Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So my last 24 hours:

Yesterday, 2:45 - Boss calls my office to set up meeting for 3:30, despite the fact that I am off.

3:15 - Boss calls again, wondering why I haven't returned his call

Today, 7:45 - I call boss to remind him that I was off yesterday. He isn't in yet, though he supposedly starts work at 7:30

8:05 - Boss returns call and sets up meeting with me in my office for 1:00

12:55 - Boss calls to push meeting back to 1:30

1:35 - Boss calls to tell me he's just leaving his office (2 blocks away).

1:45 - Boss arrives and tells me he needs to talk to <co-worker> for 5 minutes.

2:25 - Boss comes out of <co-worker>'s office, over to mine, to tell me that we are going to take the weekly 2:30 conference call in <co-worker>'s office. I tell him that I am unaware of weekly 2:30 conference call. Boss realizes that he was supposed to have me be a part of weekly 2:30 conference call for the past 2 months but hasn't. Boss tells me not to bother with conference call and that he will fill me in when it is over at 3:15.

And my friends still wonder why I don't want to work here anymore.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
So I had interview about 3 weeks ago. I haven't heard any feedback regarding my interview or the position. I am going through a recruitment agency as a third party. The guy apparently went on vacation and just got back this week. My recruiter/agent has emailed him for feedback.

Should I just assume the worse here? I feel like they would have made an offer by now if they wanted me.

You'd have heard something by now if they wanted you.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
So I had interview about 3 weeks ago. I haven't heard any feedback regarding my interview or the position. I am going through a recruitment agency as a third party. The guy apparently went on vacation and just got back this week. My recruiter/agent has emailed him for feedback.

Should I just assume the worse here? I feel like they would have made an offer by now if they wanted me.

Unfortunately, 3 weeks is literally nothing. Do your weekly follow up for up to a month and a half, after that, move on. If they return your messages after that, see what happens. These are corporations we are talking about here, think about the things that we all need done at work and how long it takes sometimes. It's like that in the hiring process as well, not always a bad thing but they are just doing their due diligence (sometimes).

I'm still interviewing with places but that one is probably the place I do want to work. I'll probably get an offer soon so I wanted to give them first dibs but oh well.

Here is the kicker, I interviewed with this place about 2 years ago and didn't get the gig. The people that interviewed me this time around remembered me. I know since it's a pharmaceutical company they'll have to DEA background checks and such but you would think they would run those after they extend an offer.

Edited by pettie4sox

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 02:33 PM)
I'm still interviewing with places but that one is probably the place I do want to work. I'll probably get an offer soon so I wanted to give them first dibs but oh well.

Here is the kicker, I interviewed with this place about 2 years ago and didn't get the gig. The people that interviewed me this time around remembered me. I know since it's a pharmaceutical company they'll have to DEA background checks and such but you would think they would run those after they extend an offer.

I'm in the process of evaluating a new opportunity and did not receive an official offer until after the background check process. Most companies I've ever worked with run the background checks prior to extending (and check references prior to extending). Usually they give you a heads up that they are starting the process (as a courtesy) and typically once they start that process, it is a sign that you are either the final candidate or one of the final candidates.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 04:33 PM)

They'll do it before. They don't want to whittle their search down to one person and extend you the offer only to find out that you have 8 illegal possession of prescription drug charges against you. Then they have to make the awkward call back and say they made a mistake and then go to the next person, which also wastes company time and money too.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 04:33 PM)

If you get a different offer, don't hesitate to call your top choice and tell them.

Last week, I had a phone interview for a job, and they are asking me to come in next Tuesday for an in-person interview.

The phone interview was a conference call with the department head, the Director of Operations, and the Executive Director, and lasted about 45 minutes, going over my work history, asking me what seems like normal interview questions on situations/projects/school/etc.

Now, I don't have much experience for this second level of interviews, because I've only had 2 jobs for the past 14 years (only been at my current job for 1.5 years). The in-person interview for my current job was a joke and lasted only about 15 minutes, so (to me) it's not really a good thing to base this upcoming interview on.

I know every situation is different, but I'm just looking to get some kind of feel on what I should get prepared on for this upcoming interview. Do they typically ask for more situation experience? Or are they just trying to see how I may fit in with others there?

Any kind of input would help. Thanks in advance.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 07:17 PM)
Last week, I had a phone interview for a job, and they are asking me to come in next Tuesday for an in-person interview.

The phone interview was a conference call with the department head, the Director of Operations, and the Executive Director, and lasted about 45 minutes, going over my work history, asking me what seems like normal interview questions on situations/projects/school/etc.

Now, I don't have much experience for this second level of interviews, because I've only had 2 jobs for the past 14 years (only been at my current job for 1.5 years). The in-person interview for my current job was a joke and lasted only about 15 minutes, so (to me) it's not really a good thing to base this upcoming interview on.

I know every situation is different, but I'm just looking to get some kind of feel on what I should get prepared on for this upcoming interview. Do they typically ask for more situation experience? Or are they just trying to see how I may fit in with others there?

Any kind of input would help. Thanks in advance.

I have found the questions asked in an interview are usually more a reflection of what is wrong at a company than anything else. Usually if they are asking you how you would handle a certain situation, it is because it was a problem before.

Honestly every place is different. It depends on the field, and the company you are talking to.

So, it has been over 2 years since graduation, and I still haven't gotten an interview for either jobs in my field or anything else. I have decided to share my plight with you guys, to see if anyone can help/give me some advice/moral support. First off I have Asperger's. 1/88 people are on the autism spectrum, in case you guys don't know. I thought that choosing chemical engineering as my field would help mitigate some of the problems when interviewing/applying for jobs but it hasn't. I don't have much job experience because it has been difficult to find work. For example, I started looking for my first job before I turned 16 and it took me almost 2 years to get an interview, and shortly afterward I got hired. I quit that job to focus on my studies, and haven't worked consistently since the Sox won the Series.

I spent 6 years at college getting my degree. While in school, I tried to get internships/jobs during career fairs but never got calls/interviews on anything. I just thought that it was due to the economy, and maybe that they were looking for 1-2 people at most and they were only choosing the best of the best for them. In late 2011 when I graduated, I started looking for work and quickly found that there weren't a lot of jobs out there for entry level ChEs,(industry slang for chemical engineers) I was also confused as time went on why other people that I graduated with were getting interviews/jobs while I wasn't. 2 years later, According to the professors that I had at the university, I am the lone person from that class who doesn't have a job.

I don't know what I can do to get hired, anywhere. I try to get what I like to call "a job" instead of "the job" and I get the same result. I know people can tell by talking to me that something is up(I have a loud, high-pitched, monotone voice) but why can't I, for some reason or another, convey to them that I am still capable of doing the job? Though I didn't get awesome grades in college( I still got over 3.0 in engineering) Every professor that I had has told me that in terms of pure ability, I was one of the best students that they have ever had. But for some reason, I can't get out of the black hole of online resumes. Also, because of the Asperger's, relocating would be very difficult/stressful(if not impossible right away) so I have to stay in the Chicago area until I get 5 years of experience. I am willing to intern somewhere if need be, so if anyone can help me in any way, that would be greatly appreciated. I'd especially like to talk with someone in HR somewhere to find out why others who graduate college with little/no work experience can still find work, and I'm struggling to get even 1 interview.

I wished I had more time now to reply, I will add a couple more in a PM this weekend. First off college grads have been having all sorts of problems the past decade it seems like. My thoughts, and remember I don't know you are . . .

Find a job, any job to get in the job market. Start by researching best firms to work for in X. Or best firms to work for with autism. Narrow it down, forget for a moment that you are a chemical engineer and get working.

Next, think about jobs that would prove that your negative isn't a negative. Sales jobs may be way out of your comfort level, but they are easy to get, and since you income is zero now, a straight commission type thing won't be a financial risk. I hired a lot of people as a General Manager for a large regional company. I was a sucker for someone with something to prove and a chip on their shoulder. If I was convinced you wanted a chance to prove the world wrong, you made my final cut. I'll take hard work and a underdog mentality every time if you want to prove the world wrong. (probably why I am a Sox fan).

The toughest job to find is the one when you aren't working. More than a few people here will tell you tales of being out of work for a while, getting a job, and having three more offers that month. But go somewhere, anywhere, and start punching a time clock. As you said, a lot of people have autistic disorders. Most find their way in the world. Find jobs, date, get married, have kids, and live happily ever after. It will happen for you.

Didn't get the gig. To add insult to injury, I came in 3rd for two positions available. I'm the epitome of the biggest loser. LMAO

I've never heard of somebody being told that they were third. A couple times I got told I was 2nd, but other than that I just get told I didn't get the job.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 8, 2014 -> 03:22 PM)
I've never heard of somebody being told that they were third. A couple times I got told I was 2nd, but other than that I just get told I didn't get the job.

Well it was a direct hire position through a recruitment agency. I'm sure the company would share more details about the candidates the agency sent. There were two positions open so I was pretty much next in line if one of the first two guys said no per her. Not sure if she'd bulls*** me to make me feel better as there is no merit in that. Additionally, I'm still the same as the last place candidate in terms that I have no offer so it's not something I'm really celebratory about.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 22, 2014 -> 01:25 PM)
Lost my job today. During the HR meeting though I totally owned my boss. So that felt good.

I'm probably going to have to collect unemployment. I have never done it before so how much should I expect?

Do you have dependents? IL has two tiers.

My fiance was just let go due to a restructuring at a major company located in the city, she was given a nice severance package over the course of the next 10 weeks. Crazy thing being, we get married in a little over three months followed by a 2 week honeymoon that's already locked and loaded

I am not worried whatsoever about her finding a job as she is well connected and great at what she does. We have been questioned as to what the plans are moving forward, does she apply for unemployment after her 10 weeks are up (only a couple weeks before the wedding)? Or does she find a job as soon as possible and just give a heads up about the many days off that are needed come September and perhaps some more before hand?

I firmly believe that if you are the right person for the job, they will accept you regardless but a few others in the industry think that it may not be a good idea.

What does everyone think?

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 28, 2014 -> 03:53 PM)
She can apply for unemployment immediately. I got a severance package when I got let go at my old job and they actually advised us to do exactly that.

Interesting, thanks - Just a quick google search shows that Illinois consider severance payment for PAST services. She is taking this over a 10 week span and not lump sum, is this what you did as well?

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ May 28, 2014 -> 04:03 PM)
Interesting, thanks - Just a quick google search shows that Illinois consider severance payment for PAST services. She is taking this over a 10 week span and not lump sum, is this what you did as well?

I always took payments as a lump sum. i would contact the Il unemployment offices and ask. Also be sure to note who told you the answer, because they aren't the brightest people work with. I had many disasters.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ May 28, 2014 -> 04:03 PM)

It’s been awhile but I think that’s what I did. They sent a check every 2 weeks.