2010-2011 NBA Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 06:20 PM)

EPIC.

Both shots were pretty crazy from Mayo and Evans.

The game in general was nuts. Zach Randolph went off. And if Tyreke doesn't hit that shot, people would be talking about how Memphis is crazy to bury Mayo. That shot was spectacular. One legged fadeway jumper.

Perhaps Rose will be poring over game film of opposing point guards because his improved defense became a dominant post-practice topic.

"He's much better on the ball and getting back in front of the ball and he's up on every shot," coach Tom Thibodeau said. "His weak side awareness is better. His overall defense is vastly improved. He's using speed and strength to get over screens.

"It's not only individual defense, but it's team, tying everybody together. He gives help better. He really has worked hard at it and taking a lot of pride in it."

Of course, Rose joked that it's still not enough.

"It's always, 'Try harder,' " Rose said. "It could be where … I contest the shot and he hits it. I'll look at (Thibodeau) and he'll look at me. I'm like, 'I contested it.' He'll say, 'Try harder.' I'm like, 'Man, you come out here and try.'"

Rose matches up against speedy Devin Harris on Friday.

Night and day: Whether he meant it as a knock on former coach Vinny Del Negro or not, Rose said this season features better in-game adjustments.

"We used to go into games where we were like, 'Man, how are you going to win this game?' " Rose said. "But now, we go into games, we know what to do. If we're messing up we can change it right when we're playing.

"We don't have to look at film tomorrow and figure out this is why we're losing. … That has been the difference between this year and last year."

Link

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 31, 2010 -> 02:41 PM)

It was the Bulls fault for hiring a coach with ZERO coaching experience at any level. VDN did about as good as any coach would have done with the Bulls roster and injuries the past two years. There is no doubt Thibs is lights years better than Vinny in offensive and defensive strategy, but he has also been coaching about 30 years -- 30 years longer than VDN. I am one of the few Bulls fans that appreciate what VDN did; he let Derrick play immediately and that clearly has paid off. He helped improve Noah to where he now is an All-Star-caliber player -- something nobody would have thought three years ago.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 31, 2010 -> 05:25 PM)
It was the Bulls fault for hiring a coach with ZERO coaching experience at any level. VDN did about as good as any coach would have done with the Bulls roster and injuries the past two years. There is no doubt Thibs is lights years better than Vinny in offensive and defensive strategy, but he has also been coaching about 30 years -- 30 years longer than VDN. I am one of the few Bulls fans that appreciate what VDN did; he let Derrick play immediately and that clearly has paid off. He helped improve Noah to where he now is an All-Star-caliber player -- something nobody would have thought three years ago.

I agree 100%. I was critical of VDN, but I also understand that he did a lot more for this team than people realize. In retrospect, it was ridiculously stupid and extremely risky to bring in such an inexperienced coach to develop the future of your team in Rose and Noah, but he did do a good job in that. Strategically, he was a horrible coach, but that was to be expected with no experience.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 31, 2010 -> 06:29 PM)
Noah needs to be in the booth until he gets back from injury.

He was hilarious.

It was like having Frank Thomas broadcasting White Sox games. Too much homerism, although I can't blame him for cheering his teammates on. He's still playing for the team.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 31, 2010 -> 07:49 PM)
It was like having Frank Thomas broadcasting White Sox games. Too much homerism, although I can't blame him for cheering his teammates on. He's still playing for the team.

I can handle homers. Stacey King is a massive homer, yet is still grown into a solid announcer. Joakim literally brought nothing to the broadcast unless he was answering a question.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 31, 2010 -> 09:44 PM)
I can handle homers. Stacey King is a massive homer, yet is still grown into a solid announcer. Joakim literally brought nothing to the broadcast unless he was answering a question.

Bah, at least answering the questions he was quite interesting. If you paid attention, there were some VDN shots stuck in there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 07:27 PM)
I think the Bulls are hungover...

I think they're bored to be honest. They've played so many s***ty teams lately that I just don't think they're up for some of these games right now.

Apparently, the Cavs wanted to give the fans some Big Macs since they fouled Deng for no reason. lol

Bulls played a s***ty fourth again, that's been the case ever since Joakim's been out.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 31, 2010 -> 08:49 PM)

Hawk Harrelson, anyone?

“I knew they were big free throws. I know how much the fans love Big Macs. I just thought I’d play some games and miss the first—no, I’m kidding,” said Deng. “I’m really glad I made it. The fans have been great all year.”

If only you did Luol, if only you did.