2010-2011 NBA Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 09:41 PM)
Hollinger's rankings would disagree.

Actually, I agree with the Hollinger's rankings. Orlando is slightly better than Chicago without one of Boozer or Noah playing. That's basically what the Hollinger rankings tell ya.

Although, I would say using Hollinger rankings in these two cases are absolutely ridiculous considering Orlando is a new team after the trades and Chicago has been playing without an all-star big man all season.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 09:41 PM)
Hollinger's rankings would disagree.

I don't need Hollinger's rankings I'll look at their records, see the Bulls have a better one and then also remember that the Bulls haven't been healthy all season and assume that they would be even better healthy and they'd still have a better record then Orlando.

The Bulls are a hard team to gauge other than I think we know they're pretty good. Beyond that? We'll find out in the playoffs. The NBA is all about the playoffs anyways. Unlike other leagues, teams that just barely squeeze into the NBA playoffs really have very little shot at doing anything (outside of unique exceptions like the 1999 Knicks), so the postseason is what it's about anyways.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 10:26 PM)
Although, I would say using Hollinger rankings in these two cases are absolutely ridiculous considering Orlando is a new team after the trades and Chicago has been playing without an all-star big man all season.

Definitely a fair point, although Hollinger's rankings also point out how easy the Bulls schedule has been over the last 25 games (and over the season as a whole, for that matter). The Bulls have been playing great lately while shorthanded, but again, look at who they've played. They should be beating these teams, regardless of whether or not they have Noah.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 11:46 PM)
Definitely a fair point, although Hollinger's rankings also point out how easy the Bulls schedule has been over the last 25 games (and over the season as a whole, for that matter). The Bulls have been playing great lately while shorthanded, but again, look at who they've played. They should be beating these teams, regardless of whether or not they have Noah.

Umm, the Bulls had one of the toughest schedules in the league through about the 1st or 2nd week of December.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 10:55 PM)
Umm, the Bulls had one of the toughest schedules in the league through about the 1st or 2nd week of December.

7-9 against teams above .500 according to ESPN and 21-4 against those below. Just based off of that alone, they're in the top half of the league in fewest games above .500+ teams.

Hollinger's rankings has their SOS at .483, which is tied for 6th lowest in the league. That includes the .416 SOS of the last 25% of their games.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 06:13 PM)
You know who else has 27 consecutive going into tonight's game? And a league high 36 this year? :ph34r:

28 now, despite a fairly poor performance tonight :P

Also, Jonny Flynn is simply not good at basketball.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 10:58 PM)
7-9 against teams above .500 according to ESPN and 21-4 against those below. Just based off of that alone, they're in the top half of the league in fewest games above .500+ teams.

Hollinger's rankings has their SOS at .483, which is tied for 6th lowest in the league. That includes the .416 SOS of the last 25% of their games.

They did have a .580 something SOS earlier in the year.

At one point, the Bulls were 3rd in the Hollinger rankings I think.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 11:11 PM)
They did have a .580 something SOS earlier in the year.

I don't doubt it, but I'm just saying, as a whole, their schedule has been fairly easy so far. And the numbers back me up on that.

Really, I don't even care and it doesn't really matter. All the schedule talk is an interesting tangent more than anything. As an impartial bystander, I do think Orlando is a better team that'll make more noise in the postseason than Chicago, especially after their trades. Chicago is a good team, and it's certainly possible that when they get fully healthy they'll reach a new level previously unseen, but I don't think they can be considered the elite in the Eastern Conference until their shooting guard situation gets fixed.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 11:38 PM)
I just feel like Orlando threw a lot of s*** against the wall and it stuck for 11 games. Now they've lost 3 of the last 4. Tough/close games, but that 11 game win streak was a bit of a mirage in my eyes.

Tough/close games against very good teams on the road. Sometimes good teams lose. If we're going to start taking away from teams achievements for losing to good teams on the road, I suppose we shouldn't bother to mention the Bulls loss in Charlotte last week, or their back-to-back losses on the road earlier this month to New Jersey and Philadelphia :P

Anyway, the Wolves game is mercifully over with yet another loss. I wish my team could beat up on crappy competition the way the Bulls have :P

It really says something about his season that Love's 22 point, 17 rebound, 4 assist performance is considered is letdown.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 11:19 PM)
I don't doubt it, but I'm just saying, as a whole, their schedule has been fairly easy so far. And the numbers back me up on that.

Really, I don't even care and it doesn't really matter. All the schedule talk is an interesting tangent more than anything. As an impartial bystander, I do think Orlando is a better team that'll make more noise in the postseason than Chicago, especially after their trades. Chicago is a good team, and it's certainly possible that when they get fully healthy they'll reach a new level previously unseen, but I don't think they can be considered the elite in the Eastern Conference until their shooting guard situation gets fixed.

Felix, have you always been a TWolves fan? Or just since you started working for them?

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 12:19 AM)

Their schedule was the toughest in the league for the first month, and probably the easiest in the league for the 2nd month. Considering they got through the first month with no Boozer, had a winning record on the circus trip, and were in first place, I was content. It'll get tougher than what it's been for the last few weeks...but this team ought to get better if they can ever get their frontcourt together at once.

In the long term though...the Bulls will probably finish with the weakest strength of schedule of any division winner this year...because the rest of their division stinks. Indiana, Milwaukee, Detroit, and Cleveland form the rest of their division and the Bulls will play more games against them than teams out of their division. The Bulls are the only division-leading team in the league without another winning team in their division. So by the end of the season, they should have a fairly weak strength of schedule, which makes that opening month that much more impressive to me.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 09:02 PM)
Completely disagree. I still think some of our own fans severely underestimate this team.

I'm usually not one to underestimate our teams. If I do anything it is overestimate usually. The Bulls backcourt just scares the s*** out of me. Outside of Rose, that is an NCAA caliber guard group.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 09:31 PM)
Orlando is not better than the Bulls. That is hogwash.

Until the Bulls look any better against the Magic, it doesn't really matter. They routinely destroy us. IF we are ever at 100% it will be interesting.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 12:19 AM)

The numbers suggest they had a tough 1st 1/4 and easy 2nd 1/4. Thats it. Either way, they went 5-0 in the games in which they were fully healthy.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 01:00 PM)
The numbers suggest they had a tough 1st 1/4 and easy 2nd 1/4. Thats it. Either way, they went 5-0 in the games in which they were fully healthy.

And even those "Fully healthy" games were only fully healthy in the sense that Noah was there. He hurt his hand in either Boozer's first or second game back, and it was clearly affecting his performance even when he was in there.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 06:25 PM)
Comments like this irk me. The Bulls ARE amongst the top 3 in the East. I think you generally overrate the Magic, but you're a fan so it makes sense. I'm not really scared of them at all, especially if/when the Bulls get healthy. The only thing you have on the Bulls is that the Magic whoop their ass once a season by 40+.

I don't think that's true...