Twins Collapse with Home Field Adv.

stretchstretch

Hoping this isn't deleted, but after not visiting in a while, I'm surprised to see no threads following what's happening with MN, who after winning 94 games and finally getting home field against NYY in their brand new super stadium are on the verge of getting swept in convincing fashion.

throughout the last decade, the main issue with MN winning the division is seeing this story unfold again, something many here b*tch about during the course of the year as they make the annual late season charge to the title.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (stretchstretch @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 06:18 PM)
Hoping this isn't deleted, but after not visiting in a while, I'm surprised to see no threads following what's happening with MN, who after winning 94 games and finally getting home field against NYY in their brand new super stadium are on the verge of getting swept in convincing fashion.

throughout the last decade, the main issue with MN winning the division is seeing this story unfold again, something many here b*tch about during the course of the year as they make the annual late season charge to the title.

That's because you placed it in the wrong forum.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 08:10 PM)
Since 2003, the Twins are 2-14 in the postseason. How is that possible? I'll give you last year, they had no business being in the playoffs. But this year you would at least figure they would be able to make it a series.

It would be nice if we could actually win the division as many times as they have. We might have a couple of World Series rings by now. Not just one.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 08:10 PM)
Since 2003, the Twins are 2-14 in the postseason. How is that possible? I'll give you last year, they had no business being in the playoffs. But this year you would at least figure they would be able to make it a series.

3-18 in their last 21 playoff games. I know the MLB playoffs can be a crapshoot, but those numbers are a bit ridiculous, you would think they would win at least a third of them or so, just by the simple law of baseball averages.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 08:22 PM)
Peter Gammon's did. Twins can't overcome the Yankees. Nothing new in that.

Buster Olney also got a boner when the word "Twins" was mentioned.

He ranked their offense over the Yankees' at the start of the year...lol

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 07:24 PM)
Buster Olney also got a boner when the word "Twins" was mentioned.

He ranked their offense over the Yankees' at the start of the year...lol

I guess there's some things that get exploited more in the post season. They really don't have an ace and Thome is their long ball threat.

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 07:34 PM)
They are so good and clutch and come up lucky on flukes plays all season long and just straight up FALL APART in the post season...how ridiculous haha

That's because teams like the Yankees don't make a lot of mistakes for the Twins to capitalize on.

It truly is bizarre that they can dominate during the regular season and then collapse in the post.

They're like the Buffalo Bills of baseball playoffs--no wait, the Minnesota Vikings.

Also: seems like the Yanks are in their heads in the post like they are in ours during the regular season.

Edited by LVSoxFan

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 07:39 PM)
Maybe now people will stop blowing the Twins so much on the site. They're only "AL Central good"...

They were the best team in baseball since the ASB. When teams get hot they also cool off. So their timing could be off plus they are few missing pieces away from a World Series.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 09:51 PM)
They were the best team in baseball since the ASB. When teams get hot they also cool off. So their timing could be off plus they are few missing pieces away from a World Series.

Really though...that team on paper is good enough to win a world series, even without Nathan and Morneau. Their lineup is stacked, they've got a few defensive weaknesses but they balance that with some strong guys, and their rotation both has a legitimate Ace-caliber pitcher at the top and a whole lot of depth. They're not "a few missing pieces" away. They're a mental block away. Maybe they need to come back from a 3-0 deficit in a series to get the block out of their head.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 8, 2010 -> 01:33 AM)
I guess there's some things that get exploited more in the post season. They really don't have an ace and Thome is their long ball threat.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 8, 2010 -> 01:51 AM)

It's amazing they were hot the whole second half, the entire way, until they clinched. Then they finally sucked and the Sox went 9-2 down the stretch to finish only six back.

I know that has nothing to do with their current faceplant, but why the f*** couldn't Minnesota have their cooling off period at some other point the second half. Unless a miracle happens, Minnesota is toast. I guess their fans can blame the loss of Morneau but they've been w/out him a long time.