Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Art Vandelay @ May 5, 2011 -> 10:56 AM)
I have my master's in I/O but I picked an online school and that's not going too well for me. Hope Roosevelt works out for you. I have a friend who got her I/O master's from Roosevelt and she is working as a psych researcher, working with stats/SPSS quite a bit.

My wife has a PhD in I/O. Works for a large insurance company in their organizational development area.

For that field, bear in mind that both SIOP and the local Chicago equivalent group for I/O both have job boards, specific to your area. I'd take a look at that if I were you.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 9, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)
My wife has a PhD in I/O. Works for a large insurance company in their organizational development area.

For that field, bear in mind that both SIOP and the local Chicago equivalent group for I/O both have job boards, specific to your area. I'd take a look at that if I were you.

Yeah SIOP was just in Chicago this year. Lots of interesting stuff and tons of chances to meet people in the field. Also, CIOP has networking events about twice a year and meetings/speakers about 4 or 5 more times. A lot is about networking right now, especially in an economy that continues to be stale. That is what something online schools lack, but there are opportunities such as those mentioned above.

Jesus this week has been already ridiculous.

Started a job working as a cook again because I couldn't find any jobs whatsoever. On my first day of work, I get an e-mail from a company looking for an administrative assistant and that the job starts immediately. It's a better job than cooking, but it's temporary, so I'm going to try to keep my job at this kitchen, if only on the weekends, but I'm not counting on it.

Then I had a call for the PASS Program for Edward Jones, which is the job that I want the most at this point in time. So if anyone has any recommendations or advice regarding the information that should be put on both the application and during any potential interview for that job, that would be great. I understand that I may not have the requisite sales experience they are looking for, but I'm hoping that because I've talked to them on several different occasions as well as having a degree in economics that they'll accept me into that.

Interviewed with the St. Louis Rams today for a summer marketing internship. I'm not sure if I got it but they sure sounded like they needed interns for the summer. Even if I don't get it that was good interviewing experience and at least I could say I got that far with a professional football team.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 9, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)

Allstate, I'm guessing.

I look from time to time at the SIOP board (also at CIOP). It's just tough right now because there really aren't a lot of entry level opportunities in the field. I keep trying though. I am starting to make some good contacts in the field so maybe it will pay off eventually.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ May 9, 2011 -> 09:48 PM)
Yeah SIOP was just in Chicago this year. Lots of interesting stuff and tons of chances to meet people in the field. Also, CIOP has networking events about twice a year and meetings/speakers about 4 or 5 more times. A lot is about networking right now, especially in an economy that continues to be stale. That is what something online schools lack, but there are opportunities such as those mentioned above.

Really wanted to go but being out of work for a year now and not being an SIOP member, it would have cost me $375 for registration alone and I think another $100-$150 to use the job services. I was afraid to take the chance, given the money issue.

I have attended a couple of CIOP meetings though and I will attend more as they become available.

QUOTE (Art Vandelay @ May 10, 2011 -> 09:12 PM)
Really wanted to go but being out of work for a year now and not being an SIOP member, it would have cost me $375 for registration alone and I think another $100-$150 to use the job services. I was afraid to take the chance, given the money issue.

I have attended a couple of CIOP meetings though and I will attend more as they become available.

Oh yeah I forgot how expensive it is for non-members. I am a student affiliate, so it is real cheap for me at the moment, but that won't last for long.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ May 10, 2011 -> 07:01 PM)
Interviewed with the St. Louis Rams today for a summer marketing internship. I'm not sure if I got it but they sure sounded like they needed interns for the summer. Even if I don't get it that was good interviewing experience and at least I could say I got that far with a professional football team.

That's the right attitude to take. The more interviews you do, the better you'll get.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ May 11, 2011 -> 11:24 AM)
That's the right attitude to take. The more interviews you do, the better you'll get.

Im a firm believer that undergrad student organizations in the field of business (of course some orgs. wouldn't be right for this) should require new members to go through a minimum 25 behavioral interviews with senior members, that way they will be prepared or atleast not scared of behavioral interviews when looking for their first job (or beyond).

If anyone is looking at trying to get into the trading/finance industry out of college, the company I work for is looking for a couple of different spots. The warning is that the jobs might be temporary, but would be really good resume builders. Message me for more info.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 12, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)
Flying to Portland Monday for an interview. Took them a month to get back to me after the phone interview. These employers really know how to screw with you...

They don't seem to realize that they lose a lot of good talent by waiting so long sometimes.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ May 12, 2011 -> 01:01 PM)
They don't seem to realize that they lose a lot of good talent by waiting so long sometimes.

For my first job I had to wait about a month to hear back from them. I later found out that I was the first of 8 interviews they had lined up.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ May 12, 2011 -> 01:01 PM)

Well hopefully soon enough they will no longer have that luxury. I don't have specifics in front of me this moment, but I know hiring is up in a few sectors (so they say, anyway). If that's true, then they are going to need to start moving if they don't want to lose out on good candidates. Ironically, a guy who has been telling me he has a job for me since October (and here we are 7 months later and I'm still waiting) might be losing out on me soon if this continues. One of their competitors wants to interview me soon. Hey, you snooze, you lose.

QUOTE (Art Vandelay @ May 12, 2011 -> 03:43 PM)
Well hopefully soon enough they will no longer have that luxury. I don't have specifics in front of me this moment, but I know hiring is up in a few sectors (so they say, anyway). If that's true, then they are going to need to start moving if they don't want to lose out on good candidates. Ironically, a guy who has been telling me he has a job for me since October (and here we are 7 months later and I'm still waiting) might be losing out on me soon if this continues. One of their competitors wants to interview me soon. Hey, you snooze, you lose.

On the bolded above, I applied for over 40 openings last year and had one interview out of all that. This year I've already had 3 different organizations invite me in for an interview.