Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 04:04 PM)
I'm not sure if that will end up being good or bad for her in the end, but I do know that her email was awesome.

It's well written. I think there are worse writing samples...aside from the profanity.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 11:28 PM)
I feel like a dog with his tail between his legs. I might be asking t have my old job back. I cant even figure out in my own head why, but now that I've left, I see things from another perspective and I should never have left to begin with.

It's day 2. Relax you are still getting your bearings

Has anyone ever taken a paycut for a better shift? I pretty much have until 12:30 to answer. The paycut is about $55 on paycheck every two weeks, it's not a lot but it's not like a make bank...

Scenario: My current shift involves working 12 hour NIGHT shifts, 3 times a week but sometimes 6 times out of 7 nights. I would be moving on to four 10 hour days starting Sunday, ending Wednesday.

At night I work mostly by myself, no one to talk to, the shifts are easy (but extremely boring at the same time) because not much happens at night but I have to be there just in case, I kind of set up the work for the following day.

The new shift, I would be working with others, have a lot more work (I feel the days would go by faster and I would be doing more important things).

Bottom line a position opened up and its the only way I can escape working nights however it comes with a bit of a pay cut.

Edited by justBLAZE

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 12:04 PM)
Has anyone ever taken a paycut for a better shift? I pretty much have until 12:30 to answer. The paycut is about $55 on paycheck every two weeks, it's not a lot but it's not like a make bank...

Scenario: My current shift involves working 12 hour NIGHT shifts, 3 times a week but sometimes 6 times out of 7 nights. I would be moving on to four 10 hour days starting Sunday, ending Wednesday.

At night I work mostly by myself, no one to talk to, the shifts are easy (but extremely boring at the same time) because not much happens at night but I have to be there just in case, I kind of set up the work for the following day.

The new shift, I would be working with others, have a lot more work (I feel the days would go by faster and I would be doing more important things).

Bottom line a position opened up and its the only way I can escape working nights however it comes with a bit of a pay cut.

Would it be possible to move up more/get noticed more in this new position? Im assuming yes, and if that could lead to a better paycheck/job later than I think it'd be worth it.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 12:04 PM)

I can only speak from second-hand experience but I would think the change from working nights to working days would make up for it. My wife has worked nights for years and absolutely hates it.

So I'm waiting to hear about a job. I know they started checking my references on Monday. I just found out that one reference has been out camping and can't communicate until tomorrow. I had tried to give him a heads up but he was already gone and didn't leave an auto-reply. Because he didn't respond I called his secretary yesterday and found out he was out but would be back today. Today I called to check in again and found that he's not coming until tomorrow.

I updated the hiring manager but I'm a bit worried it cost me a job. Not a great job, but a job nevertheless.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 11:28 PM)
I feel like a dog with his tail between his legs. I might be asking t have my old job back. I cant even figure out in my own head why, but now that I've left, I see things from another perspective and I should never have left to begin with.

You should feel that way. Recognizing the challenges quickly is good even if intimidating. Also there's always a grace period where you can f*** up. Last, think of all the dumb and incompetent people you've ever worked with. It will be okay.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 12:06 PM)
Would it be possible to move up more/get noticed more in this new position? Im assuming yes, and if that could lead to a better paycheck/job later than I think it'd be worth it.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 01:15 PM)
I can only speak from second-hand experience but I would think the change from working nights to working days would make up for it. My wife has worked nights for years and absolutely hates it.

Thanks guys I took the offer.

Had my first real job(post college) interview a couple weeks back thought it went well. My friend said the person has been on vacation this week and I should do a follow up call tomorrow when he is back. I sent him an email a couple days after thanking him for the time etc., what exactly do you say in a phonecall?

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)
You should feel that way. Recognizing the challenges quickly is good even if intimidating. Also there's always a grace period where you can f*** up. Last, think of all the dumb and incompetent people you've ever worked with. It will be okay.

and if you can't think of any, that means it is you!

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 02:43 PM)
Had my first real job(post college) interview a couple weeks back thought it went well. My friend said the person has been on vacation this week and I should do a follow up call tomorrow when he is back. I sent him an email a couple days after thanking him for the time etc., what exactly do you say in a phonecall?

I've always been told to be very specific. Don't call and say "So........hey, what's up?" Be confident, let them know you are still interested in the position, and ask for a timetable of their decision.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 02:43 PM)

Be polite, confident, concise, and enthusiastic.

Just tell them youre excited for the job and you are just looking for a date that you should expect more information.

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 01:45 PM)
So I'm waiting to hear about a job. I know they started checking my references on Monday. I just found out that one reference has been out camping and can't communicate until tomorrow. I had tried to give him a heads up but he was already gone and didn't leave an auto-reply. Because he didn't respond I called his secretary yesterday and found out he was out but would be back today. Today I called to check in again and found that he's not coming until tomorrow.

I updated the hiring manager but I'm a bit worried it cost me a job. Not a great job, but a job nevertheless.

As predicted... Rejected. By phone call which is new.