2010-2011 NBA Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 05:40 PM)
The issue I see with Mayo is that he's not really a 2.

He's more of a 1 than a 2 but he's that classic sort of combo guard.

And he also needs the ball in his hands a lot to be effective. That would be an issue playing alongside Rose.

OJ Mayo is as 2 as a 2 can get. His problem is that he wants to handle the ball too much, which doesn't make him a one. It just makes him a selfish player.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 05:47 PM)
Or he chose to display it? Kobe was 10 times more hated than LeBron before the Decision.

It's not as if a switch flipped and LeBron suddenly became a douche. He has always been a "grade A cocksucker". The Decision just cemented the fact that he is an idiot with absolutely no foresight.

Kobe also has a massive ego and has done some sketchy things, but at least he isn't a complete moron like LeBron.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 06:57 PM)
OJ Mayo is as 2 as a 2 can get. His problem is that he wants to handle the ball too much, which doesn't make him a one. It just makes him a selfish player.

Which is my biggest problem with bringing him to Chicago. This is a really good team make up right now. We don't need a douchebag to come in and destroy that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 08:21 PM)
Which is my biggest problem with bringing him to Chicago. This is a really good team make up right now. We don't need a douchebag to come in and destroy that.

Unless that selfish douchebag had the initials M.J.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 09:01 PM)
Who out there that the Bulls are targeting can win six titles? Winning solves chemistry. Guys like Steven Jackson and OJ Mayo aren't winning anyone titles.

My point is, that most pro athletes have big egos and the only thing that helps a majority of the time is winning.

A good SG can go a long way to help improve the Bulls and make them title contenders. Attitude counts, but winning fixes many bad or questionable attitudes and reputations. (A.J., Rodman, McMahon, Artest, Carl Everett)

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 08:09 PM)
My point is, that most pro athletes have big egos and the only thing that helps a majority of the time is winning.

A good SG can go a long way to help improve the Bulls and make them title contenders. Attitude counts, but winning fixes many bad or questionable attitudes and reputations. (A.J., Rodman, McMahon, Artest, Carl Everett)

It can also destroy a team.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 09:27 PM)
Carlos Boozer was supposed to be a disruptive cancer. I haven't heard a peep about him yet.

He was?

The problem I had with him was that I expected him to be hurt for 20+ games a year, if not full seasons, and so far I've been right about that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 09:28 PM)
He was?

The problem I had with him was that I expected him to be hurt for 20+ games a year, if not full seasons, and so far I've been right about that.

Yes. He was hated in Cleveland and considered to be a locker room cancer in Utah.

http://www.sportsviews.com/blog/49991/The_...cers_in_the_NBA

7. Carlos Boozer – PF – Utah Jazz

Liar … punk … quitter … two-faced or all of the above? Boozer has been called all of the above – and then some throughout his seven-year career – and deservedly so.

Yes, he’s an all-star caliber forward that can go ‘off’ when the occasion hits him, but lest anyone forget, Boozer has never endeared himself to anyone, not even his teammates.

After giving the Cleveland Cavaliers the 52-Fakeout after just two seasons with the franchise, Boozer has mostly cried an whined about how he wants to get the hell out of Utah and play for his hometown Miami Heat (until he found himself without an offer this past offseason).

Never has a player been in such a good spot with a chance to win all the while complaining like somebody’s menstruating wife (sorry honey).

If I’m a GM, I say keep Boozer and his 20 points a game away from me for the serenity of my ballclub.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 08:35 PM)
Yes. He was hated in Cleveland and considered to be a locker room cancer in Utah.

http://www.sportsviews.com/blog/49991/The_...cers_in_the_NBA

Who wouldn't want to get out of Utah? That's not the best place to live.

Besides, he liked it there so much that he re-upped with them two off-seasons ago. I don't buy that.

I also found this to be funny as hell.

Greg Oden – C – Portland Trail Blazers

Oden is a really, really nice guy, but his numerous injuries have had to weight on his Blazers’ teammates and team management. Though it’s no fault of his own, Oden has turned into a locker room cancer.

So if he's a nice guy and all, how does that make him a locker room cancer? Because he's hurt a lot? The hell? It's not like he fakes his injuries and just sits on a La-Z-Boy while everybody else plays or something.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 08:47 PM)
Who wouldn't want to get out of Utah? That's not the best place to live.

Utah is actually a really nice area to live. Salt Lake is a great city and the fans there are some of the best in the league. Excellent atmosphere.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 11:40 PM)
Utah is actually a really nice area to live. Salt Lake is a great city and the fans there are some of the best in the league. Excellent atmosphere.

I don't think so. I've been to Utah and I almost died from boredom. This was like in 1999. And there's like no black folks. The only black people I can recall were Karl Malone, who's not really black, and Byron Russell .

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 01:13 AM)
I don't think so. I've been to Utah and I almost died from boredom. This was like in 1999. And there's like no black folks. The only black people I can recall were Karl Malone, who's not really black, and Byron Russell .

Was Bryon Russell absent?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 12:13 AM)

Let me rephrase: if you like outdoorsy sorts of things, Salt Lake City is a great place to live. There are tons of options all within driving distance, and it's really a beautiful area. Even I'm not the biggest outdoorsman, but I lived there for a summer a couple years ago and really, really loved it.

As for the team, the city basically lives and breathes Jazz. They have no other professional sport (unless you're counting the Utah Flash in Orem or the Salt Lake Bees, who don't play during the same season), and the fans are incredibly devout. EnergySolutions Arena is a great environment, and any player would love playing in front of those fans night in and out.

QUOTE (Felix @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 12:20 AM)
Let me rephrase: if you like outdoorsy sorts of things, Salt Lake City is a great place to live. There are tons of options all within driving distance, and it's really a beautiful area. Even I'm not the biggest outdoorsman, but I lived there for a summer a couple years ago and really, really loved it.

As for the team, the city basically lives and breathes Jazz. They have no other professional sport (unless you're counting the Utah Flash in Orem or the Salt Lake Bees, who don't play during the same season), and the fans are incredibly devout. EnergySolutions Arena is a great environment, and any player would love playing in front of those fans night in and out.

Well I was only there for a couple weeks. And I would not recommend Utah as a vacation spot to anybody I didn't hate. I agree with you about their love for the Jazz, as that's all they really have.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)
Yes. But at the same time, everyone knows Memphis must trade him. They're benching him and killing his value. Even when he's the only option available, they let him get hot, then bench him immediately almost to make sure nobody sees how good he is or can be. It's weird. It's happened about 3 times this year alone.

And to be fair, I'd still take Mayo over Rose back then only because I believe Mayo's game will translate better as they get older. Rose on the other hand is already having health problems. It's not good when you have tendinitis in your knees and have lost 3 inches off your vertical within 3 years.

i couldn't help but laugh at this comment.

mayo brings scoring and solid defense to the table, nothing else. and he is not the type of physical 2 guard like eric gordon who gets to the line at will. Mayo at his best would only be a 22 PPG scorer.

and yes, i do notice rose lost some hops this season, most likely due to turf toe. even so, he is still faster than almost anyone in the league, and the so call health problems has not caused him to miss any games.

I just don't see how mayo will have a better career than rose given the level they are at right now.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

for those of u whos wondering if mayo is a 1 or a 2, read hollinger's scouting on him.

+ Excellent shooter with easy, high-arcing release; comfortable off dribble or catch.

+ Good ball handler but has limited burst and rarely gets into paint.

+ B athlete and average defender who competes but needs more experience.

The league's only player who is both a drink and a condiment, Mayo didn't shoot as well from outside as he did in his rookie season but made up for it by scoring much more effectively at the rim. He still doesn't get there often, but last season he made 60.2 percent of his shots in the basket area.

Mayo has been talked about as a potential point guard, but I don't get it. He has trouble penetrating past shooting guards and would be hopeless trying to get to the rim on quicker 1s, plus he's nothing special as a passer. His biggest differentiating skill is his shooting ability. In fact, even with his perimeter numbers down last season, his TS% was the only stat where he ranked among the top 20 shooting guards.