2010-2011 NBA Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 02:02 PM)
Just someone who can be a non-D League guy.

I never liked Thomas much but he's better as a bench guy than a starter.

Rather than just joking, here's Charlotte's front court

Boris Diaw (Starting PF)

Nazr Mohammed (Starting C if he's ever healthy)

Desagana Diop

Tyrus Thomas

Eduardo Najera

Dominic McGwire

Only the last 2 make under $6 million this year ($2.8 for Najera and 0.8 for McGwire). Mohammed is the only expiring deal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 01:06 PM)
Just think about how much of a middle finger it would be to the NCAA rules...

Other than the exceptional talent, the thing that I like about Mayo is that to this point he's been extremely durable. He hasn't missed a single game through nearly 2 1/2 years [all but 14 of those were starts] and has placed third and sixth in minutes played the last two years. Not sure where he ranks this year. And that career .385 3PT percentage makes the mouth water a little bit more.

Hmmm... interesting. Jackson is obviously the most complete wing player available (can shoot, pass, playmaker, defend, good b-ball IQ etc..) but like any other deal it has it's pros like that and cons (age, contract, the fit, etc..) He was a borderline all-star last season and obviously needs a change of scenery. This would be a message that the Bulls are going for it this year. I would obviously love Mayo (or Smith) too (despite being more overrated now-a-days and is only still in name from his high school legacy) cause of age, potential, and a bigger window (though he'll have to be signed/extended as well as Rose) but if the Bulls "feel" they can win with that starting 5 (which would be an immense upgrade over Bogans) WITHOUT giving up too much depth, then they will consider it. I personally don't think Jackson, Smith or Mayo puts the Bulls over the top.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 02:38 PM)
I personally don't think Jackson, Smith or Mayo puts the Bulls over the top.

I don't know about this year, but within a year or two, I think Mayo probably does, if he can be fit into a working system.

This year, I'm not sure yet if anyone does, even Anthony...but Mayo or Jackson would give the Bulls a 100% legitimate shot, if they could be healthy going into the playoffs.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 01:43 PM)
I don't know about this year, but within a year or two, I think Mayo probably does, if he can be fit into a working system.

This year, I'm not sure yet if anyone does, even Anthony...but Mayo or Jackson would give the Bulls a 100% legitimate shot, if they could be healthy going into the playoffs.

Yeah, adding a guy like Mayo would be as much about 2012-2015 as it would be 2011. The Celtics won't be a factor much longer. Other than that GIANT elephant in the room that is the Heat, I'd really like our chances going forward. Even if we came up short this year.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 01:51 PM)
Yeah, adding a guy like Mayo would be as much about 2012-2015 as it would be 2011. The Celtics won't be a factor much longer. Other than that GIANT elephant in the room that is the Heat, I'd really like our chances going forward. Even if we came up short this year.

You've got the big 3 in Miami signed for 3 years, the Lakers will be there (even with a 34-35 year old Kobe) the Thunder are up and comming, New York is a piece or two away, etc.. The Bulls would be in better shape, but I just don't know if O.J. Mayo would be enough. Then again.. Derrick Rose can become mini/PG LeBron in 2 years and then my concerns are out the window.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 02:06 PM)
You've got the big 3 in Miami signed for 3 years, the Lakers will be there (even with a 34-35 year old Kobe) the Thunder are up and comming, New York is a piece or two away, etc.. The Bulls would be in better shape, but I just don't know if O.J. Mayo would be enough. Then again.. Derrick Rose can become mini/PG LeBron in 2 years and then my concerns are out the window.

The Lakers? Really? They're still a contender this year. But the clock is ticking, IMO. Fisher looks about done. Artest has declined considerably. Bynum is the NBA version of Nick Johnson. And I really don't see Kobe remaining a top 5 player at age 34. I agree with you about the Knicks and especially the Thunder, though.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 03:09 PM)
The Lakers? Really? They're still a contender this year. But the clock is ticking, IMO. Fisher looks about done. Artest has declined considerably. Bynum is the NBA version of Nick Johnson. And I really don't see Kobe remaining a top 5 player at age 34. I agree with you about the Knicks and especially the Thunder, though.

The Knicks are really weird right now though...they're in that position where they're now good enough that they won't get great draft picks, but where they really need someone else to help them out in order for them to take the next step. If Carmelo Anthony is 100% determined that he's going to play for the Knicks come what may, then either the Nuggets or Anthony will be the one helping them out.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 02:09 PM)

Thing is we don't know about future deals with that team. How many of us saw them pawning Pau Gasol off for nothing? Their FO is very smart. I have a sick feeling they will deal Bynum in the future and receive a better package than people might think. Same thing goes for other teams too. If The Clippers can actually stop being the Clippers (and I mean that in FO decisions as well) they will be good too in 2-3 years with their core and future top 5 picks.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 03:12 PM)
If The Clippers can actually stop being the Clippers (and I mean that in FO decisions as well) they will be good too in 2-3 years with their core and future top 5 picks.

Which is more likely, the Cubs winning the World Series or the Clippers front office not blowing it?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 02:11 PM)
The Knicks are really weird right now though...they're in that position where they're now good enough that they won't get great draft picks, but where they really need someone else to help them out in order for them to take the next step. If Carmelo Anthony is 100% determined that he's going to play for the Knicks come what may, then either the Nuggets or Anthony will be the one helping them out.

Yes. Anthony to the Knicks would definitely complicate matters.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 02:12 PM)
Thing is we don't know about future deals with that team. How many of us saw them pawning Pau Gasol off for nothing? Their FO is very smart. I have a sick feeling they will deal Bynum in the future and receive a better package than people might think. Same thing goes for other teams too. If The Clippers can actually stop being the Clippers (and I mean that in FO decisions as well) they will be good too in 2-3 years with their core and future top 5 picks.

I disagree about Bynum. I don't know how any team would touch him. And the Lakers are going to hit a slump once Kobe ultimately declines or retires. Blake Griffin and Eric Gordon is about as good a 1-2 punch to build around in the game aside from Durant and Westbrook. But they're still the Clippers.

Ugh, I hate Lebron so much now. Easily becoming the A-Rod of basketball:

"That's crazy, because I had no idea what the word 'contraction' meant before I saw it on the Internet," James said after the Miami Heat's practice Monday. "I never even mentioned that. That word never even came out of my mouth. I was just saying how the league was back in the '80s and how it could be good again. I never said, 'Let's take some of the teams out.' "

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/mia...tory?id=5960277

I love Avery Johnson's response..

Several players and league officials fired back in disagreement with James.

Nets coach Avery Johnson, who was part of the recruiting contingent that made a failed pitch to James in free agency last summer, also disagreed with James' notion that having a handful of teams loaded with star players would be a good thing for the NBA.

"Maybe the league would be better if we didn't have three stars on one team," Johnson said in a veiled reference to the Heat's trio of James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 04:17 PM)
I meant Memphis, Balta.

What extra PFs do they have?

The Grizzlies have Marc Gasol and Hasheem Thabeet as their Centers, with Zach Randolph and Darrell Arthur as their PF's, and someone named Hamed Haddadi as their 3rd C.

Randolph's contract is huge and expiring, Gasol is not under contract next year but they may have his rights as well. The other guys are young, of the sort that they might not be thrilled to move. Thabeet's salary is about $5 million, Arthur and Haddadi are around $1 million.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 03:18 PM)
Ugh, I hate Lebron so much now. Easily becoming the A-Rod of basketball:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/mia...tory?id=5960277

What so perplexing is that he basically became a Grade A cocksucker over night. Nobody truly disliked him, maybe the hype, but not him, until the Decision.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
The Grizzlies have Marc Gasol and Hasheem Thabeet as their Centers, with Zach Randolph and Darrell Arthur as their PF's, and someone named Hamed Haddadi as their 3rd C.

Randolph's contract is huge and expiring, Gasol is not under contract next year but they may have his rights as well. The other guys are young, of the sort that they might not be thrilled to move. Thabeet's salary is about $5 million, Arthur and Haddadi are around $1 million.

Haddadi is decent, but Memphis never took the time to develop him. BTW, he's onl his way to being locked up. They actually have a nice big rotation, but a lot of their guys are having their deals due up. I believe Randolph and Gasol are coming up soon. Gasol is a lock to stay, Zach, not so much.

For as much as I love Mayo, I would not give up Asik, Taj, and the Bobcats pick for him. it's 2 of the 3 and that's it.

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 03:46 PM)
Haddadi is decent, but Memphis never took the time to develop him. They actually have a nice big rotation, but a lot of their guys are having their deals due up. I believe Randolph and Gasol are coming up soon. Gasol is a lock to stay, Zach, not so much.

For as much as I love Mayo, I would not give up Asik, Taj, and the Bobcats pick for him. it's 2 of the 3 and that's it.

This shocks me coming from you. Weren't you the one that said the Bulls should've taken Mayo over Rose or that he was the better prospect?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
Yes. Anthony to the Knicks would definitely complicate matters.

I disagree about Bynum. I don't know how any team would touch him. And the Lakers are going to hit a slump once Kobe ultimately declines or retires. Blake Griffin and Eric Gordon is about as good a 1-2 punch to build around in the game aside from Durant and Westbrook. But they're still the Clippers.

I think Bledsoe will be a nice player for them as well. Honestly, they need DeAndre to pan out, or to trade him, Kaman and a pick for a legit big prospect. I do see the Lakers starting to decline sooner than we think. The Bulls could become great and one Miami whooping away from a championship with Mayo and they'd have a much wider window. New York needs Carmelo. Without him, they're stuck in the worst position possible. Good enough to win consistently, but not enough for a championship. Which means, they're going to have to pick from the bottom of the draft.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 03:54 PM)
This shocks me coming from you. Weren't you the one that said the Bulls should've taken Mayo over Rose or that he was the better prospect?

Yes. But at the same time, everyone knows Memphis must trade him. They're benching him and killing his value. Even when he's the only option available, they let him get hot, then bench him immediately almost to make sure nobody sees how good he is or can be. It's weird. It's happened about 3 times this year alone.

And to be fair, I'd still take Mayo over Rose back then only because I believe Mayo's game will translate better as they get older. Rose on the other hand is already having health problems. It's not good when you have tendinitis in your knees and have lost 3 inches off your vertical within 3 years.