Trade Candidates for Kenny this offseason

macsandz

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (typewritermender @ Oct 14, 2010 -> 02:56 PM)
What do you guys think about Kelly Johnson? Young, lots of walks, good OBP, solid power numbers, bats lefty. Played some outfield his rookie season. Think he could convert to a RF? Think he could be had?

I'm not really a fan of us going after a 2b. Beckham needs to be there for the long haul as his bat plays like an All Star there... moving Gordan back to 3b makes his bat play simply ok for his position.

I'm still open to going after Luke Scott for a lefty run producer. He can play 1b/Of/DH. See if we can get Figgins for 3b (Dayan straight up?). Bat Figgins and Pierre #1-2. I know people dont like this idea but we've had bad #2 batters since Iguchi left and Figgins plays really good defense. Then we can use Morel as bait for some pitching help

QUOTE (Fantl916 @ Oct 14, 2010 -> 06:24 PM)
I'm not really a fan of us going after a 2b. Beckham needs to be there for the long haul as his bat plays like an All Star there... moving Gordan back to 3b makes his bat play simply ok for his position.

I'm still open to going after Luke Scott for a lefty run producer. He can play 1b/Of/DH. See if we can get Figgins for 3b (Dayan straight up?). Bat Figgins and Pierre #1-2. I know people dont like this idea but we've had bad #2 batters since Iguchi left and Figgins plays really good defense. Then we can use Morel as bait for some pitching help

I agree completely. If Beckham fails then it's official: we're cursed as far as homegrown talent goes. He was supposed to be the closest to a sure thing we've had since Hurt. And I still believe in him. He's as critical to the long-term success of this franchise as anybody.

Well in that case, he's going to cost too much. A 2B who puts up an .865 OPS is far more valuable than a LF or RF who does the same. The Sox would be trading for him at 2B value, and that just doesn't make a whole lot of sense, especially due to his erratic career statistics. Beyond that, Kelly Johnson is one of the streakiest hitters in the entire majors...you'll get a great April, and then mediocrity after that. Last year was his most consistent and best to date - he had 3 months of .900+ OPS, and 3 months of sub .800 OPS.

QUOTE (typewritermender @ Oct 14, 2010 -> 04:59 PM)
No I'm talking about moving Kelly to the outfield.

i still dont like it. his bat is his best tool and those stats are simply ok for a RF. as a 2b hes really good, but you can get similar numbers from many out there. Plus having never played OF hes likely to be a liability in RF. no good IMO.

Figure we probably have Pierre in LF, Rios in CF, and Quentin DH. There are plenty of quality guys our there who can produce better overall than Johnson can, especially considering what he'd cost.

For example, Brad Hawpe, Luke Scott, Crawford if we spend the money, maybe even put Quentin in RF and sign Carlos Pena. We have options cheaper/better than Johnson playing out of position

QUOTE (Fantl916 @ Oct 14, 2010 -> 07:08 PM)
i still dont like it. his bat is his best tool and those stats are simply ok for a RF. as a 2b hes really good, but you can get similar numbers from many out there. Plus having never played OF hes likely to be a liability in RF. no good IMO.

Figure we probably have Pierre in LF, Rios in CF, and Quentin DH. There are plenty of quality guys our there who can produce better overall than Johnson can, especially considering what he'd cost.

For example, Brad Hawpe, Luke Scott, Crawford if we spend the money, maybe even put Quentin in RF and sign Carlos Pena. We have options cheaper/better than Johnson playing out of position

Right, okay, like I said, he played OF his rookie year. He came up in Atlanta as an OF and had to be taught 2B after an injury (which I'm sure has long since healed). Anyway, I'm not married to the idea of acquiring Kelly Johnson, but...I personally think he'd be a great lefty #5 or #6 hitter.

QUOTE (Fantl916 @ Oct 14, 2010 -> 07:08 PM)

Hawpe would be disappointing to say the least. Considering they didn't have interest in him after he was DFA'd and considering the disappointment he was all of last year, it'd be really unfortunate if he ended up starting in RF on opening day.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 14, 2010 -> 08:16 PM)
Hawpe would be disappointing to say the least. Considering they didn't have interest in him after he was DFA'd and considering the disappointment he was all of last year, it'd be really unfortunate if he ended up starting in RF on opening day.

Well, he still put up an .821 OPS against LHP last year. Weird thing is, he hits lefty. So like Quentin, he hits the guy the from the same side better than the other side.

Ozzie, of course, would hit him against RHP and Quentin against LHP.

I still think Ankiel would be good n cheap if he could stay healthy. Also DeJesus is finally available if we wanna go that route.

This might sound dumb, but I'd like to acquire a Twin or 2 for karma's sake.

We need some former Twins on the team.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 17, 2010 -> 03:19 AM)
I still think Ankiel would be good n cheap if he could stay healthy. Also DeJesus is finally available if we wanna go that route.

This might sound dumb, but I'd like to acquire a Twin or 2 for karma's sake.

We need some former Twins on the team.

That is the thing though, Ankiel never stays healthy. The Sox can't afford throwing money at a player that spends as much time on the DL as Ankiel does.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Oct 16, 2010 -> 10:22 PM)
I think KW is watching this K-ROD situation with the Mets closely, if K-ROD strikes a deal with Mets to buy out his contract and he is healthy, that is a classic situation for KW to pounce.

Buy out his contact? He's due over 12 million next year. Not happening.

i think the Mets and K-Rod are working on a settlement. That would basically make him a free agent, correct?

edit: nm, earlier in the season when he had the fight and got injured, there was rumors the mets were trying to void the contract. I see that they are just trying to get out of paying him this year because of his injury occuring in a non-baseball situation

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 18, 2010 -> 12:10 AM)
Won't help when they play the Yankees.

True, but we seem to be OK against the Bosox and Yankees, except for that road trip two seasons ago in September. We get up for them.

We need some former Twins to at least wake up our dugout or shake our dugout out of fear when we play Minnesota. Can't you already picture all those doubles and gappers the Twins will rake against us again next year already?