Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 10:33 AM)
Had a phone interview with Baxter labs yesterday and they scheduled a face to face interview for next Tuesday. The problem, it's in f***ing Round Lake, IL.

straight. f***ing. boonies.

I plotted a metra course but it only gets me 3.0 miles away from the lab.

Anyone live out or near this area that could give me tips?

I think a lot of those larger companies in the burbs offer shuttle service to/from the Metra. I don't know if that's something they would even offer to an interviewee but just a thought I had. And it could come in handy if you get the job.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 09:06 AM)
Anybody ever have to negotiate a vacation period soon after you start a job? I am pretty far along in a process and in exactly 58 days leave for a 12 day honeymoon. Tell them before or after a possible job offer?

I think since it is your honeymoon they will do whatever they can within reason to accommodate you.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)
I think since it is your honeymoon they will do whatever they can within reason to accommodate you.

I agree; I would wait until you have the offer and then mention it. Either way it shouldn't matter. People understand it is your honeymoon.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 28, 2014 -> 10:18 PM)
I'm late to the party, but congrats! I just happened to notice that on the first page of this entire thread, you mentioned that you wanted to end up closer to Austin. Glad you were able to make it happen. San Antonio is only about an hour from Austin, isn't it?

Longer than that but not too bad.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 10:33 AM)
Had a phone interview with Baxter labs yesterday and they scheduled a face to face interview for next Tuesday. The problem, it's in f***ing Round Lake, IL.

straight. f***ing. boonies.

I plotted a metra course but it only gets me 3.0 miles away from the lab.

Anyone live out or near this area that could give me tips?

I grew up out that way. Not at "boonies" as you might imagine. But it is "need a car land".

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 01:18 PM)
You drive slow.

I'm on the far west side of SA. 85 miles to 6th Street. So yeah, just over an hour. Plus. I have to stop at Buc-ees

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 11:06 AM)
Anybody ever have to negotiate a vacation period soon after you start a job? I am pretty far along in a process and in exactly 58 days leave for a 12 day honeymoon. Tell them before or after a possible job offer?

I'd tell them right after the offer, as a part of the hiring negotitations. If you say something too soon, they might drop you from consideration.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 02:11 PM)
Got a job offer in Iowa. Waiting for my wife's work to clear her to work from home (she's currently based out of their offices near Chicago). If she's cleared, we're off to Iowa City!

Congrats!

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 04:11 PM)
Got a job offer in Iowa. Waiting for my wife's work to clear her to work from home (she's currently based out of their offices near Chicago). If she's cleared, we're off to Iowa City!

Best of luck brother. =)

Does that alleviate the other issue?

Congrats!

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 02:51 PM)
I have had three interviews with a company and they just now called my references, hope that is a good sign!

Fantastic sign. It is either yours to offer or you are in the final 2. Normally companies don't spend the money / effort to go through references until they have made up their mind or at least put you into the final two or three spots.

THe rug just got pulled out from underneath me. My wife was expecting her job to allow her to work from home if we moved to Iowa. They just told her now that she cannot (even though all 3 of the people above her were ok with it).

Looks like I have to turn down the job now. I am so pissed.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 12:32 PM)
THe rug just got pulled out from underneath me. My wife was expecting her job to allow her to work from home if we moved to Iowa. They just told her now that she cannot (even though all 3 of the people above her were ok with it).

That's just s***ty. I wonder if mentioning that you had accepted a job because of what she was told would do anything?

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 03:58 PM)
That's just s***ty. I wonder if mentioning that you had accepted a job because of what she was told would do anything?

na. it was a pretty hard no. The higher-ups didnt want to spend the time/money to setup taxes in another state. Her boss and bosses boss fought to let her move and stay with the company

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 04:25 PM)
na. it was a pretty hard no. The higher-ups didnt want to spend the time/money to setup taxes in another state. Her boss and bosses boss fought to let her move and stay with the company

Is her getting a job in Iowa City a viable option?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 05:34 PM)
Fantastic sign. It is either yours to offer or you are in the final 2. Normally companies don't spend the money / effort to go through references until they have made up their mind or at least put you into the final two or three spots.

I got it, pretty solid week for me, wife and I got a new place and a new position within a 48 hour span.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 12:32 PM)

Uh, I don't know much about your relationship but from what I can tell moving would be better for you and your marriage. So, I think you should consider just moving and seeing if she can get a job.