White Sox targeting Carl Crawford

macsandz

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 07:50 PM)
I'm sure they are targeting every LH bat on the market. If they are going after Crawford that means Konerko's ship has sailed.

Not necessarily.

There are other possible moves that will shave enough off the budget to make it work.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scenario @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 09:04 PM)
Not necessarily.

There are other possible moves that will shave enough off the budget to make it work.

I think we'd have to trade Danks, and as much as I'm a fan it isn't the worst thing in the world because you'd get a decent return for him.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 08:06 PM)
I think we'd have to trade Danks, and as much as I'm a fan it isn't the worst thing in the world because you'd get a decent return for him.

But that doesnt free up nearly enough money to sign Crawford. Its probably a third of what Crawford will make.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 09:10 PM)
But that doesnt free up nearly enough money to sign Crawford. Its probably a third of what Crawford will make.

It's one of a bunch of things they'd have to do, like I was saying above.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 09:16 PM)
Unless someone wants to take Peavy's entire contract off the Sox hands, then Crawford aint gonna happen.

I dunno...one of these years the Sox are going to decide to boost payroll. They've been sitting right around $95-$98 million for the past 5 years. They've dealt with declining attendance and the economic problems over that time, but league revenue sharing dollars have gone up, and the value of lots of ad contracts probably go up as well.

I could see a salary boost as being possible one of these years.

The problem is...even if they decide to boost the salary, they're just not outbidding the Yankees.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 08:20 PM)
I dunno...one of these years the Sox are going to decide to boost payroll. They've been sitting right around $95-$98 million for the past 5 years. They've dealt with declining attendance and the economic problems over that time, but league revenue sharing dollars have gone up, and the value of lots of ad contracts probably go up as well.

The problem is...even if they decide to boost the salary, they're just not outbidding the Yankees.

2008 - 121 mil if I recalled.

Realistically with our minor league system the way it is, payroll will have to increase if the Sox want to compete.

There's no way they get Crawford but Adam Dunn might be a nice consolation prize. I guess he is going to be type B so he wont even cost a first rounder.

QUOTE (daggins @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 09:28 PM)
2008 - 121 mil if I recalled.

Realistically with our minor league system the way it is, payroll will have to increase if the Sox want to compete.

There's no way they get Crawford but Adam Dunn might be a nice consolation prize. I guess he is going to be type B so he wont even cost a first rounder.

That was with teams like the Phillies still paying a large portion of the team's salary.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 08:20 PM)

I hear what you are saying, but I just dont see them adding a 7 year-$140 million contract or whatever with Peavy & Rios deals still on the books.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 09:37 PM)
I hear what you are saying, but I just dont see them adding a 7 year-$140 million contract or whatever with Peavy & Rios deals still on the books.

I could see them adding him at say, 5/$95. But they're simply not going to outbid the Yankees.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 06:08 PM)
LF-Pierre

SS-Ramirez

RF-Crawford

CF-Rios

1B-Daric Barton (acquired from OAK for Quentin + ?)

DH-Viciedo +

C-AJ

2B-Beckham

3B-Morel

With Carter coming up, I wouldn't be surprised if Beane does trade Barton.

Barton's a nice player, but you would like more power at 1B than what he provides.

Barton's a lot like Mark Grace actually.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 06:21 PM)
I don't think he would be a good clubhouse guy and no I have no evidence but even watching him tonight, his team losing and his behavior in the dugout...

He probably would be an upgrade over CQ in RF, but way too early for this, IMHO.

I don't believe the report that Crawford is the Sox' number one target anyway and I doubt that they will sign him. But regardless, I hope the Sox wouldn't pay the guy a ton of money and then plan to play him out of position. If the Sox sign Crawford he better be their starting Left Fielder.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 09:35 PM)
With Carter coming up, I wouldn't be surprised if Beane does trade Barton.

Barton's a nice player, but you would like more power at 1B than what he provides.

Barton's a lot like Mark Grace actually.

I'm a big Barton fan, but you're right he's not gonna slug what a typical 1B provides, although he'd probably hit 15+ hrs for the Sox. He gives you an .800 OPS which this team desperatley needs. From multiple players.

If the Sox did deal Quentin (+) for Barton, they'd need to find some thump for sure. Quentin was an .821 OPS last season.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 09:51 PM)
I don't believe the report that Crawford is the Sox' number one target anyway and I doubt that they will sign him. But regardless, I hope the Sox wouldn't pay the guy a ton of money and then plan to play him out of position. If the Sox sign Crawford he better be their starting Left Fielder.

Why would you not believe he's their #1 target? He should be.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 09:53 PM)
Why would you not believe he's their #1 target? He should be.

Sox need a RFer, Crawford plays LF. Unless the Sox are going to unload Pierre, I can't see them getting into a bidding war with the Yankees and others for Crawford with the intent of playing him out of position.

I don't believe the report because like someone else mentioned, the Sox would have to be very careful about revealing that their number one target is a guy who is currently still playing in the post season - that would be tampering. I wouldn't put too much stock in anything that is reported on WSCR anyway.

If anything, KW or someone on the Sox is feeding some sap on the SCORE some misinformation to keep under the radar on whom their real top target may be.

Personally, out of all the free agents out there I'd like to see them persue Jayson Werth.

The next time the Sox sign a big-time free agent will be the first since Albert Belle. Yeah, we are targeting him, meaning once we realize he wants $7 million more per year and four extra years, we will drop out of the bidding. Just another attempt for the Sox management to convince the fans they are going for it.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 10:26 PM)
The next time the Sox sign a big-time free agent will be the first since Albert Belle. Yeah, we are targeting him, meaning once we realize he wants $7 million more per year and four extra years, we will drop out of the bidding. Just another attempt for the Sox management to convince the fans they are going for it.

They acquired/traded for Alex Rios & Jake Peavy, both who had at least $40-50 million left on their deals. Don't act like the Sox have never spent money on players. They signed PK to a 5/$60 contract, MB signed for 4/$48.

Its kinda hard to sign big name free agents with the Yankees/Red Sox around, and I'd prefer they don't overpay them either just to make a move.

Even this season, they traded for EJax due $8.5 million next year and paid Manny $4 million for a month of nothing.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 10:40 PM)
Us: Carl, we offer you 5 years at $60 million.

Carl: No

Us: Oh well, we tried

Even if KW offered him what Toriiiii got he'd be laughed at.

Angels and Tigers have the most need (and $$$) but its hard to count the Yankees out of any top FA chase.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 11:03 PM)
Is Crawford really worth $20 mil a year?

Not at all. Personally, I think he's one of the more overrated "stars" in the game. And considering the Cell would eliminate some of the speed from his game, Dunn should be the Sox #1 target, imo.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 11:34 PM)
Not at all. Personally, I think he's one of the more overrated "stars" in the game. And considering the Cell would eliminate some of the speed from his game, Dunn should be the Sox #1 target, imo.

Crawford was a 6.8 WAR player this season. That is outstanding. (Konerko was a 4.2)

He's worth $20M per.