Dwyane Wade, said: "Yeah they have the worst fans. No question. It's not even loud in there. You're at the game and you are like, 'Man this place isn't even loud.' At least when you go to Chicago, it's loud in there, it's crazy down in Dallas but it's not even loud in Miami."

When the Heat were playing the Chicago Bulls in the Eastern Conference finals, Barkley said he liked James and Wade personally, but he called the Heat a "whiny bunch." He didn't back off that charge on Wednesday when he was a guest on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000.

"Listen, if the Miami Heat were playing the Washington Generals I would pick the Washington Generals," Barkley said with a chuckle. "It's something about that team that annoys me.

"They just a whiny bunch and I can't root for them."

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 05:41 PM)
I love Bill Simmons's writing style.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 06:57 PM)
Same here. That was a fantastic read.

You guys really need to read "The Book of Basketball"... it was the fastest 700 pages I've ever read.

I also recommend "Now I Can Die in Peace", even though it's Red Sox-centric, it's still many, many pages of BS. I've been waiting for them to launch Grantland since he and Klosterman (another great writer) started plugging it almost a year ago. Klosterman's article that went up today on why DVR'd sports are a fail is quite good as well.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 09:47 AM)
Sportscenter just showed about 5-6 plays of LBJ completely standing still on offense in the 4th, he needs to at least move around and be a decoy. However, he played some quality defense.

The funniest thing was they showed his pregame speech and it sounded so unnatural, basically sounded like somebody gave him some talking points and he just kept repeating them.

That has been my biggest complaint about his game. The taking plays off of on the defensive end. He is an elite defender when he wants to be. There are other times where he is Ben Gordon on D.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 09:24 AM)
You guys really need to read "The Book of Basketball"... it was the fastest 700 pages I've ever read.

I also recommend "Now I Can Die in Peace", even though it's Red Sox-centric, it's still many, many pages of BS. I've been waiting for them to launch Grantland since he and Klosterman (another great writer) started plugging it almost a year ago. Klosterman's article that went up today on why DVR'd sports are a fail is quite good as well.

My only issue with Simmons, both in his book and now grantland, is the excessive use of footnotes. I get that occasionally a footnote is a useful tool to provide a quick background on a topic that doesn't really fit with the article you're writing. But frankly, if it's not worth being in the article, it's not worth reading 99% of the time, and more often than not it really messes up the flow of the material.

I thought the Lebron piece was great. It's nice to see a national writer who's not annoying (see: Doyel) write what he thinks without having to worry about whether the star player will get upset [though how funny is it that Doyel basically formed the narrative that would follow after game 4). Hopefully Simmons and grantland.com will be a good source for this. It's basically a corporate and more serious version of deadspin, which i'm a huge fan of.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 09:36 AM)
My only issue with Simmons, both in his book and now grantland, is the excessive use of footnotes. I get that occasionally a footnote is a useful tool to provide a quick background on a topic that doesn't really fit with the article you're writing. But frankly, if it's not worth being in the article, it's not worth reading 99% of the time, and more often than not it really messes up the flow of the material.

The footnotes are the best part about "The Book of Basketball". They are there for comedy, mostly. Oh man, they are hilarious.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 09:32 AM)
That has been my biggest complaint about his game. The taking plays off of on the defensive end. He is an elite defender when he wants to be. There are other times where he is Ben Gordon on D.

C'mon now. That's just wrong.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 10:13 AM)
More like Jamal Crawford. Where he's just standing there and acting like he's playing d, but really isn't going to move at all.

That works too. The point is the whole taking plays off thing. I hate that.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 04:22 PM)
Yes, get over the fact that LeBron did not sign with the Bulls last summer. That's where 99% of the hate comes from. He went to Miami. Let it go.

My issue with the NBA has little to do with LeBron. He's not a good guy at all, but whatever. My only problem with him is that for all of his gifts, he still underachieves (which shows how great his gifts are, he's still the best player in the world) and tends to have moments where the moment feels too big for him (like game 4). But that's not a problem with the league, it's more an issue where I think LeBron could be greater. I stand by the fact that the hateable figure on that team, clearly, is Dwyane Wade. Even though nobody agrees with me.

My NBA issues are with the fradulent officiating, apparent lack of transparency, the fact that the first 3 quarters of about 90 percent of game are completely meaningless, the entire system of the league (the joke of a "salary cap", complete lack of control that teams have, etc) is set up poorly, and so on. I'm hoping that through the long lockout we'll have next season, some aspects of the league will be fixed. But that will be a challenge.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 10:41 AM)
My issue with the NBA has little to do with LeBron. He's not a good guy at all, but whatever. My only problem with him is that for all of his gifts, he still underachieves (which shows how great his gifts are, he's still the best player in the world) and tends to have moments where the moment feels too big for him (like game 4). But that's not a problem with the league, it's more an issue where I think LeBron could be greater. I stand by the fact that the hateable figure on that team, clearly, is Dwyane Wade. Even though nobody agrees with me.

My NBA issues are with the fradulent officiating, apparent lack of transparency, the fact that the first 3 quarters of about 90 percent of game are completely meaningless, the entire system of the league (the joke of a "salary cap", complete lack of control that teams have, etc) is set up poorly, and so on. I'm hoping that through the long lockout we'll have next season, some aspects of the league will be fixed. But that will be a challenge.

Ummm why do you think nobody agrees with you? There is a lot of hatred towards Wade for his little undercover operation he pulled on the Bulls last offseason. It was a total b**** move

I don't mind wade because he plays hard and risks his body. He also doesn't ham it up for the crowd as much as lebron. I love that derrick rose is an awesome individual, but i'd still love him if he was only really dedicated on the court.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)
Pretty stupid if you ask me. What the hell is Butler going to be able to give them at this point?

Im pretty sure we said the same thing about Haslem in game 2 of the ECF. I will reserve judgement until I actually see him play

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 10:41 AM)

Excellent post. See, you went into detail. Most everybody else was saying they were going to quit the NBA simply if Miami won it. I've gotten used to the inadequacies of NBA referring. That's why it doesn't bother me as much. It's not just the NBA. It's the NFL. The MLB. The NHL. Wait, hockey doesn't really count. All the other things you referred to could change dramatically when all is said and done. All that said, this has been the most entertaining season since the Jordan era, IMO. Look at the replies in this thread. That's not just coincidence. The young stars we have today are pretty breathtaking. The skills, quickness and athleticism on display every night is as good, or better, than it's ever been. There's a lot of good things about the NBA. That's all i'm saying. I would never just stop watching.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 11:16 AM)
Excellent post. See, you went into detail. Most everybody else was saying they were going to quit the NBA simply if Miami won it. I've gotten used to the inadequacies of NBA referring. That's why it doesn't bother me as much. It's not just the NBA. It's the NFL. The MLB. The NHL. Wait, hockey doesn't really count. All the other things you referred to could change dramatically when all is said and done. All that said, this has been the most entertaining season since the Jordan era, IMO. Look at the replies in this thread. That's not just coincidence. The young stars we have today are pretty breathtaking. The skills, quickness and athleticism on display every night is as good, or better, than it's ever been. There's a lot of good things about the NBA. That's all i'm saying. I would never just stop watching.

It's the Bulls being really, really good, for the first time in about a dozen years.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)
Pretty stupid if you ask me. What the hell is Butler going to be able to give them at this point?

Udonis Haslem turned the series around for Miami in the ECF. So who knows?