Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 09:44 AM)
So this begs the question:

Ross, are you a really hot girl?

If Facebook weren't in the mix and I didn't meet Cubssuck1 and Quickman in real life, then I might lie and act like I am.

As I do not wear makeup, a bra, go spray tanning and look like the office slut, I am not. So no bartending job for me. ;)

Edited by MuckFinnesota

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 06:11 PM)
If Facebook weren't in the mix and I didn't meet Cubssuck1 and Quickman in real life, then I might lie and act like I am.

As I do not wear makeup, a bra, go spray tanning and look like the office slut, I am not. So no bartending job for me. ;)

Hehe, the proverbial office slut.

So I got a good response to my thank you, post interview letter. It basically ended with "I think you'll be hearing from me at the end of the week". Needless to say, I was feeling pretty good. This is a job that I really want and I truly feel it's a great career move, despite being all the way across the country.

Now to confuse things for me, the president of the company I'm currently at sent me an e-mail saying he wants to discuss a significant adjustment to my compensation this week. I don't really want to stay though. I travel 40+ weeks a year and I don't want to keep working in television.

I'm torn on how to handle it. I don't want to burn bridges or be disrespectful, nor do I want to hamper myself at my current job incase the new opportunity does not pan out.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 05:34 PM)
So I got a good response to my thank you, post interview letter. It basically ended with "I think you'll be hearing from me at the end of the week". Needless to say, I was feeling pretty good. This is a job that I really want and I truly feel it's a great career move, despite being all the way across the country.

Now to confuse things for me, the president of the company I'm currently at sent me an e-mail saying he wants to discuss a significant adjustment to my compensation this week. I don't really want to stay though. I travel 40+ weeks a year and I don't want to keep working in television.

I'm torn on how to handle it. I don't want to burn bridges or be disrespectful, nor do I want to hamper myself at my current job incase the new opportunity does not pan out.

What do you do in tv that you travel 40+ weeks a year?

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 04:34 PM)

Listen to what he has to say...and then take an evening or two just to think on it, just to be respectful. If you still think you don't need to stay, then tell him you considered the offer, but you just don't think it's the best move for your future. If you have to give him a decision before you hear from the other company, then just accept it and still take the other job if you need to.

There really isn't any other play, other than stalling for time somehow with your own company.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 04:47 PM)
What do you do in tv that you travel 40+ weeks a year?

BTW, Ross, do you even give a s*** about anything or anyone other than yourself?

Throughout this thread, you post these long, often pointless posts about your career and many of us try to give you some pointers because we are generally nice people. But I don't think you ever give a s*** about anyone else's situation other than your own, or if so, only insomuch as you can mine others for information on how to improve your own situation.

Well, let me pass along some unsolicited advice:

If you really don't give a s*** about anyone else other than yourself, or aren't at the very least, a LOT better at pretending you do than you currently are, you're not going to go anywhere far.

Edited by iamshack

Thanks shack. I responded to the president thanking him and asking him if we could meet when I get back from my trip this weekend since I should at least know for sure if I have an in-person interview. At the point, I think the best move is to be perfectly honest about the situation. Frankly it comes down to: I am tired of traveling and this opportunity that i have is more along the line of what I want to do with my career.

To answer the other question:

I work for a company that does the yellow first down line for various networks for football, race crawls for NASCAR and IndyCar, bugs, interfaces, etc.. With football season coming up I have worked/am scheduled for 41 events this year.

Edited by chimpy2121

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 06:17 PM)
BTW, Ross, do you even give a s*** about anything or anyone other than yourself?

Throughout this thread, you post these long, often pointless posts about your career and many of us try to give you some pointers because we are generally nice people. But I don't think you ever give a s*** about anyone else's situation other than your own, or if so, only insomuch as you can mine others for information on how to improve your own situation.

Well, let me pass along some unsolicited advice:

If you really don't give a s*** about anyone else other than yourself, or aren't at the very least, a LOT better at pretending you do than you currently are, you're not going to go anywhere far.

I appreciate everyone's advice when people do post responses to my rants or posts about my "career." For people whose situations I am familiar with, I can offer advice. Since I am young, I probably couldn't help the older generation unless I researched something.

The truth is that I do care about people and was curious about what he worked in. One of my great qualities that may not be displayed is that I empathize well with people and work with people my age to find solutions about their own paths. So while it may not be apparent here, I do care about other people and things. This just happens to be a thread I enjoy reading and commenting on when I get a spare minute.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 12:14 AM)
Listen to what he has to say...and then take an evening or two just to think on it, just to be respectful. If you still think you don't need to stay, then tell him you considered the offer, but you just don't think it's the best move for your future. If you have to give him a decision before you hear from the other company, then just accept it and still take the other job if you need to.

There really isn't any other play, other than stalling for time somehow with your own company.

Just to piggy back off this: if the compensation adjustment is positive, it's going to be hard to not let that sway you. We all strive to be good at our jobs and it's nice to be recognized. But give yourself some time to really think about what you really want, and if this new job offers it. If it doesn't you are now in a much better position since you are paid adequately. Basically, don't let other people wanting you, sway you from what you need from your career.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 09:19 PM)
Just to piggy back off this: if the compensation adjustment is positive, it's going to be hard to not let that sway you. We all strive to be good at our jobs and it's nice to be recognized. But give yourself some time to really think about what you really want, and if this new job offers it. If it doesn't you are now in a much better position since you are paid adequately. Basically, don't let other people wanting you, sway you from what you need from your career.

This is a good post, bmags. You have all the positives and choices - so really think out what way you want to go and that's a really, really good place to be in, chimpy.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 05:34 PM)

If/when you leave, send your company my resume! ;) But seriously, take your time making a decision. You'll ultimately know what you want to do.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 06:55 PM)
Slav, what kind of job are you looking for?

Ha, good question. At this point anything. I've applied for all of the following positions:

TV Production Assistant

TV Associate Producer

Radio Sports Director

Radio Play by Play (baseball, hockey)

Studio Host on TV and Radio

Media Relations

Communications

Sports Information

I'm apparently at a really s*** in between point where I'm overqualified for internships (and can't live off them) and underqualified for full-time jobs that I know I am capable of doing well.

Had to do an online questionnaire for a job I applied for. Did it online from home yesterday and longer than 15 minutes after I had finished, I got an email saying they are passing on me and are looking at other applicants. Really?

Had to do an online questionnaire for a job I applied for. Did it online from home yesterday and longer than 15 minutes after I had finished, I got an email saying they are passing on me and are looking at other applicants. Really?

I've had that happen a few times. There are specific answers they are looking for, and if you answer one of them wrong, an automated system rejects your application and nobody at the company ever sees it.