2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 13, 2011 -> 11:00 PM)
Kevin.

Love.

How outraged will you be if he's left off the all-star team? You know Durant and Dirk are locks. As is Carmelo. Then you've got Duncan, who will probably get in through reputation if anything [doesn't hurt that his team has the best record in the league]. Then you've got Blake griffin. That's 5 forwards right there. I also have a feeling one of Westbrook/Ellis will miss out. Which would be a tragedy. Of course, there's always guys missing the game just for the hell of it so who knows.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 08:19 AM)
How outraged will you be if he's left off the all-star team? You know Durant and Dirk are locks. As is Carmelo. Then you've got Duncan, who will probably get in through reputation if anything [doesn't hurt that his team has the best record in the league]. Then you've got Blake griffin. That's 5 forwards right there. I also have a feeling one of Westbrook/Ellis will miss out. Which would be a tragedy. Of course, there's always guys missing the game just for the hell of it so who knows.

Right now, Kevin Love is a better basketball player than Blake Griffin. And considering Love is less than a year older than him...

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 08:22 AM)
Right now, Kevin Love is a better basketball player than Blake Griffin. And considering Love is less than a year older than him...

I wouldn't argue that. I think both should be there. But Blake is putting on an aerial show not seen since the likes of a young Vince Carter. I bet even the coaches that vote would go with Blake just because of that. Either way I see a guy like Duncan, who these games obviously mean nothing to anymore, coming down with a mysterious injury that would keep him out of the game regardless. So both Blake and Love should both make it.

Edited by Jordan4life

What's really interesting is that Love ranks 6th in the NBA in PER, ahead of Kobe, Durant, Deron, Rose, Amare and Griffin. Obviously, I'm not saying Love is better than all of those players (although he is better than Griffin :P), but it really puts into perspective how ridiculous his season has been this year.

Really, if you want to see Love in the ASG, root for a 'Melo trade. That's the most likely scenario where both he and Griffin get in, I think.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 06:47 AM)
Can't remember what Affalo's contract situation is like, but I think he's cheap and Denver want to build around young cheap talented players when they deal Carmelo (Kroenke wants the hard salary cap brought in also FWIW).

More likely to deal J.R Smith, who blew up tonight offensively BTW I would have thought.

He's a RFA after this season.

I want the Melo deal to go through, because it seems with either Nets or Knicks they get another SG, meaning they'd need to dump one.

That's where the Bulls come a knockin'.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 12:35 AM)
For a while, the Heat looked like they could reel off 50 straight wins to tie or shatter the Bulls 72-10 record, now we can officially rule them out.... this season.

By the way. Arron Afflalo looked really nice tonight and did a great job defending Wade. Both him and JR Smith had great games tonight, but I think Afflalo will be a better fit for the Bulls because he can do more with less. Just check his stats and he is something like 50-40-85 in terms of shooting %. and he NEVER turns the ball over. He would be a terrific fit with Rose and Boozer.

If I were GarPax, Afflalo and Mayo are on top of my trade list for shooting guards.

Oh, I'm pretty confident that record will hold for at the very least, a LONG time...it is just to hard to go through a 82 game grind and lose just 10, that is really f***ing amazing.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 04:14 PM)
He's a RFA after this season.

I want the Melo deal to go through, because it seems with either Nets or Knicks they get another SG, meaning they'd need to dump one.

That's where the Bulls come a knockin'.

It seems everyone is waiting for the Melo deal to go down, and then the trade action for the other teams will heat up from there.

Really the only deal that I can recall that had gone down was Orlando's 2 trades.

Don't know if the Knicks would get a SG in a Melo deal, they'd try to swing Mayo to Denver, and maybe hang onto Fields and trade Gallinari and Chandler instead.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 04:07 PM)
I agree. I love em both, but I think this is debatable as to who is better.

Depends if Griffin develops any sort of a post game. If he does, I'd probably take him. Love still needs to improve defensively to get into that "superstar" category, IMO.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)
Eh, it's really f'n close.

I'd take the guy that averages the same number of points, THREE more rebounds a game and is a far better shooter. I'm not saying Griffin isn't good, but Love is simply better. Less Sportscenter highlights, but that doesn't make him a worse player.

And for what it's worth, Griffin is just as bad defensively as Love is. It obviously depends on how you value those things, but let's not pretend Griffin is this defensive stud while Love makes his team suddenly give up thousands of points per game.

EDIT: Of course, the site I just linked to thinks Corey Brewer and Wes Johnson are better than Kevin Love. So it's obviously full of s***.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 11:36 PM)
I'd take the guy that averages the same number of points, THREE more rebounds a game and is a far better shooter. I'm not saying Griffin isn't good, but Love is simply better. Less Sportscenter highlights, but that doesn't make him a worse player.

And for what it's worth, Griffin is just as bad defensively as Love is. It obviously depends on how you value those things, but let's not pretend Griffin is this defensive stud while Love makes his team suddenly give up thousands of points per game.

EDIT: Of course, the site I just linked to thinks Corey Brewer and Wes Johnson are better than Kevin Love. So it's obviously full of s***.

Griffin is also basically a rookie (since he technically missed all of his 1st season), and Love's in his 3rd season in the league.

Griffin also has a higher FG%, and i only expect this to get better going forward as he becomes a better shooter.

Argubly, both these players are already top 10 players in the NBA and guys you can build a team around.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 07:00 PM)
Griffin is also basically a rookie (since he technically missed all of his 1st season), and Love's in his 3rd season in the league.

Griffin also has a higher FG%, and i only expect this to get better going forward as he becomes a better shooter.

Argubly, both these players are already top 10 players in the NBA and guys you can build a team around.

Kevin Love is NOT a f***ing top 10 player in the NBA.

I care not what PER says on this subject... and points and rebounds are glamorous, but GTFO. Top 10 players don't play on 10-30 teams. They carry their teams to AT LEAST .500. He's a decent passer, and a fantastic rebounder with little competition for that statistic on his roster.

Kevin Love. Top 10. NBA. GTFO.

I won't even bother to comment on the audacity of calling Blake Griffin a top 10 player in the League right now.

Edited by Steve9347

I don't disagree with you that Love isn't a top 10 player, but I don't think you can blame him for his team's inability to finish down the stretch. Maybe if his usage rate was higher and the ball was in his hands more down the stretch, but the team hasn't won because they're thick in the head, not because Love hasn't done every-goddamn-thing possible to try and will them to win.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 10:16 PM)
I don't disagree with you that Love isn't a top 10 player, but I don't think you can blame him for his team's inability to finish down the stretch. Maybe if his usage rate was higher and the ball was in his hands more down the stretch, but the team hasn't won because they're thick in the head, not because Love hasn't done every-goddamn-thing possible to try and will them to win.

Isn't he one of those guys though that if you tried to push his usage rate up, it probably wouldn't exactly wind up creating more wins?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 10:01 PM)
Isn't he one of those guys though that if you tried to push his usage rate up, it probably wouldn't exactly wind up creating more wins?

Decent point, but the Wolves almost never run plays for Love. All of his points either come from other teams forgetting about him as he hangs around the three point line or his work on the offensive glass. He's not the type of player that can create his own shot, which is why he doesn't get the ball as much as he probably should down the stretch (which is probably the core of your point). He takes what the defense gives him, and fortunately for him, he's versatile enough offensively to make it work.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 07:00 PM)

Not to mention Griffin is a superior passer. (one of the best for a big man already as a rookie) Love is better now, Griffin will probably be in the future, hell probably next season. Just a freak talent.

Don't know about him being an all-star this season though, even if he is playing like one. Hell LeBron James didn't get in his rookie year.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 11:37 PM)
Not to mention Griffin is a superior passer. (one of the best for a big man already as a rookie) Love is better now, Griffin will probably be in the future, hell probably next season. Just a freak talent.

Don't know about him being an all-star this season though, even if he is playing like one. Hell LeBron James didn't get in his rookie year.

He's having a considerably better season than James did his rookie year. It's not even that close. Blake with his 25th consecutive double/double tonight. My other man-crush, Monta Ellis, just recorded his 20th game this season of 25 or more points with more than two weeks left to go in January. Not bad for a 10th pick in the second round. I know the dream was to get two of James/Wade/Bosh last summer. But from a purely hypothetical fantasy world that I've temporarily created, we'd be a much better team with Griffin/Ellis to pair with Rose. Yes, my fantasy is now over.

Edited by Jordan4life