2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 02:03 PM)
I agree that their interior defense is a question but they are currently 2nd in the NBA in defense so even that issue may be a little overblown.

It's overblown in the sense that 95% of NBA teams don't have the inside depth and talent for Miami to have issues. The positive as a Heat fan is that we have garbage centers like Dampier, Anthony, and Magloire that can put a lot of hard fouls on people.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 02:03 PM)
I agree that their interior defense is a question but they are currently 2nd in the NBA in defense so even that issue may be a little overblown.

I don't think their perimeter D is much of an issue at all, so that helps the overall numbers a bit. So does competition to some extent.

They've been kind of hit or miss inside, holding their own some games but allowing some HUGE lines against them from big men this year. (Millsap putting up 46 on them was easily the most memorable, and Okafor going 12-13 from the floor was just as dominant).

Will they be able to stop Gasol/Bynum/Odom from destroying them 4 or 5 times in a series? What about Dwight? Noah and Boozer? KG? I just don't know.

I think Dampier and Anthony can be serviceable and Ilgauskas can handle the more slow-footed big men, but against the elite big men I think it could definitely hurt them a lot. Of course the other team also has to prevent Wade and Lebron from putting up some nutty numbers, so it might even out.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 12:00 PM)
Because depth doesn't matter in the playoffs nearly as much. This isn't college. If we play the Heat, they'll feature 3 of the 4 best players on the court.

Disagree. The Bulls match up very well against the heat. They wont be able to defend Boozer and Rose whatsoever. Noah cancels out Bosh completely. I think the Bulls have a VERY good shot in the east.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 12:20 PM)
The Celtics are the beasts of the east. I've watched a few of their games and KG looks considerably better than he did last year. All I was saying that if we played the Heat in the playoffs that we'd have little to no shot. Would I love to be wrong? Of course.

My big worry about the Heat is we have no shutdown defenders in the backcourt, which is where Miami is the strongest.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 01:01 PM)
My big worry about the Heat is we have no shutdown defenders in the backcourt, which is where Miami is the strongest.

Ronnie Brewer is a well above average defender. So that helps to an extent. Bogans ain't bad defensively either.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 02:57 PM)
Disagree. The Bulls match up very well against the heat. They wont be able to defend Boozer and Rose whatsoever. Noah cancels out Bosh completely. I think the Bulls have a VERY good shot in the east.

I seriously doubt it works out like that. Noah would probably guard whichever s***ty center Miami has in the game so he can help off them on Wade/Lebron drives. That means Boozer probably guards Bosh most of the time, which he doesn't have nearly the foot speed to accomplish.

As a Bulls' fan, there would be several things that would worry me:

1) The Heat going with a Wade/Miller/Lebron/Bosh/s***ty Center X combination. The Bulls backcourt is bad defensively. They would have to choose between Rose giving Miller wide open 3's the whole game or Wade blowing by him repeatedly and potentially getting Rose in foul trouble.

2) Whomever the Bogans/Brewer/Korver trio guards is probably going to go off, and if Rose is guarding Arroyo that's probably Wade.

3) Boozer isn't exactly quick or a good help defender. He'll do some damage on the board, but chasing around Bosh or having to help on drives is going to end poorly.

4) Is Deng really going to be a factor matched up against Lebron all series? I kind of doubt it.

The Bulls could definitely take advantage on the glass and Boozer should get a lot of good shots, but everything else pretty much falls on Rose. If he's great they might have a shot, but Arroyo and Chalmers aren't total scrubs defensively and Wade will probably guard him at times.

Brewer is a pretty good defender though Zoom, even if the other two arent that great. The Bulls are just as hard to defend as the Heat simply because Rose is unguardable by another PG and the pick and roll with Boozer is dynamic. I like them against the Heat to be totally honest. The Celtics may pose a bigger threat.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)

How do you figure that Noah cancels out Bosh completely? Is it the fact that he put up 26.5 and 11.5 against the Bulls last year? Or 24 and 11 the year before that? And Miami might not be able to defend Rose or Boozer but the Bulls sure as hell can't defend Lebron or Wade. Lebron with a much worse supporting cast destroyed this Bulls team last year. Destroyed might not even be a strong enough word. And adding Boozer's awful help D sure as hell isn't going to help stop Lebron from driving. Brewer is average defensively, Korver awful, Bogans average. None of those guys is going to be able to do a damn thing to stop Wade or Lebron. And if you put Noah on Bosh then the paint is wide open for those guys and your defense gets shredded.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 04:35 PM)
How do you figure that Noah cancels out Bosh completely? Is it the fact that he put up 26.5 and 11.5 against the Bulls last year? Or 24 and 11 the year before that? And Miami might not be able to defend Rose or Boozer but the Bulls sure as hell can't defend Lebron or Wade. Lebron with a much worse supporting cast destroyed this Bulls team last year. Destroyed might not even be a strong enough word. And adding Boozer's awful help D sure as hell isn't going to help stop Lebron from driving. Brewer is average defensively, Korver awful, Bogans average. None of those guys is going to be able to do a damn thing to stop Wade or Lebron. And if you put Noah on Bosh then the paint is wide open for those guys and your defense gets shredded.

This Bulls team? The team that is almost all new players?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 05:38 PM)
This Bulls team? The team that is almost all new players?

Other then Boozer the key guys are the same especially from a defensive perspective. Boozer is a very good player but he is truly awful defensively and Brewer and Bogans sure as hell aren't going to slow LeBron down.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 04:47 PM)
Other then Boozer the key guys are the same especially from a defensive perspective. Boozer is a very good player but he is truly awful defensively and Brewer and Bogans sure as hell aren't going to slow LeBron down.

Well technically you would have Deng or Gibson on LeBron and Brewer on Wade. Brewer is a pretty good defender. You then put Noah or Boozer on Bosh, the other helps down low. This Bulls team is better both offensively and defensively than the Bulls teams the past few years. They are MUCH more dynamic offensively.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 08:23 PM)
He got paid and that was that.

Yep and when Otis Smith signed him he was all "Oh no, Rashard's very modest etc. he won't b**** etc. "but boy oh boy he was really fallen off the face of the map right now. That said, we get Redick in the starting 5, Lewis becomes a much better player.

I get worried about a whole Shaq scenario happening with Dwight in the future though if we don't fix things...

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 04:47 PM)

As a Jazz fan I know that Boozer and Korver are terrible defenders. Brewer did pretty well for the Jazz on defense.

Heat will be fine. When Miller comes back I'd imagine their rotation will be:

PG-Wade

SG-Miller

SF-LeBron

PF-Bosh

C-Ilgauskas

Bench:

Arroyo(who has played decently)

James Jones

Erik Dampier

Howard

You dont' need more than that in the playoffs. I'm sure the Heat are going to start blowing out teams other than Boston. Sad thing is, the playoffs may come down to who's the most healthiest team in the East. And that very well may be Miami. Too bad their fans will have no idea since they don't care about them.