2010-2011 NBA Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 09:26 PM)
The Heat are making puppy chow outta the Knicks tonight. The Big 3 look totally unstoppable. Miller will be back soon. They're gonna be a tough out come spring.

And you know...inside scoring and PG play were supposed to be the Heat's weaknesses.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 08:26 PM)
The Heat are making puppy chow outta the Knicks tonight. The Big 3 look totally unstoppable. Miller will be back soon. They're gonna be a tough out come spring.

The playoffs this year should be fantastic. The West always has some solid teams, but the second round and beyond in the East has some potentially amazing match ups. If all four teams are healthy, the Bulls, Magic, Heat and Celtics makes for a great final four. Of course, Atlanta could give someone trouble in the first round. Heat vs. Magic second round and Heat vs. Celtics conf. finals? Wow.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 09:12 PM)
And you know...inside scoring and PG play were supposed to be the Heat's weaknesses.

Meanwhile the Cavs just lost their 10th straight game and they've looked pretty bad in doing so. They've lost by an average of 17.5 PPG during the streak. Therefore really making LeBron look good in choosing to leave. It's amazing that team was able to accomplish what they did with that cast. I think Dan Gilbert needs to retract his little "I guarantee the fans of Cleveland will win a title before the Heat do" declaration. That franchise is so done.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 10:38 PM)
The playoffs this year should be fantastic. The West always has some solid teams, but the second round and beyond in the East has some potentially amazing match ups. If all four teams are healthy, the Bulls, Magic, Heat and Celtics makes for a great final four. Of course, Atlanta could give someone trouble in the first round. Heat vs. Magic second round and Heat vs. Celtics conf. finals? Wow.

I didn't even know you followed NBA. I figured you were strictly college.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 10:38 PM)
If all four teams are healthy, the Bulls, Magic, Heat and Celtics makes for a great final four. Of course, Atlanta could give someone trouble in the first round. Heat vs. Magic second round and Heat vs. Celtics conf. finals? Wow.

I think that's overrating the Bulls, who are a lot loser to NYK and Atlanta than any of the 3 other teams you name. And even within those, I expect BOS-Magic would be a fun series to watch. But with Miller back, I think the Heat will destroy anyone they play in the playoffs. Reports of the Heat's demise were greatly exaggerated...they're still the most talented team in the NBA and maybe in NBA history. I think by the end of the season they will have proved that out barring injury.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 01:31 AM)
I think that's overrating the Bulls, who are a lot loser to NYK and Atlanta than any of the 3 other teams you name. And even within those, I expect BOS-Magic would be a fun series to watch. But with Miller back, I think the Heat will destroy anyone they play in the playoffs. Reports of the Heat's demise were greatly exaggerated...they're still the most talented team in the NBA and maybe in NBA history. I think by the end of the season they will have proved that out barring injury.

They absolutely were, just as reports now of the Heat walking through the playoffs are completely exaggerated. Look, I still think the Heat are the best team in the NBA but they're not walking through the other top teams in the NBA once the playoffs arrive, there are too many really good teams around for that to happen.

And just because I like to say it, when/if the Bulls are fully healthy, they can compete with anyone this season.

Ummm wowee;

The Orlando Magic may announce a trade of Rashard Lewis to the Washington Wizards for Gilbert Arenas as soon as Saturday, Alex Kennedy of HOOPSWORLD reports, culminating a wild Friday night as rumors about the Magic's interest in the veteran shooting guard kicked into the highest of gears; please see the first two posts on the subject here and here.

Further, Kennedy says Magic franchise center Dwight Howard is pushing the team to make a deal, and Orlando continues to shop a package of swingman Vince Carter and backup center Marcin Gortat elsewhere around the league. From Kennedy's report:

One league source believes the roster changes in Orlando are being made to appease Dwight Howard, who hasn't been in a rush to sign a contract extension with the organization. Howard could opt out of his contract after next season and the Magic will do whatever it takes to keep their franchise player happy.

"I think they know they have to make a play since Dwight will be a free agent soon," said one source.

Kennedy says Orlando has engaged teams including the Denver Nuggets, Phoenix Suns, and Portland Trail Blazers to make a second deal, perhaps involving the aforementioned package of Carter and Gortat. Among the players discussed is Phoenix forward Hedo Turkoglu, who spent five seasons with Orlando, only to sign with the Toronto Raptors in the 2009 free-agency period. "Lon Babby, the president of basketball operations in Phoenix, allegedly didn't make the trip to Dallas recently so that he could continue working the phones," according to Kennedy.

Andrew Melnick of Howard the Dunk, citing a source, also says Howard is driving the Magic's desire to make a trade.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 02:14 PM)
I have no idea why the Magic appear to be so enamored with Arenas. The guy is a shell of the player he was 3-4 years ago. And it's rarely ever a good idea when a player plays the role of GM. It worked when Kobe went on his crybaby girl tantrum. But that was rare.

Same with Rashard Lewis though really.

I think a move definitely had to be made considering the improvements Boston and Miami have obviously made, and what we've shown over the past 6-7 games, and we may not be done.

Apparently it'll be a 1st + Lewis for Arenas, and then we're offering VC and Gortat around to see what we can get there.

Chris Broussard reporting that Vince Carter and Marcin Gortat for Jason Richardson and Hedo Turklogu is 90% done, and that Arenas for Lewis is still expected to go ahead.

Well talk about making a splash. We're going to have a very jumbled rotation at the 2/3 spot going forward if that's the case.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 07:27 PM)
I swear someone called me an idiot for saying that Gilbert Arenas to the Magic would be a possibility.

Can't remember if that was me, think I shot down that possibility at the time because I didn't see Arenas fitting into our system, and apprently SVG is very wary of acquiring him.

Pietrus is also going to Phoenix and we're getting Earl Clark back.

That said here's what our rotation is going to end up lookin like if this goes down;

PG - Nelson, Duhon, Williams

SG - Arenas, Redick

SF - J Rich / Turkloglu, Q Rich

PF - Turkloglu / Bass, Anderson

C - Howard, Allen, Orton

Richardson's an expiring deal, so we're basically swapping the contracts of Gortat, Pietrus and Lewis out for Hedo and Arenas.

Have very mixed feelings on Hedo, considering what he has since he left Orlando. He's an inconsistent player, but then again he moves the ball very well on offense and we haven't really been the same offensive team since he left. That contract is BAD though.

Otis Smith tends to think Arenas is a "sleeping giant". Whether he can ever get back to his form of a few seasons ago is doubtful, but I think he had a better chance than Lewis did considering he's only 28.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)
I swear someone called me an idiot for saying that Gilbert Arenas to the Magic would be a possibility.

I don't think anyone called you an idiot, i think they just said you stole it from a Bill Simmons article

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 07:31 PM)
Are the Magic just going to try and outshoot the living hell out of everyone? They're perimeter defense is going to take a hit.

Nelson/Arenas/Richardson/Hedo/Howard?

Well Carter's been pretty woeful defensively, and the way Carmelo Anthony tore us to shreds the other night was probably the final straw.

I would still like to keep Bass in the starting lineup, and play J Rich in a Jason Terry style 6th man actually.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 02:39 PM)
Well Carter's been pretty woeful defensively, and the way Carmelo Anthony tore us to shreds the other night was probably the final straw.

I would still like to keep Bass in the starting lineup, and play J Rich in a Jason Terry style 6th man actually.

I just don't think these moves make them better.

I think people understimate how much Lewis has regressed over the past season or 2.

That said, we're going to miss Gortat's size against the likes of Boston come playoff time.

I think a move had to be made as it's been said about Dwight Howard opting out of his contract next off-season.

However our TO ratio probably went up quite a lot with the acquisitions of Hedo and Arenas.

Is this the right move, I don't know. It's going to take Arenas at least half a season to learn SVG's complicated defensive schemes, and learn how to play the 1 in 4 out style of offense we employ.I'm hoping Hedo can get back to where he was when he made the NBA Finals but I think he's past his best, PHX have done well to dump that contract and get a decent big back.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 02:49 PM)
I think people understimate how much Lewis has regressed over the past season or 2.

That said, we're going to miss Gortat's size against the likes of Boston come playoff time.

I think a move had to be made as it's been said about Dwight Howard opting out of his contract next off-season.

However our TO ratio probably went up quite a lot with the acquisitions of Hedo and Arenas.

Is this the right move, I don't know. It's going to take Arenas at least half a season to learn SVG's complicated defensive schemes, and learn how to play the 1 in 4 out style of offense we employ.I'm hoping Hedo can get back to where he was when he made the NBA Finals but I think he's past his best, PHX have done well to dump that contract and get a decent big back.

It's just a gigantic exchange of bad contracts and bad/old/regressing players. Richardson is the best player in the deal.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 01:53 PM)
It's just a gigantic exchange of bad contracts and bad/old/regressing players. Richardson is the best player in the deal.

That's my point. That's why you don't let players play GM. MJ is a classic case of that. Seems like they're scrambling to appease Dwight Howard. How is Arenas + whatever in place of Carter + whatever an upgrade? Or Even Arenas for Lewis? Even Lewis can stretch the floor with his 3P ability. Something Arenas can't do.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 03:41 PM)
That's my point. That's why you don't let players play GM. MJ is a classic case of that. Seems like they're scrambling to appease Dwight Howard. How is Arenas + whatever in place of Carter + whatever an upgrade? Or Even Arenas for Lewis? Even Lewis can stretch the floor with his 3P ability. Something Arenas can't do.

Lews' 3PT% inly about 4 points higher than Arenas', 36 to 32.