Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 06:40 PM)
What's the correct answer when an employer is asking for your salary requirements? Is it wrong to be ambiguous and say that its up for negotiation?

I have always put "negotiable" when it comes to a situation like that. To me, I dont want to low-ball my potential pay, but I dont want to over-price myself out of a job I might be willing to take less at to do.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 06:40 PM)
What's the correct answer when an employer is asking for your salary requirements?

Is it wrong to be ambiguous and say that its up for negotiation? Pay isn't the only factor when deciding if I want a job. Or does is seem as if I'm being difficult and chances are they will skip me because I don't give a straight answer?

No, the correct answer is it's negotiable. As in, depending on other benefits, work environment, etc...pay could be higher or lower.

Example, if you want me to work nights in a heated 110 degree basement...I'm probably wanting something extra... ;) If you're quick witted and know how to deliver lines like that, you could actually use stuff like that in an interview and make them laugh.

Key in an interview isn't knowing the most...it's making the best impression. If they remember you because they like you, thought you were funny, personable, etc...that goes further than knowing everything but being a boring blah face.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 08:11 AM)
Sometimes it's that...

Or you can just play the game and get the promotions.

I give nobody any credit, "kudos" or "props" for not "kissing ass" in order to get ahead in the business world. This is how the game is played, if you don't want to play it, don't...but don't b**** when you get passed, either. Also, do note I surround the words "kissing ass" in quotes because it's a bulls*** term when related to business to begin with. Those people you claim are "kissing ass" are also the ones that do exactly what they're told, when they're told, and work extra hours that you're totally unaware of, etc.

I know, because I've been accused of the same in many places.

I'm an ass kisser, that's why I get the vacations I request and the promotions.

Right.

I'm also the guy the boss would call at 3am when something was broken, and fix it...only to come in that morning at 7am and work the entire day.

Oh, and if it was a friend of the bosses...you just got welcomed to how the really real world really works.

Balmer wanted to stay at Harvard and study finance. I'm sure he would have made some decent money, too...

But his stupid friend Bill Gates told him, "f*** Harvard dude, come help me at Microsoft". Same with his other friend Paul Allen.

Balmer is now worth about 14.5 billion dollars. So is Paul Allen. Had they not been friends with the right guy, they'd probably be working at an investment firm making decent money...but nowhere near $14,500,000,000.

Contacts, friends, etc...in MOST areas of the business world, it's who you know. Not what you know or where you went to school.

Edit.

Damn, so much to say but I just can't. :lol:

I do understand and agree with the "who you know" part, but the first part is pretty ridiculous now, unfortunately.

Edited by kapkomet

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 08:40 PM)
Edit.

Damn, so much to say but I just can't. :lol:

I do understand and agree with the "who you know" part, but the first part is pretty ridiculous now, unfortunately.

No it's not. :P

There are people who do exactly what they're told, when they're told, work extra hours, do good work, and still aren't kissing ass. Some people do lose my respect for completely kissing ass, to the point where they are doing ANYTHING and everything to impress the boss, i.e. personal matters, socially, etc. Some people are slaves to their boss. Have fun, I'd rather not do that and let them control my life. There's a happy medium.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 10:12 PM)
There are people who do exactly what they're told, when they're told, work extra hours, do good work, and still aren't kissing ass. Some people do lose my respect for completely kissing ass, to the point where they are doing ANYTHING and everything to impress the boss, i.e. personal matters, socially, etc. Some people are slaves to their boss. Have fun, I'd rather not do that and let them control my life. There's a happy medium.

Actually, there is more than just a happy medium...and that's the entire point. It's not where you are now, it's where you're trying to get and the most feasible path to get there. If the difference is in you finding some sort of dignity in 'not kissing ass' (whatever that even means) versus getting where the "ass kisser" gets, then so be it...call it what you will. If it works, it works. While you call it saving face and having dignity, I call it climbing the ladder. Getting ahead.

It's business.

Business works in many different ways, this being just one of them. It depends on the sort of boss you have, first and foremost, their sense of humor, personality, etc. If you're any good at feeling people out you can use this to your advantage...and it doesn't matter if schlep A sitting in their cubicle thinks your an ass kisser because you chat the boss up...schlep A is going to lose when promotion time comes around because of it. They can enjoy their faux dignity, I'll enjoy the raise and promotion. :P

In the end, I don't work for some company, I work for Y2HH.org...for my family. Period. And if being overly nice to the boss helps my family, then I'm going to be overly nice to the boss.

Oh, and If the "ass kisser" (as many of you seem to love calling them) doesn't mind doing what they're doing or even likes their place in X company, shut the f*** up and stop complaining...you don't have to do it, and further, you don't have to be there. You are no one to judge, either. But don't b**** when they're getting ahead of you because you perceive them to be ass kissers...and that's exactly what I see a few people here doing.

Hard work will only get you so far...knowing the right people and having the right people like you will get you the rest of the way. :P

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 01:34 PM)
Still waiting to hear back from the job I interviewed for. They called my references last week, and I sent a follow up Thank You email last Monday. Just eager to hear back from them. I am expecting something one way or the other this week... just antsi.

We're in the same boat. The anticipation is killing me.

I'm meeting with my bosses over the weekend or on Monday to see if I fit in the organization's plan for being extended as a marketing intern. I don't really know if this is an interview or just a discussion so I am not sure how to prepare. What I will say about my internship is that I am not an idea guy, which is something that I perceive sports marketing professionals needing to be. This internship was good exposure in discovering what it is like to work in the sport industry, but I am not sure where I would fit because it seems like every team has more sales positions than marketing positions. And I would rather go work construction than work in sales. So I am a bit concerned about staying with the team since I am not sure what transferable skills I have learned to adapt to different industries, with the exception of research.

The question is, do I stay with the team even though I would have to find a place to live (or continue living in the hotel I am in at $32 a night) and be able to have a part-time job to make ends meet in St. Louis? I discovered today that one of the corporate partnerships interns was getting a $750 stipend per month and he had been there since March when I arrived in June, so that is hopefully what I would make. Or do I return to Chicago, get a part-time job and find an unpaid internship that is communications related to see if I like that better? Both have advantages and disadvantages, at least at home I could see my friends and live at home, but I might never get the same entry point to this industry (even if I would gain contacts from this internship with Chicago teams).

Edited by MuckFinnesota

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 06:08 PM)
I'm meeting with my bosses over the weekend or on Monday to see if I fit in the organization's plan for being extended as a marketing intern. I don't really know if this is an interview or just a discussion so I am not sure how to prepare. What I will say about my internship is that I am not an idea guy, which is something that I perceive sports marketing professionals needing to be. This internship was good exposure in discovering what it is like to work in the sport industry, but I am not sure where I would fit because it seems like every team has more sales positions than marketing positions. And I would rather go work construction than work in sales. So I am a bit concerned about staying with the team since I am not sure what transferable skills I have learned to adapt to different industries, with the exception of research.

The question is, do I stay with the team even though I would have to find a place to live (or continue living in the hotel I am in at $32 a night) and be able to have a part-time job to make ends meet in St. Louis? I discovered today that one of the corporate partnerships interns was getting a $750 stipend per month and he had been there since March when I arrived in June, so that is hopefully what I would make. Or do I return to Chicago, get a part-time job and find an unpaid internship that is communications related to see if I like that better? Both have advantages and disadvantages, at least at home I could see my friends and live at home, but I might never get the same entry point to this industry (even if I would gain contacts from this internship with Chicago teams).

All an interview is, to the point, is them trying to sell the company to you, and you trying to sell yourself to the company. An interview, most people seem to forget, is a two way street. They need help, and you need a job.

If you are still young, as you seem to be, don't be afraid to try different things...there will be plenty of jobs of various types at various companies in your future. While you still can, experiment and figure out what it is you really love to do...the money will come on it's own. Until then, think of this as an adventure...have fun with it...you have a lifetime ahead of you to worry about the small stuff.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 09:48 AM)
Actually, there is more than just a happy medium...and that's the entire point. It's not where you are now, it's where you're trying to get and the most feasible path to get there. If the difference is in you finding some sort of dignity in 'not kissing ass' (whatever that even means) versus getting where the "ass kisser" gets, then so be it...call it what you will. If it works, it works. While you call it saving face and having dignity, I call it climbing the ladder. Getting ahead.

It's business.

Business works in many different ways, this being just one of them. It depends on the sort of boss you have, first and foremost, their sense of humor, personality, etc. If you're any good at feeling people out you can use this to your advantage...and it doesn't matter if schlep A sitting in their cubicle thinks your an ass kisser because you chat the boss up...schlep A is going to lose when promotion time comes around because of it. They can enjoy their faux dignity, I'll enjoy the raise and promotion. :P

In the end, I don't work for some company, I work for Y2HH.org...for my family. Period. And if being overly nice to the boss helps my family, then I'm going to be overly nice to the boss.

Oh, and If the "ass kisser" (as many of you seem to love calling them) doesn't mind doing what they're doing or even likes their place in X company, shut the f*** up and stop complaining...you don't have to do it, and further, you don't have to be there. You are no one to judge, either. But don't b**** when they're getting ahead of you because you perceive them to be ass kissers...and that's exactly what I see a few people here doing.

Hard work will only get you so far...knowing the right people and having the right people like you will get you the rest of the way. :P

I get how this works, but people go way too far, and it's not for everyone. People can absolutely b**** if they want to b****, and judge if they want to judge. Some people are a joke, and if they get a promotion due to ass kissing over merit (if the other employee is also nice, just not an ass kisser, than that's bulls***, people can b**** about that.) If working at XYZ company is that bad that the only way to move up is to be a complete slave to the boss, i.e. running personal errands, always hanging out with them socially, letting them control parts of your life they have no business doing, etc, then that boss sucks, and I wouldn't want to be there anyway. Ass kissing isn't the only way to move up, which is what you're leading on.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 06:51 PM)
All an interview is, to the point, is them trying to sell the company to you, and you trying to sell yourself to the company. An interview, most people seem to forget, is a two way street. They need help, and you need a job.

If you are still young, as you seem to be, don't be afraid to try different things...there will be plenty of jobs of various types at various companies in your future. While you still can, experiment and figure out what it is you really love to do...the money will come on it's own. Until then, think of this as an adventure...have fun with it...you have a lifetime ahead of you to worry about the small stuff.

It's a two way street...with one person driving a semi-truck and the other person driving a smart car. Especially in today's economy.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 08:19 PM)
I get how this works, but people go way too far, and it's not for everyone. People can absolutely b**** if they want to b****, and judge if they want to judge. Some people are a joke, and if they get a promotion due to ass kissing over merit (if the other employee is also nice, just not an ass kisser, than that's bulls***, people can b**** about that. If working at XYZ company is that bad that the only way to move up is to be a complete slave to the boss, i.e. running personal errands, always hanging out with them socially, letting them control parts of your life they have no business doing, etc, then that boss sucks, and I wouldn't want to be there anyway. Ass kissing isn't the only way to move up, which is what you're leading on.

No, I'm not leading on to that at all...it's merely one facet of the game called business. And again, what I'm talking about it not ass kissing. That said, if you're running personal errands for your boss, ok...that's over the professional line and I get that you can consider something like that "ass kissing"...but going out of your way to be nice, and to be social, that's not ass kissing, though most perceive it to be.

I'd never run personal errands for any boss, because you're right in that regard, it's not a boss I'd even want or accept.

You guys are talking about absolute extreme cases...in my entire professional career, I've NEVER witnessed any such extreme cases. I did, however, witness the typical quiet people vs the more social people like myself...and the quiet guys call me an ass kisser...maybe that's where the confusion lies between what you're saying, and what I'm saying.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 08:22 PM)
It's a two way street...with one person driving a semi-truck and the other person driving a smart car. Especially in today's economy.

Depends, I know currently the market for people in IT is ridiculously high, and there's not enough supply at all. In fact, my company is having to headhunt to try and fill positions, and if you're being headhunted then you have much more leverage.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 08:27 PM)
Depends, I know currently the market for people in IT is ridiculously high, and there's not enough supply at all. In fact, my company is having to headhunt to try and fill positions, and if you're being headhunted then you have much more leverage.

That's because in IT, most people have little to no real world experience...it's why I feel sorry for college grads with IT related degrees. Almost everything they've learned is pretty much everything they'll never use. :D

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 06:51 PM)

I graduated from college in May with a degree in Business. I often wonder if I should have stuck with a writing oriented major even though people gave me plenty of s***, just because I feel I'd be good at PR. I wonder how people oriented you have to be to be in media relations because I can talk to people but I am not extroverted. Maybe that's a small thing I shouldn't worry about and instead I should be focusing on going back to school or I should go work part-time and intern with some place in the city to get involved with communications (not radio or newspapers). But I'll see how this meeting goes since I don't think it is an interview.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 08:26 PM)
No, I'm not leading on to that at all...it's merely one facet of the game called business. And again, what I'm talking about it not ass kissing. That said, if you're running personal errands for your boss, ok...that's over the professional line and I get that you can consider something like that "ass kissing"...but going out of your way to be nice, and to be social, that's not ass kissing, though most perceive it to be.

I'd never run personal errands for any boss, because you're right in that regard, it's not a boss I'd even want or accept.

You guys are talking about absolute extreme cases...in my entire professional career, I've NEVER witnessed any such extreme cases. I did, however, witness the typical quiet people vs the more social people like myself...and the quiet guys call me an ass kisser...maybe that's where the confusion lies between what you're saying, and what I'm saying.

As an intern I've made it a point to get to know each person on the team personally and beyond just a standard work relationship. I talk to them about sports, relationships, politics, family, etc, because this builds a trust with them. I think it's highly important for somebody interested in management to be able to get to know people outside of work (not saying dating them, but know who they are, their interests, etc). A person who doesn't make these efforts may be overlooked because they tend to not have as much respect as a person that does do it.

Now a person dating a boss to get a promotion is just wrong all around, but I've never actually seen that.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
That's because in IT, most people have little to no real world experience...it's why I feel sorry for college grads with IT related degrees. Almost everything they've learned is pretty much everything they'll never use. :D

I personally think CS and IT degrees are almost pointless for those going into the field. You'll never learn anything specific enough that you'll be using it in work. Atleast the IT degree tends to be mostly a business degree which can help quite a bit (I'm sure you've noticed how there can be a complete lack of business knowledge in many IT teams).

But yea, I've had 3 internships in IT and almost everything I've done has been new to me. I can apply some of the high level learning I've had but for the most part it's all new.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 08:26 PM)

That's where the confusion lies. I agree with you about playing the game, being social, nice, etc. I'm talking about that extreme example, that's why I'm labeling that as ass kissing. I have witnessed it. Wouldn't say it's common, but I'm sure others have seen s*** like that.

Yea, I've seen it. And I've gotten personally screwed by it at least three times in my career now.

And I do pretty much everything and more that's asked of me. I just don't suck schlong is about the nicest way I can put it right now.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 08:40 PM)
Yea, I've seen it. And I've gotten personally screwed by it at least three times in my career now.

And I do pretty much everything and more that's asked of me. I just don't suck schlong is about the nicest way I can put it right now.

That's some s***ty situations to be in Kap. Do you ask for feedback in one on one's especially why you weren't moved up? Because if you get feedback and you improve in those areas and they still pass you up then you could bring that to HR (but from what I've seen that doesn't do you a whole lot of good).

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 08:47 PM)
That's some s***ty situations to be in Kap. Do you ask for feedback in one on one's especially why you weren't moved up? Because if you get feedback and you improve in those areas and they still pass you up then you could bring that to HR (but from what I've seen that doesn't do you a whole lot of good).

I can't say a whole lot right now about "right now"... :lol: ... but let's just say that I have asked THAT specific question at different places, and it didn't get answered because they couldn't say anything that I haven't done or to improve to get to what I was promised. Outstanding reviews, terrific job, but what is not said often times is "you're not my b**** and I don't like that". That's where the games come in, and I am absolutely not a game player.

And HR is a puppet in most companies - and just so everyone knows or understands, HR is NOT there to represent you, they are there to represent the company, no ifs, ands, or buts.

Edited by kapkomet

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 23, 2011 -> 03:57 PM)
Been at this job for coming up on 6 years and just got passed up for promotion by a lady who has been there 3 months and is friends with the supervisor. Go me for not being an ass kisser.

i agree with the other comments; time to find a new job

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 08:40 PM)

Then maybe you should, and we wouldn't have to read your vile filled posts because you'd be in a better mood. :D

I had the meeting with my boss and a co-worker that I work under close supervision with today. They appeared to want me to stay till the end of August, extending my time with the team for 18 days. It seems like they need help for training camp but I have something personal going on back home to attend to. Even if I don't stay, they said they would be willing to put me into contact with members of most Chicago teams with the exception of the Blackhawks. So I don't see much of a difference if I stayed or went home but the contacts part of this was important.