2010-2011 NBA Thread

Bulls are in on Sacto SF Omri Casspi.

Among the teams that have registered interest in the NBA’s first-ever Israeli: Chicago and New York.

The Bulls, in particular, like Casspi not only for his ability to shoot but also his experience in pressure situations after playing at the highest levels of the Euroleague with Maccabi Tel-Aviv as well as his defensive potential, believing that the energetic swingman would develop nicely on D under the guidance of Bulls head coach Tom Thibodeau. The bonus: Casspi is shooting 40 percent from 3-point range this season – up from 36.9 percent as a rookie – to further squelch his pre-draft rep as a non-shooter.

Yet there are obstacles for interested parties. Casspi is also a favorite of Kings co-owners Joe and Gavin Maloof. Sources say Sacramento, furthermore, would likely insist on attaching a long-term contract from the Kings' roster (such as Francisco Garcia's) for the right to acquire Casspi, who’s earning a bargain $1.25 million this season. That could dissuade both the Bulls and the Knicks, with New York especially mindful of preserving salary-cap space for the summer.

It’s likewise true, from the Bulls’ perspective, that Casspi would give them another shooter but can’t really be classified as a shooting guard, which is the position Chicago has been openly looking to upgrade with Ronnie Brewer and Keith Bogans as its current primary options.

The Chicago Tribune reported earlier this week that the Bulls have also expressed interested in Rockets guard Courtney Lee, who earns a similar salary ($1.35 million) to Casspi's. The shooting guards previously linked with Chicago – Denver’s J.R. Smith ($6.8 million), Charlotte’s Stephen Jackson (in the first season of a three-year, $28 million extension) and Memphis’ O.J. Mayo ($4.5 million) – have all been all pricier.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 08:50 AM)
I bet all 6 of their fans are really excited.

For the season the Heat are at 100.7% of capacity (good for 5th in the NBA). Let's put that thought to rest.

FWIW, Bulls are #1 at 102.6% of capacity, averaging almost 1,000 more fans than the #2 team. I really think not enough is made of how amazing a basketball city Chicago is...

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 09:01 AM)
For the season the Heat are at 100.7% of capacity (good for 5th in the NBA). Let's put that thought to rest.

FWIW, Bulls are #1 at 102.6% of capacity, averaging almost 1,000 more fans than the #2 team. I really think not enough is made of how amazing a basketball city Chicago is...

Is that tickets sold or actual attendance? I still see empty seats in Miami and assume people bought tickets to scalp.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 09:17 AM)
Is that tickets sold or actual attendance? I still see empty seats in Miami and assume people bought tickets to scalp.

Its tickets sold. It is also a "capacity" number that isn't really capacity, or they wouldn't be over 100% of capacity.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 10:01 AM)

I couldn't disagree more. The Bulls have always been able to fill the UC, but the fans suck HARD. They cheer more for 100 points than anything else. There are seriously times where the stadium is silent. There isn't much of an atmosphere at Bulls games.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 02:17 PM)
I couldn't disagree more. The Bulls have always been able to fill the UC, but the fans suck HARD. They cheer more for 100 points than anything else. There are seriously times where the stadium is silent. There isn't much of an atmosphere at Bulls games.

The 100 points cheer is one of the most pathetic things in sports. You paid $100 for your seat, and you are going crazy for a free big mac? Really? Cheer for a game, not a free heart attack.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 02:51 PM)
Im not a big noise making person at games, sure ill clap and highfive and whatnot but am I all of a sudden a bad fan because the guy next to me makes a lot more noise?

I don't care about your relative cheer level. I care if you are going crazy for a big mac, after sitting on your hands during a massively important posession.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 03:17 PM)

I'm a bit young to say this from exact memories but I recall Chicago Stadium being ridiculous.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 02:30 PM)
The 100 points cheer is one of the most pathetic things in sports. You paid $100 for your seat, and you are going crazy for a free big mac? Really? Cheer for a game, not a free heart attack.

It's called sponsorships, and really, who cares if people are cheering really loud for a free Big Mac? That means the Bulls have won and scored triple digits, not a big deal. I worked at McDonald's when I was a teenager for 3 years and only one person I can remember (because I actually knew the family) came in and used the ticket stub for one so I don't think it is people that are really overly excited about a free sandwich more so than most of the stadium giving a sarcastic applause

And I think many people are going the Stubhub way now (at least I do) and spending $5-$20 on a ticket, so maybe some people really ARE excited about the Bigmac LOL

Edited by Chi Town Sox

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 03:01 PM)
It's called sponsorships, and really, who cares if people are cheering really loud for a free Big Mac? That means the Bulls have won and scored triple digits, not a big deal. I worked at McDonald's when I was a teenager for 3 years and only one person I can remember (because I actually knew the family) came in and used the ticket stub for one so I don't think it is people that are really overly excited about a free sandwich more so than most of the stadium giving a sarcastic applause

And I think many people are going the Stubhub way now (at least I do) and spending $5-$20 on a ticket, so maybe some people really ARE excited about the Bigmac LOL

If you are cheering louder for a big mac, than for anything else at a Bulls game, you need to stay home. I know it is just my opinion, but I hate it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 03:54 PM)
I'm a bit young to say this from exact memories but I recall Chicago Stadium being ridiculous.

I'm not talking about Chicago Stadium. But since Jordan has been gone, the fans at the UC have been bad.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 04:01 PM)

I've seen them cheer for 100 points even in losing efforts. Scoring 100 doesn't guarantee a win in the NBA. I blame the crowds at Bulls games on Cubs fans really. More of a thing to do/social event rather than a sporting event.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 03:18 PM)
If you are cheering louder for a big mac, than for anything else at a Bulls game, you need to stay home. I know it is just my opinion, but I hate it.

That's not just at a Bulls game, its at all sporting events. That's why you see the "Loud-O-Meter" or whatever you call it, or if you everyone is cheering for Biggy Bagel or Cuppy Coffee at a Sox game. It happens at every sporting event in the country, not just the UC for a Bulls game, but I do agree that there is a lot of corporate BS at Bulls game and not nearly as many true fans and this has a lot to do with the costs of going.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 03:19 PM)
I'm not talking about Chicago Stadium. But since Jordan has been gone, the fans at the UC have been bad.

I've seen them cheer for 100 points even in losing efforts. Scoring 100 doesn't guarantee a win in the NBA. I blame the crowds at Bulls games on Cubs fans really. More of a thing to do/social event rather than a sporting event.

I go to a fair amount of Bulls game each year and I can't say I have witnessed (whether at the game or on TV) cheering at the UC for the Bulls because they scored 100 points while losing and the game is in the bag, isn't most of the crowd gone when it's pretty much a loss? Maybe some young kids and their parents getting excited for 100 points LOL

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 03:24 PM)
That's not just at a Bulls game, its at all sporting events. That's why you see the "Loud-O-Meter" or whatever you call it, or if you everyone is cheering for Biggy Bagel or Cuppy Coffee at a Sox game. It happens at every sporting event in the country, not just the UC for a Bulls game, but I do agree that there is a lot of corporate BS at Bulls game and not nearly as many true fans and this has a lot to do with the costs of going.

Not me. I'm following the game... not dot races, big macs, kiss cams, or any of that crap. Again, if that is more of your energy than a key AB, go home.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 03:01 PM)

Really? I can't even count how many free McMuffins I have eaten in the past 3 years from Blackhawks games. Maybe thats why they look at me funny.