2010-2011 NBA Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 10:23 PM)
Early contender for Soxtalk's overreaction for 2011.

Deng can blow hard at times, but rather seeing Scals out there? C'mon son.

that was exaggeration, obviously. but seriously, deng really needs to step up his game in close games. if u pay attention closely, when the game is on the line Deng fails. According to 82games, his clutch stats are 14 ppg per 48 minutes and shoots 38%, Rose and Boozer? 39 and 48 ppg/48 minutes. pretty big drop off between your first second and third option huh. but more importantly, it you are really letting your team down if you clank both free throws in that situation. for the record, i believe deng now has the worst free throw shooting of all qualifed small forwards. he needs to do better than that

and Rose did draw some contact on that last shot, but it was marginal. It's the NBA, refs will not let their whistles decide the outcome of the game unless it was an obvious foul, it's always been like that. I actually thought it was a good no call. Blame his teammates for not setting a good screen for him.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 09:05 PM)
LoL

unlike you, i do not blame the refs. i blame the players, bad calls happen in every game to every team, players make plays that lead to refs making calls. blame the bulls' loss to the knicks on the refs? blame the refs when your team obviously got outplayed in the game? LMAO

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 02:22 AM)
unlike you, i do not blame the refs. i blame the players, bad calls happen in every game to every team, players make plays that lead to refs making calls. blame the bulls' loss to the knicks on the refs? blame the refs when your team obviously got outplayed in the game? LMAO

When did I blame the refs? I don't think Rose got fouled at the end of the game.

It's just funny that Rose is having an awesome year and you wait for a little 3 game stretch where he isn't doing everything for once to come up to complain.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 25, 2010 -> 01:19 PM)
One of the more poorly officiated games of the year

right after the knicks loss. i do not recall any really bad calls in that game. knicks beat them fair and square.

we have different perspectives. that's all.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 05:35 AM)
right after the knicks loss. i do not recall any really bad calls in that game. knicks beat them fair and square.

You serious???

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 02:27 AM)
no big deal, but u'd be frustrated by rose the last three games if he was on your fantasy team.

I have Rose on my team in a super-competitive league. I could give a f***. It's been so long since the Bulls were THIS good, f*** fantasy.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 04:53 PM)
It's not like guys like Spud Webb and Nate Robinson dunk(ed) all day long, but they've supplied some pretty memorable moments.

All I am wondering is if anyone has been voted to the dunk contest with a lower number than 2 dunks, I understand that these guys are voted in based on creativity but we see Nate Robinson dunk on fast breaks more than 2 times, we have seen Spud Webb drive baseline and dunk on Manute Bol and on breakaways more than 2 times. Brandon Jennings has 2 dunks this year. Thought it was just kind of a weird stat that someone may have an answer for, I couldn't find anything online

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 08:32 PM)
Money isn't really the issue, Deng works and so does a pile of non-essential players (Brewer or Watson would help a lot). The problem will come from a talent perspective as I'm not sure Houston is that anxious to move a solid player signed to a reasonable deal for 3 years for what the Bulls have to offer.

They did bring in Terrence Williams for a reason, maybe he could be a reason they ship K-Mart out!

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 10:10 PM)
Yep, watching Deng miss those FTs was damn frustrating. I didn't realize he's only shooting 69% from the stripe this year. That's awful...

That is pretty bad, maybe he needs to come off a make-believe off the ball screen and shoot a jumper from the corner of the FT line as his free throws. It's amazing how solid he can be from 2 feet farther back while the game is in play, just a choker from the line, that's all

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 04:35 AM)

I was pissed that the charge on Boozer that was called when Amare was clearly inside the circle and it wasn't even close.

So, looking over the Centers in the league I'd have to say Noah is #2. If he weren't injured he'd be the East's default backup center.

The center position is just so bad.

Top: Dwight Howard

Tier 2: Joakim Noah, Al Horford

Tier 3: Nene, Al Jefferson, Marc Gasol, Tyson Chandler, Andrew Bogut

Tier 4: Everyone else.

Thibs sending message talk.

Tom Thibodeau tried to explain the benching as a result of the Nets’ zone defense and the success of the lineup against it that used Luol Deng as a big, but that rings hollow to anyone who watched the game.

Boozer got torched in half-court sets by weakside baseline cuts and duck-ins by both Kris Humphries and rookie Derrick Favors. He was slow to show hard in screen-roll, and slow to recover to his man. He was outraced down the floor for a week’s worth of alley-oop finishes.

Thibodeau has unwavering expectations for effort on defense, and this is going to be an issue.

“If Boozer is going to get to be a better player in this league, he’s got to step up to those challenges, and accept them, to be able to hold his own. That’s how he’s got to grow. I think he’s better than he was maybe a month-and-a-half ago in those situations, but he’s got to accept those challenges and say ‘Hey, you’re not going to score on me,’ because he’s got the body and quickness. He shows quickness with his offense – and it has to be there defensively.”

That was Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan, in the Salt Lake City Deseret News. From an article on January 10, 2005.

“Boozer’s got to work more on his defense. He can’t step out on the floor and expect to get 19, 20 points a game, and his man’s getting 22 or 23. I told him he’s got to do a better job defensively. And he can do a better job. That’s the great thing about it. He can do a better job. But he’s got to make a commitment to defending. Otherwise, I don’t think we can win with that.”

That was Sloan in the same newspaper, on October 15, 2006.

Boozer is 29, now, and is probably exactly the player he is going to be. Whether or not the occasional benching reminds him to try harder at this stage of his career is unknown, as is the degree to which his current coach will tolerate the weak aspect of his game to reap the benefits of his scoring and rebounding.

Thibodeau has arrived at his first major challenge as an NBA head coach, and is handling it curiously at the outset by choosing not to be fully honest about why he sat Boozer down. Why hide behind the smaller-lineup reasoning when the opportunity is there to be clear about your standards for defense?

Try your best to stay with your man and adhere to our defensive principles or you don’t play, regardless of how much we paid for you. That’s the message to a developing team with title aspirations. Thibodeau may not feel comfortable escalating the conflict with words echoing those of the flinty, plain-spoken Sloan, but you can bet he’s thinking it.

Joakim Noah’ s eventual return will help. So perhaps that’s part of the calculation, since another defender at the rim can backstop softness elsewhere on the floor. Boozer’s lapses may be both less obvious and less detrimental then, and we have not seen the two of them as the starting 5-4 combo enough to be fully aware of how it’s going to work.

A disgruntled, expensive veteran, a rookie head coach, and an MVP-candidate point guard on a first-place team.

The Bulls’ season just started.

Here's version 2.0.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)
So, looking over the Centers in the league I'd have to say Noah is #2. If he weren't injured he'd be the East's default backup center.

The center position is just so bad.

Top: Dwight Howard

Tier 2: Joakim Noah, Al Horford

Tier 3: Nene, Al Jefferson, Marc Gasol, Tyson Chandler, Andrew Bogut

Tier 4: Everyone else.

I'd put Bogut up as a tier 2 center, defensively one on one he was the best center in the league last season.

And he's playing with that wrist injury which he's still recuperating from. Think he'll only get better as the season goes on.

Not a stretch to think DeMarcus Cousins will be tier 2 by the middle of next season if he actually mature a bit as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 02:21 PM)

That was always one of the queries regarding Boozer and whether he was worth a max contract or not (that and his injury history and his poor playoff performances against the Lakers).

Don't think there's any doubt he's better defensively with Noah alongside him.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 09:26 AM)
That was always one of the queries regarding Boozer and whether he was worth a max contract or not (that and his injury history and his poor playoff performances against the Lakers).

Don't think there's any doubt he's better defensively with Noah alongside him.

I know the defensive issues were there.

I think it's interesting to see Thibs cracking the whip on this one. I hated it when VDN would bench his rookies when they made mistakes but would never bench his veterans when they did. There's not a whole lot of benchable rookies on the Bulls right now...but I'm cautiously hoping this approach actually works.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 08:02 PM)
Can't use the trap game excuse either coming off a loss. This would just be a really bad L to be honest.

I don't have the stats, but Philly hasn't been bad lately, especially at home. I gotta double check it. Either way, a game the Bulls should win.

Philly been average all year when I look at it. Would suck to lose to them/

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 09:04 PM)
I don't have the stats, but Philly hasn't been bad lately, especially at home. I gotta double check it. Either way, a game the Bulls should win.

Philly been average all year when I look at it. Would suck to lose to them/

They're decent at home but this is a game we shouldn't lose already coming off a L.