Roy Halladay throws a no-hitter versus Cincy in Game 1 of the NLDS

knightni

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 07:58 PM)
This is still the 2nd one in postseason history. It's a big deal.

Preach.

I was stunned. That poster that said the Phils are sweepin so far looks like a genius if Oswalt and Hamels can give at least 1/4th of that performance comming up in this series.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 12:21 AM)
Note to JAKE PEAVY: Jake, that is what aces do. That is why aces are acquired. I hope you were taking notes.

Are you comparing Peavy to Halladay?

8 CG to 58 CG

102 W to 169 W

232 GS to 320 GS

zero 20 win seasons to three 20 win seasons

Sure the ERA, WHIP and Ks are similar, but these guys are totally different pitchers.

One is a horse who eats innings, the other is a guy that is lucky to pitch more than 6 innings a start.

Halladay is a superior pitcher, but I wouldn't suggest that Peavy is a mediocre pitcher by any stretch of the imagination. Peavy's injury was brutal to the Sox, but if he comes back and remains healthy next year, the Sox are going to be dangerous simply because of how much pitching they have.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 12:19 AM)
Halladay is a superior pitcher, but I wouldn't suggest that Peavy is a mediocre pitcher by any stretch of the imagination. Peavy's injury was brutal to the Sox, but if he comes back and remains healthy next year, the Sox are going to be dangerous simply because of how much pitching they have.

I think we learned from this past year that the on paper the staff may look great, but they are as streaky as they come.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 12:07 AM)
Are you comparing Peavy to Halladay?

Oh no not at all... I know better than that. I'm just saying that I'm sure when KW acquired Peavy, he got him to be the ace of the staff... the guy you want on the bump at the start of a playoff series and when you really need a win. That is why the phillies got Halladay, and he went out and performed like an ace should.

That's what I want out of JFP.

Edited by Chet Kincaid

Watched the replay on MLB Network. I was even more impressed the second time around. He threw first pitch strikes to 25 of the 28 batters he faced (79 strikes out of 104 pitches overall). Only 4 balls were hit out of the infield. He had all 5 pitches workin' for him. And keep in mind the Reds won the team triple crown (1st in BA, R, HR). One of the all-time greats performances in postseason history.