Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had an interview set up for a sales position for the biggest Medical company in the game for tomorrow. Day taken off, 100% prepared for the interview, I get a call 24 hours prior (a few minutes ago) that the position is now cancelled and moved to another state. Doesn't get any more unprofessional than that in my opinion. What a joke

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 08:06 AM)
Had an interview set up for a sales position for the biggest Medical company in the game for tomorrow. Day taken off, 100% prepared for the interview, I get a call 24 hours prior (a few minutes ago) that the position is now cancelled and moved to another state. Doesn't get any more unprofessional than that in my opinion. What a joke

I've had similar happen. It is extremely amatuerish.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 07:23 AM)
I've had similar happen. It is extremely amatuerish.

It's better they tell you prior to the interview rather than hold the interview anyway and waste your time.

Nothing like having an interview for a position you know about 3 questions in you never had a chance of getting.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 09:27 AM)
It's better they tell you prior to the interview rather than hold the interview anyway and waste your time.

Nothing like having an interview for a position you know about 3 questions in you never had a chance of getting.

The thing is, no company should be scheduling interviews if they are moving a position out of state, or even considering it.

Another waste of time: You fill out an online job application that asks for a salary requirement. You fill in the salary requirement, get called for an interview, have the interview, and then get told that the starting salary for the position is 30% less than the amount you listed on the application. I actually asked the guy if he was too ignorant to notice my answer to too stupid to realize that he couldn't get me down 30% from that number.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 09:27 AM)

I completely understand that but this wasn't just thought up or decided at 8AM this morning, this was either planned or they found somebody else for the position. Either way, if you schedule an interview with a currently employed prospect, this should not happen.

I didn't even add that they asked me to meet for this interview on Tuesday (as in June 3rd) asking that I get back to them ASAP. Confirmed with them yesterday.

Edited by Chi Town Sox

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)
Forbes

People who stay with the same company for more than 2 years make 50% less...

I can see that, HR here seemingly has no issues changing job titles of open management positions to higher levels to attract more talent but they are much more stringent in promoting current employees. I'm currently more than 15% below HR's market range for my position, really the only way I could put pressure on them to give me a raise is to look for another job, otherwise they know they are getting a bargain.

who wants to deal with the awfulness that is job hunting essentially all the time?

I'm not convinced by the argument he's advancing, anyway. He says that people get a 10-20% raise typically when they switch companies. Ok, but does that mean it's realistic for someone to switch companies every 2 years or so and that they'd still be commanding that 10-20% bump every time?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 09:33 AM)
The thing is, no company should be scheduling interviews if they are moving a position out of state, or even considering it.

If the do that on a routine basis I agree. I can understand once in a decade a situation comes up that is unpredictable. In this case if they are utilizing an employee in a different location instead of laying him/her off, etc. it should be forgiven.

I'd love to start looking for another gig somewhere. I know i'm underpaid, but I enjoy the people I work with and the level of stress/anxiety this job has. So it's a tough call.

Plus I just feel so weird applying places and then interviewing while i'm working here. It's not a typical job where you can take a day and no one cares why. Not that they care if I take a day, but I dunno, it's 5 attorneys and staff and you usually have to have people cover some work so you feel obligated to explain why you're taking a day.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 01:57 PM)
who wants to deal with the awfulness that is job hunting essentially all the time?

I'm not convinced by the argument he's advancing, anyway. He says that people get a 10-20% raise typically when they switch companies. Ok, but does that mean it's realistic for someone to switch companies every 2 years or so and that they'd still be commanding that 10-20% bump every time?

No; they most likely wouldn't. This is true early in your career but becomes less true when you advance. It also seems that some of these stats might be flawed. I think when you are more tenured, the window is expanded in terms of expectations of how long you stay. Note, there is also variability depending on the industry / career you are in.

As you guys probably know by now, I actually enjoy job hunting...I find it exciting to look at doing different things for different companies in different locations. It's not so much the hunting part that I hate, but the moving part that sucks.

Starting in August I will be the head golf coach and English IV teacher at a San Antonio high school. It was my #1 district choice, my #1 coaching choice, and my #1 teaching choice. I mean it doesn't compare to getting an admin spot here, but it still is pretty nice.

There is a freshman player coming in that was last year's 8th grade champion. Now if I can find a couple more to build a team . . .

Relocating is going to be a struggle.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 02:48 PM)
Starting in August I will be the head golf coach and English IV teacher at a San Antonio high school. It was my #1 district choice, my #1 coaching choice, and my #1 teaching choice. I mean it doesn't compare to getting an admin spot here, but it still is pretty nice.

There is a freshman player coming in that was last year's 8th grade champion. Now if I can find a couple more to build a team . . .

Relocating is going to be a struggle.

:cheers

Congrats and goodluck!