2010 NLCS: Giants vs. Phillies

Brian

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 23, 2010 -> 10:46 PM)
I have a feeling this might have been the last time the Phillies have a super legit chance at winning it all.

They'll still be a playoff team next year, but they probably won't get Werth back. That rotation of theirs is still really good, but this is not a young team and I think we might see some regressions from a lot of their position players (Rollins, Ibanez, Polanco, maybe even Utley).

You're saying they will be a playoff team next year. They have Halladay, Oswalt and Hamels, and even with those 3 and the offense they have, they won't have a legit chance at winning it all? LMAO.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 02:53 AM)
lol. Did you read his post? He did say they were probably still a playoff team. Being the favorite doesn't really mean much, as they were the overwhelming favorite this year.

They will be a playoff team with no real legit chance of winning it all? With those 3 in the rotation? I know some don't believe any playoff team can win, but I would image Texas and SF were 2 teams that if they lost in round one, there would have been a few posts saying "they made the playoffs, but they had no legit chance of winning." Its all BS. Every team in the playoffs has a legit chance, and if you have Halladay, Oswalt and Hamels and are in the playoffs, unless I'm batting clean up for them, to say that team has no legit chance is someone just trying to sound smart because only one team wins and odds are against every team.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 23, 2010 -> 10:44 PM)
Another thing? Did this game start before 7? It's a damn shame a 3-2 game lasted this f***ing long. These playoffs games are honestly starting to bore the f*** outta me.

I watched the first inning, put on the Godfather, and still caught the final three AB's. Ridiculous.

I don't know how anyone can say this World Series is "garbage" without one pitch being thrown yet.

Seriously? It's baseball. They won the games fair and square to get there. To write it off before it even starts is exactly what the ESPNs of the world are training people to think---if the Yankees or Red Sox, or other east coast powers don't get there, it's not good enough. Well, f*** them.

Enjoy the games no matter who is playing, and maybe they'll be great games. Maybe they'll be boring. Who knows? But to write off this series before it even starts...I really feel sorry for those people, because they don't remember a time when people weren't obsessed with a few teams and what a network's ratings are.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 02:53 AM)
lol. Did you read his post? He did say they were probably still a playoff team. Being the favorite doesn't really mean much, as they were the overwhelming favorite this year.

He said they won't have a super legit chance to win it all again. I get that the playoffs are a crapshoot. But just getting there is half the battle and with those 3 starters, they definitely have a chance to win it again. Will it happen? Who knows. But to act like their window is closed is kinda crazy.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 12:12 PM)
I could care less about the ratings. Im watching, it is a team that hasnt been there since 02 vs a team that has never been there

I said this in another thread and I'll repeat it here.

No one should give a flying f*** about world series postseason ratings. Not baseball fans, not even Fox employees.

Basketball and the NFL get much larger slices of their revenue from national TV deals. They have fewer games and in the case of the NBA smaller arenas.

Baseball makes its money on local broadcasts and ticket sales over a 162 game season. It's nice to have the Yankees or Red Sox make the W.S. every now and then to keep their revenues up for revenue sharing purposes, but every time you get a team to the series that hasn't been there in a while, it's a revenue boost. Texas next year is going to be in vastly better shape. They'll have sold their season ticket packages already, they'll have all sorts of revenue methods by putting their name out locally more, and their bounce from this will last for years.

Baseball is much, much better with "low rated" world series than they would be with a high rated one every year, because if the Yankees win the AL 5-6 years in a row right now, all the other teams will start languishing.

I really dig this World Series matchup. It's nice to have someone other then then Phillies and the Yankees dueling it out for anothe year. I can at least find something to root for in the San Francisco-Texas Matchup. Also, anyone who says they're not excited to see Tim Lincecum face Josh Hamiltion is either lying or is impossible to please.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 01:54 PM)
I really dig this World Series matchup. It's nice to have someone other then then Phillies and the Yankees dueling it out for anothe year. I can at least find something to root for in the San Francisco-Texas Matchup. Also, anyone who says they're not excited to see Tim Lincecum face Josh Hamiltion is either lying or is impossible to please.

I'm not sure that Lincecum is exciting me right now. He didnt' get lit up by the Phillies, but we didn't see the sort of 14 strikeout, legendary stuff performance against the Phils that we saw against the Braves.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 01:03 PM)
I'm not sure that Lincecum is exciting me right now. He didnt' get lit up by the Phillies, but we didn't see the sort of 14 strikeout, legendary stuff performance against the Phils that we saw against the Braves.

To be fair, the Phillies offense is a little better than the Braves too.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 07:14 AM)
You're saying they will be a playoff team next year. They have Halladay, Oswalt and Hamels, and even with those 3 and the offense they have, they won't have a legit chance at winning it all? LMAO.

They had them this year and look what happened...

Their offense sucked this postseason and it's not going to get much better since they have some aging players and Werth will probably be gone.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 12:08 PM)
He said they won't have a super legit chance to win it all again. I get that the playoffs are a crapshoot. But just getting there is half the battle and with those 3 starters, they definitely have a chance to win it again. Will it happen? Who knows. But to act like their window is closed is kinda crazy.

Nobody said it was closed. I was saying it was starting to close.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 03:04 PM)
They had them this year and look what happened...

Their offense sucked this postseason and it's not going to get much better since they have some aging players and Werth will probably be gone.

OTOH...they have Dominic Brown ready to step in for Werth, and that's going to at least add another dimension to their offense. Utley had an un-utleyian season, Howard had a down season, and Rollins was hurt most of the year. There's plenty of room for bounce-back on those guys, Howard, Utley, and Rollins are 30 and 31, not in their late 30's.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 01:55 PM)
Hence why I feel like I haven't seen Lincecum step it up against top competition yet this year.

7 IP 4 H 2 ER (3 R) 1 BB 7 K in his last start against Philly...it's not his fault that Aubrey Huff can't field.

7 IP 6 H 3 ER 3 BB 8 K in his first start against Philly

Maybe he didn't step up and completely shut them down, but those are still pretty damn good starts against a pretty damn good offense.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 02:06 PM)
Ratings have gone down every year for a while now.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/ws/wstv.shtml

I don't have the exact numbers, but last Monday showed what matters ratings-wise. The ALCS game between the Rangers & Yankees got around a 6.5 rating, while the Jaguars/Titans football game got a 7.2. If a game with the Yankees & a Dallas team, can't beat the Nashville/Jacksonville markets, you know that baseball is not gonna get the ratings anyway.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 02:05 PM)
Nobody said it was closed. I was saying it was starting to close.

You said they would never have a legit chance to win it all again, yet their offense will still be better than the Giants this year, even if they lose Werth. Anything can happen in the playoffs obviously, but I would put up Halladay/Oswalt/Hamels against any other team in the league. It doesnt always work out, but their chances are still decent next year.