Twins Collapse with Home Field Adv.

stretchstretch

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 10:40 PM)
It's amazing they were hot the whole second half, the entire way, until they clinched. Then they finally sucked and the Sox went 9-2 down the stretch to finish only six back.

I know that has nothing to do with their current faceplant, but why the f*** couldn't Minnesota have their cooling off period at some other point the second half. Unless a miracle happens, Minnesota is toast. I guess their fans can blame the loss of Morneau but they've been w/out him a long time.

Remember that the Sox went 8-2 in their last ten and MN went 2-8. I think their streak just continued into the post season. You're right that it's very frustrating...if only they had slumped about 2 or 3 weeks earlier. The sad thing is that if the Sox had won the central, they might be the ones down 0-2 to the Yankees.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 8, 2010 -> 10:06 AM)
Why do people do this? Do you actually think the Sox show accountability? Just baiting?

It was partly a weak attempt at humor, but they can be comparable situations. The Sox keep getting beat by the same team in their division, while every one in charge keeps their jobs. The Twins are repeatedly unable to win a single game in the postseason, yet there is not talk about Gardy being on the hot seat. At some point, you have to look at him and say, yeah the division titles are great, but the ass-kickings in the playoffs have to stop.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 8, 2010 -> 10:51 AM)
It was partly a weak attempt at humor, but they can be comparable situations. The Sox keep getting beat by the same team in their division, while every one in charge keeps their jobs. The Twins are repeatedly unable to win a single game in the postseason, yet there is not talk about Gardy being on the hot seat. At some point, you have to look at him and say, yeah the division titles are great, but the ass-kickings in the playoffs have to stop.

To be fair, there's never any talk of Ozzie being on the hot seat either. It's always just fan speculation (for both teams, I'd imagine). I also wouldn't be surprised to see Gardenhire let go this year or in the next few years if this keeps up. You are right that there needs to a point where enough is enough.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 10:40 PM)
I guess their fans can blame the loss of Morneau but they've been w/out him a long time.

This is what I said at the start of the series. Yankees win it easy, and Minnesota will be able to use the Morneau excuse.

This series just puts the emphasis on how terrible the AL Central really is. :(

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 8, 2010 -> 10:57 AM)
To be fair, there's never any talk of Ozzie being on the hot seat either. It's always just fan speculation (for both teams, I'd imagine). I also wouldn't be surprised to see Gardenhire let go this year or in the next few years if this keeps up. You are right that there needs to a point where enough is enough.

With regard to Ozzie, I don't think he's ever been on the hot seat. It was a matter of whether he wanted to stay or not. Williams said to the media that his job was there if he wanted it, but that he could leave too, and they would just hire someone else.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 8, 2010 -> 10:06 AM)
Why do people do this? Do you actually think the Sox show accountability? Just baiting?

Honestly I don't see it as being any different as when the same people repeat that over and over and over about whoever they hate in the Sox organization.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Oct 8, 2010 -> 10:23 AM)
RIGHT!!! I was thinking the same thing. I can't believe twins fans are complaining like that.

I can. A fan base gets spoiled after winning nothing but divisions. I've read things like "it's time for Tom Brady to go", "fire Bill Polian".

The mighty always fall in the home town. I doubt Bobby Cox, Tony La Russa, are as well liked in Atlanta and St. Louis.

Fans always see that someone on the outside is a lot better than the inside.

On the other hand winning it all buys you a lot of grace.

There is no killer instinct in them and there is no player on that squad to push them.

The Twins losing to them is all a mental mind game. The Twins fear the Yankees, no matter who's wearing the uniform

Sounds familiar.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 8, 2010 -> 11:38 AM)
With regard to Ozzie, I don't think he's ever been on the hot seat. It was a matter of whether he wanted to stay or not. Williams said to the media that his job was there if he wanted it, but that he could leave too, and they would just hire someone else.

Which is what I said.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 8, 2010 -> 11:38 AM)
Honestly I don't see it as being any different as when the same people repeat that over and over and over about whoever they hate in the Sox organization.

There's a difference in bringing it up in threads discussing the topic or even in PHT, and bringing it up in the Diamond Club. One's part of a discussion, the other is an attempt at baiting. I now know that he was joking, though.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 8, 2010 -> 12:38 PM)
With regard to Ozzie, I don't think he's ever been on the hot seat.

I feel like Ozzie put himself on the hot seat this year...he's only back by a narrow margin and the approval of the owner this year...and I think he's on notice next year. I can actually offer evidence for that, in the sense that he doesn't have a new contract despite agitating for one.

I guess it's all just emotional, fan-drivel. I actually got it in my head for a while that one of KW or OG had to go and I hated that. I'm embarrassed I let all this fan speculation actually hold weight in my mind for a bit. I can't believe I was immature enough to think Oz or KW had to go. Now I know why it was so hard to pick a side; it was a total BS thought from the beginning. For sure. I ask the front office for forgiveness for even reading such lunacy.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 9, 2010 -> 11:55 PM)
Twins are the laughingstock of baseball tonight. They just are.

Many people look at it as the small market team vs. the best team money can buy.

Interesting reactions to the Star Tribune article about Gardy got an extension.

I should go over there and impersonate a Twins fan and say "maybe we can get Ozzie Guillen for 2012, he's won a World Series".

http://espn.go.com/new-york/columns/story?...&id=5656406

Since Ron Gardenhire took over as manager in 2002, the Twins are 16-45 (.262) against the Yankees during the regular season, which Elias says is the worst record any team has against an opponent during that span. The record is even worse when you include Minnesota's 2-10 postseason mark against the Yankees: 18-55 (.246). That's a worse winning percentage than the 1962 Mets had. The Twins so resemble the Washington Generals to the Yankees' Harlem Globetrotters that I keep expecting to see Derek Jeter pull down Joe Mauer's pants and toss a bucket of confetti into the Minnesota dugout.

Edited by caulfield12

I guess it's all just emotional, fan-drivel. I actually got it in my head for a while that one of KW or OG had to go and I hated that. I'm embarrassed I let all this fan speculation actually hold weight in my mind for a bit. I can't believe I was immature enough to think Oz or KW had to go. Now I know why it was so hard to pick a side; it was a total BS thought from the beginning. For sure. I ask the front office for forgiveness for even reading such lunacy.

This is like easily the post of the century.

For the time being there are only 2 ways to win the AL pennant:

The first way is to spend like the Yankees and Red Sox, on both the Major league and Minor League levels.

The second way is to go into the s***ter for a 5 year period, and emerge with the amount of talent that the Rays have built over the last 5-7 years.

Another note: When you spend or draft, at the end of the process, you must possess 2 pitchers with #1 stuff, one of which pitches like a #1, and the other of which pitches like a #2 or #3.

The period between 2004-2008 was special because the Yankees made some really bad contract choices. When the marquee free agents returned to the market it was back to this way. As long as the Yankees have a $200 MM payroll and spend it wisely, these are the only ways to compete with them. It does not matter what you do, The Yankees will always win unless you have somewhere close to the amount of talent that they do.

This is why, IMO there should be a cap of a $150 MM payroll in baseball.

Unfortunately, there is a more level playing field in the NL.

Edited by Elgin Slim

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Oct 10, 2010 -> 08:39 PM)

The first way is to spend like the Yankees and Red Sox, on both the Major league and Minor League levels.

The second way is to go into the s***ter for a 5 year period, and emerge with the amount of talent that the Rays have built over the last 5-7 years.

Another note: When you spend or draft, at the end of the process, you must possess 2 pitchers with #1 stuff, one of which pitches like a #1, and the other of which pitches like a #2 or #3.

The period between 2004-2008 was special because the Yankees made some really bad contract choices. When the marquee free agents returned to the market it was back to this way. As long as the Yankees have a $200 MM payroll and spend it wisely, these are the only ways to compete with them. It does not matter what you do, The Yankees will always win unless you have somewhere close to the amount of talent that they do.

I would love a $150 MM cap. It makes so much sense it's rediculous. I hate the Yankees, they should have no pride in winning a WS with a higher payroll than an NL All-Star team.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 08:23 PM)
3-18 in their last 21 playoff games. I know the MLB playoffs can be a crapshoot, but those numbers are a bit ridiculous, you would think they would win at least a third of them or so, just by the simple law of baseball averages.

Easy-they didnt play us any of those games (2008 playoff game against us was technically regular season, they lost that too)

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Oct 10, 2010 -> 08:39 PM)

This is so true its ridiculous