Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

QUOTE (Mr. Showtime @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 10:46 AM)
Steve, yeah she is still looking. She's been working with her sister on trying to clean up how the resume looks and adding more information to it. We live in Schaumburg, but she's been open to anything in terms of location.

Not sure what exactly she is looking for, but has she checked the University of Chicago Medical Center's job board?

If she sees anything on there of interest, let me know...I have a contact over there...

UCMC job board?

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 12:54 PM)
Not sure what exactly she is looking for, but has she checked the University of Chicago Medical Center's job board?

If she sees anything on there of interest, let me know...I have a contact over there...

UCMC job board?

She's open to anything really. I think her best fit as of now since she is basically a new grad is just a staff nurse type position.

I'll have to have her look at the link tonight and see if anything is what she is looking for.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Dec 23, 2013 -> 04:09 PM)
Wow. I guess I take for granted being close ish to work.

I got a good review and a 2% raise. Yeah... I'm so below market rate at this point, I probably should find a new gig.

Damn that's unfortunate, maybe see what's out there and find something better or atleast something with more money that can pressure your current company?

I'm anxiously awaiting to see my year end review and start talks about salary adjustment, as much as I love the company I work for they have been really bad in showing any sort of appreciation monetarily for hard work at the lower levels since they went through this re-org. Ideal situation is that they just promote me to the next level (which I've been pretty much doing for a few months on top of my normal workload) which puts me in a really nice payrange. We shall see what happens.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 23, 2013 -> 09:41 PM)
Me too...although now that we're under Berkshire Hathaway, who knows how long that will last...

Ha my company has been rumored these past few years as a target of Berkshire/Buffet. I doubt it ever happens now, we were much more attractive a few years ago before our stock soared.

Man I wish I could have a 5 mile commute, currently at about 25 miles each way...

Man I sure do enjoy my 5 mile commute

My commute to work right now is 5 miles. However my commute for the holidays is insane. From where I live now it is 250 miles to where most of my family lives and 125 miles to where most of my wife's family lives. We will end up logging over 1000 miles just visiting family for Christmas.

I am trying to find a new job that is going to cut down the holiday travel, plus with funding cuts to my agency, I'm one reorg away from getting transferred to LA or Atlanta. Finding work outside of government where I can start at a level that doesn't require me to take a massive pay cut is very challenging, so I have to be flexible. My target area is essentially anywhere in Indiana that is north of I-70 and south of I-90.

While meeting those requirements, Morocco is far from ideal due to not being near anything resembling a metro area, but this company has corporate offices in Indy so that option may be available in the future.

Just applied for a job that will double my current pay and I'd be doing pretty much the same thing I do now but actually less work overall. My close friend has a very good relationship with the hiring manager so hoping that goes a long way in getting me an interview and eventually the job. Only downfall is I live in Schaumburg and the job is in Minooka while my current job is 10 minutes away. Probably won't hear anything till after holidays but given how much I hate my current job really hoping this ends up happening.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 12:05 PM)
Just applied for a job that will double my current pay and I'd be doing pretty much the same thing I do now but actually less work overall. My close friend has a very good relationship with the hiring manager so hoping that goes a long way in getting me an interview and eventually the job. Only downfall is I live in Schaumburg and the job is in Minooka while my current job is 10 minutes away. Probably won't hear anything till after holidays but given how much I hate my current job really hoping this ends up happening.

Good luck!

Would it happen to be at Grainger?

I'm about a week in to the job search. Applied to 4 sports organizations so far I think. Everything seems to be either internships or 3-7 years experience needed. Where the hell are all the entry level jobs? Would have been willing to take an internship with Fort Wayne TinCaps or South Bend Silverhawks, but they pay between $500-$600 a month and expect up to 80 hours a week. That sounds awful.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 09:01 PM)
I'm about a week in to the job search. Applied to 4 sports organizations so far I think. Everything seems to be either internships or 3-7 years experience needed. Where the hell are all the entry level jobs? Would have been willing to take an internship with Fort Wayne TinCaps or South Bend Silverhawks, but they pay between $500-$600 a month and expect up to 80 hours a week. That sounds awful.

One thing to keep in mind: Even though organizations put a certain # of years of experience in the job description, it can still be worth it to apply. If you have any other experiences or things that you think could be a replacement for that, you can bring that up. Or if not, but you just think you're great for the job, it might be worth a shot to apply anyway. They might toss your resume as soon as they see the lack of experience, but then again, if no one else that applied has that type of experience, then they really can't throw away your resume. They'll have to give it a look.

It seems that more and more companies are going with the "best possible candidate" route in their description, but they don't always get this preferred candidate to apply (or if they do, that candidate might not end up accepting the job). Then they have to re-evaluate their choices and if no one else fits exactly what they said they wanted, then you might get pulled into the discussion.

It's not a bad commute. My wife does Manhattan to Schaumburg and has for 12 years. 355 makes it very doable.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 09:01 PM)

Welcome to the world of professional sports. I did the same thing working my way up the minor league baseball medical staff chain. Although the Mexican league was a lot of fun. The nice thing is the organization tend to be very loyal so if you stick with it, you do get opportunities fairly quickly.

If it's really what you want to do go for it and it will be worth it.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 25, 2013 -> 10:04 AM)
Did you intern anywhere? Other wise it's hard to get a job in sports organizations. You'll have to start small and earn your dues.

I interned at a Chicagoland radio station where I cohosted my own sports show every day, but I've yet to work for any team in general. And I have no problem starting small, I just can't find any entry level jobs outside of internships.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 25, 2013 -> 12:42 PM)
Welcome to the world of professional sports. I did the same thing working my way up the minor league baseball medical staff chain. Although the Mexican league was a lot of fun. The nice thing is the organization tend to be very loyal so if you stick with it, you do get opportunities fairly quickly.

If it's really what you want to do go for it and it will be worth it.

That's exactly what I want to do, start in minor leagues and work up. I mean, I would take a job with a major league club, but it's not a goal I expect to achieve with my first job. I don't think I can do Mexican leagues though.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 25, 2013 -> 10:48 AM)
One thing to keep in mind: Even though organizations put a certain # of years of experience in the job description, it can still be worth it to apply. If you have any other experiences or things that you think could be a replacement for that, you can bring that up. Or if not, but you just think you're great for the job, it might be worth a shot to apply anyway. They might toss your resume as soon as they see the lack of experience, but then again, if no one else that applied has that type of experience, then they really can't throw away your resume. They'll have to give it a look.

It seems that more and more companies are going with the "best possible candidate" route in their description, but they don't always get this preferred candidate to apply (or if they do, that candidate might not end up accepting the job). Then they have to re-evaluate their choices and if no one else fits exactly what they said they wanted, then you might get pulled into the discussion.

I just worry about the employer saying "Can he not read? It said 3-7 years, and he has NO experience. Must have trouble following directions." I probably do need to be more lenient with fitting the qualifications though because I generally don't apply unless I fit every criteria and every skill expected of me is something I possess. I just don't want to be put in a situation where I applied for a job where basic coding is required and I have no clue how to do it. I like to be very prepared for things.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 26, 2013 -> 01:53 AM)
That's exactly what I want to do, start in minor leagues and work up. I mean, I would take a job with a major league club, but it's not a goal I expect to achieve with my first job. I don't think I can do Mexican leagues though.

What kind of position are you looking for? I spent the last two summers working in baseball.