2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Felix @ Dec 12, 2010 -> 12:48 PM)
It's hard to be the best player in the league when you aren't even the best at your position. Stop drinking the kool-aid, Bulls fans. Rose is great and still incredibly young, and might some day be the best PG in the league, but he's not yet.

The best PG's in the league now weren't the best in their 3rd seasons either, were they?

That said, he's top 6 in the league without argument. DWill, CP3, Nash, Rondo, Westbrook, and Rose. That's your conversation until Wall moves in.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2010 -> 12:24 PM)
The best PG's in the league now weren't the best in their 3rd seasons either, were they?

I never said they were. Read what I said. I never said Rose wasn't a great player, and I never denied that his future in incredibly bright.

But right now? He's not the best point guard in the league, and certainly not the best player in the league.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2010 -> 12:24 PM)

That said, he's top 6 in the league without argument. DWill, CP3, Nash, Rondo, Westbrook, and Rose. That's your conversation until Wall moves in.

Why are we looking at D-Rose as a pure point guard. Right now, in a game I had to win, I'm taking Derrick Rose over anyone on that list. He can score from f***ing anywhere and he can set his teammates up.

He is amazing.

whoa, rose the best player in the court already?

he is still very inefficient on the offensive end, i.e. turning the ball over too much, doesn't draw enough fouls*, average at best at free throw shooting, tends to over dribble and takes way too many shots for a point guard. I'd like to see him take around 17 shots a game and score 20 points or so and get a dozen assists instead. He's getting better at playing man to man defense, but still gets caught by screens too often, and i'd like to see him put in more hustle and get some steals for a change.

I rather rate the best bg in the league right now on a rating scale, like in a video game, because the margin between them is getting very close.

CP3 93, DWill 92, Rondo 91, Westbrook 90, Rose 90. Nash 88.... John Wall 86. The margin between the top 5 pgs is so close that if anyone puts a dominating performance this season, he could very well be recognized as the best pg in the league by the end of the year. And if rose continues to improve on the aforementioned areas, he could be the one.

*yea yea yea.. I hate to bring up this point and will probably draw a lot of negative responses, but yea sometimes rose does get hit right in the head and yet the refs don't blow the whistle. but that happens to virtually anyone in the league. I was watching a heat game the other day and the same s*** happened to lebron. we just feel like rose is the sole victim because we watch the bulls more. The theory that all the refs in the league are conspiring against rose does not float.

It is very simple, when rose drives to the hoop, he corkscrews and contorts his body in anyway possible to avoid contact and finish the shot (he probably makes the most double clutch layups of anyone in the league), rather than absorbing contact then finish the play, i.e. the one he had against Varejao in the final minute of the Cavs game. yea he gets hit sometimes and the refs miss a call here and there, but it's more on him than it is on the refs.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 01:07 AM)
Why are we looking at D-Rose as a pure point guard. Right now, in a game I had to win, I'm taking Derrick Rose over anyone on that list. He can score from f***ing anywhere and he can set his teammates up.

He is amazing.

Because pure point guard's are usually better than scoring point guards.

Rose's defense drops him down that list, pure and simple.

He improves that, then you can put him on the same level as CP3 IMO.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 02:02 PM)
Because pure point guard's are usually better than scoring point guards.

Rose's defense drops him down that list, pure and simple.

He improves that, then you can put him on the same level as CP3 IMO.

Right but the point is Rose is a good PG in distributing but he also is probably the most dynamic scorer in that position as well. His defense is lacking for sure, but I think under a heavy defensive minded coach he will improve.

I guess I could understand the efficiency argument for Rose, but someone HAD to step up and take those shots while Boozer was out. And a part of his FG% drop is the increase in 3 point attempts. And right now, Rose is shooting 41.6% from 3, which is beautiful. He's .03% above Korver and .03% below Ben Gordon. I'll take that. He's the 4th leading scorer in the NBA and is averaging 8.1 assists. And just for comparison, both Rondo and Westrbook average more TO's per game than Rose, but Rose is well below both in steals.

Yes, he can improve on is defense, but really, that's the only thing I could complain about.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 07:01 PM)
Bulls next games through Jan 8:

Pacers

@ Raptors

Clippers

76ers

@ Wizards

@ Knicks

@ Pistons

Bucks

Nets

Cavs

Raptors

@ Nets

@ 76ers

Celtics

. . . The Bulls record after this string of games might be pretty scary.

But you know they'll blow games they shouldn't. It's just a matter of which ones.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 09:05 PM)
But you know they'll blow games they shouldn't. It's just a matter of which ones.

If they're going to be an elite team like they could be, then they better cream the teams they should. That's where the veterans like Bogans and Boozer need to help out the young guys.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 08:05 PM)

I don't expect them to win the next 14 games (13 now 1-0). But the probably should 11-3, 10-4, or 9-5. They certainly have the talent to do so.