Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll do a "vanity search" every once and a while to see what comes up. I have a cousin, with the same name, who is a disney imagineer. So most of the stuff that comes up is him.

My Facebook and Google+ are almost 100% locked down and my Twitter name doesnt have my name in it at all.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

So I had a big time interview scheduled for this morning with possible relocation consequences and I was super excited/anxious about it, pretty much kept me up all night. I check my email this morning and turns out the person that was supposed to interview me had to reschedule to Monday because she got sick. Ugh.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 10:07 AM)
All of the above. Why make it public? You gain nothing and have more to lose.

But if it is set to private it shouldn't be that big of a deal since my google search doesn't allow people to see my friends list or content. I don't use curse words every few seconds like some used car sales guys I know. About the only thing that they might not like is that I'm outspoken and am not a "yes" man. I have gotten better online...I used to sit there and just start debates on the internet to piss people off. But since then I have posted discussion based content so employers know that I can think on my feet and ask questions to produce different results (instead of just going along with groupthink and getting the same garbage over and over again as teams I know are prone to do!).

Edited by MuckFinnesota

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 10:12 PM)
But if it is set to private it shouldn't be that big of a deal since my google search doesn't allow people to see my friends list or content. I don't use curse words every few seconds like some used car sales guys I know. About the only thing that they might not like is that I'm outspoken and am not a "yes" man. I have gotten better online...I used to sit there and just start debates on the internet to piss people off. But since then I have posted discussion based content so employers know that I can think on my feet and ask questions to produce different results (instead of just going along with groupthink and getting the same garbage over and over again as teams I know are prone to do!).

I don't think you understood my point. Yes, if you have privacy settings enabled where only friends can see your posts then you will be ok.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 10:22 PM)
I don't think you understood my point. Yes, if you have privacy settings enabled where only friends can see your posts then you will be ok.

Reading was never my specialty. "Public" was the key word there. I wonder though, if an employer is skeptical of the candidate that chooses to make their Facebook unavailable to them or if it just puts more stock on the interview and judging your character there. To a certain extent it is an invasion of privacy and may be a misrepresentation of who you actually are. But I get why they Google and stalk you.

Anyone worked or currently work with the OCC? I had honestly never heard about it - I have no idea how it was never mentioned in any of my classes, but I don't ever recall hearing about it - and am just generally curious about any steps I should take in applying with them.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 01:58 AM)
Anyone worked or currently work with the OCC? I had honestly never heard about it - I have no idea how it was never mentioned in any of my classes, but I don't ever recall hearing about it - and am just generally curious about any steps I should take in applying with them.

Check your messages.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 10:27 PM)
Reading was never my specialty. "Public" was the key word there. I wonder though, if an employer is skeptical of the candidate that chooses to make their Facebook unavailable to them or if it just puts more stock on the interview and judging your character there. To a certain extent it is an invasion of privacy and may be a misrepresentation of who you actually are. But I get why they Google and stalk you.

LOL. Not a chance.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 09:11 AM)
LOL. Not a chance.

Recruiters that have spoken to business organizations here at U of I have mentioned that there could be some concerns over people "hiding" their personal life, but most of the younger generation recruiters know this is commonplace now and dont worry about it. But to say that no recruiter would think twice about it would be silly, just because there are some stupid recruiters out there.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 03:28 PM)
Recruiters that have spoken to business organizations here at U of I have mentioned that there could be some concerns over people "hiding" their personal life, but most of the younger generation recruiters know this is commonplace now and dont worry about it. But to say that no recruiter would think twice about it would be silly, just because there are some stupid recruiters out there.

That's just absurd IMO.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 03:37 PM)
It almost seems like discrimination to me. This candidate won't provide enough information about their personal life, so I am disqualifying them.

Management that I work with would prefer that people keep their facebook private in order to protect the company.

EDIT: And when I'm hiring someone I prefer that their social media sites are private.

Edited by BigSqwert