Twins Collapse with Home Field Adv.

stretchstretch

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 12, 2010 -> 03:38 PM)
Pretty much. Part of it is the undeniable fact we have a fickle, front-running fanbase. But the opportunity was there to blow right by the Cubs in terms of popularity, ect, and we've failed miserably.

Factor in the lackluster performance of the Cubs now, and if the Sox had consistently gotten to the playoffs since they would be making a very strong push to be the ones running this town in baseball. The mirage that is Cubs baseball is fading in terms of popularity for the casual fan.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 12, 2010 -> 03:42 PM)
Factor in the lackluster performance of the Cubs now, and if the Sox had consistently gotten to the playoffs since they would be making a very strong push to be the ones running this town in baseball. The mirage that is Cubs baseball is fading in terms of popularity for the casual fan.

I know about 20 former Cubs fans that said, "f*** it, I'm done" after the '08 playoff debacle. I honestly thought they we're going to win it all that year. The whole 'Lovable Loser' thing is played out. They're just losers now.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 12, 2010 -> 03:46 PM)
I know about 20 former Cubs fans that said, "f*** it, I'm done" after the '08 playoff debacle. I honestly thought they we're going to win it all that year. The whole 'Lovable Loser' thing is played out. They're just losers now.

The way that franchise is run it was only a matter of time before fans jumped off that bandwagon. Folks who dont really follow baseball may still say they are "Cubs" fans, but they won't spend the money anymroe to catch an occasional game.

They will still get a ridiculous amount of fans to each game because of tourism. Like it or not, Wrigley Field and Wrigleyville is a huge tourist draw and will continue to be no matter how crappy that team is. Even out of town Sox fans go out of there way to visit that s*** hole when they visit Chicago.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 12, 2010 -> 04:41 PM)
They will still get a ridiculous amount of fans to each game because of tourism. Like it or not, Wrigley Field and Wrigleyville is a huge tourist draw and will continue to be no matter how crappy that team is. Even out of town Sox fans go out of there way to visit that s*** hole when they visit Chicago.

All things being equal I agree (i.e. neither team being relevant). But winning > tourist attractions. If we had been able to capitalize off of 2005 with an extended run then I 100% believe we could've converted a big chunk of that retarded fanbase to our side..

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 12, 2010 -> 03:38 PM)
Pretty much. Part of it is the undeniable fact we have a fickle, front-running fanbase. But the opportunity was there to blow right by the Cubs in terms of popularity, ect, and we've failed miserably.

There is zero chance of that actually happening in a short period of time. That is something that happens over a generation or more.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 12, 2010 -> 04:41 PM)

I haven't been to Chicago since 1989 and when I do go back to visit one day with my boy, I have absolutly no desire to go to Wrigley, I just don't get that Cubs/Wrigley Field lore.

I've only been to Wrigley twice in my life, once when me and my best friend (a Cubs fan) played hooky in HS and caught a Mets/Dwight Gooden game (he was very insistant) and the other time with my dad to catch a Dodgers/Fernando Valenzuela game...and in keeping up with true Chicago Cubs form, they lost both those games, lol.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 12, 2010 -> 03:46 PM)

The Cubs during the 80s had likeable players and Harry Caray + Stoney. Ryno, Dawson, etc. If I had to follow Soriano every day. LOL.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 13, 2010 -> 09:18 AM)
There is zero chance of that actually happening in a short period of time. That is something that happens over a generation or more.

If we had gone into the playoffs again in 2006 instead of tanking, not completely blown 2007, made the playoffs again in 2008 like we did, and not went below .500 again in 2009, all while the Cubs were setting new benchmarks for ineptitude, that's a lot of momentum that could've been built. The team's just kind of squashed it and gone back to normal, with those of us that were there before.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Oct 23, 2010 -> 04:54 PM)
I haven't been to Chicago since 1989 and when I do go back to visit one day with my boy, I have absolutly no desire to go to Wrigley, I just don't get that Cubs/Wrigley Field lore.

I've only been to Wrigley twice in my life, once when me and my best friend (a Cubs fan) played hooky in HS and caught a Mets/Dwight Gooden game (he was very insistant) and the other time with my dad to catch a Dodgers/Fernando Valenzuela game...and in keeping up with true Chicago Cubs form, they lost both those games, lol.

You might not get that lore, but 99% of the people that visit Chicago do, and Wrigley Field is #1 on their list of things to do. Even during the offseason, there are people walking around the park starstruck that take pictures of them with the sign in the background. Combine that with the popularity of the neighborhood, there is not much you can do. I know several "real" Cubs fans that wont go to games, but as long as the tourist aspect of it is around, it does not matter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 13, 2010 -> 08:18 AM)

That is starting to happen because the sox, have been targeting the kids. The kids can run the bases, get autographs and the fundamentals deck. I live and work in the north subs and mostly every kid, is a Sox fan.

QUOTE (That funky motion @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 02:16 PM)
That is starting to happen because the sox, have been targeting the kids. The kids can run the bases, get autographs and the fundamentals deck. I live and work in the north subs and mostly every kid, is a Sox fan.

The Sox have street cred, the Cubs are for gay yuppies.