Votto may be available...Seriously.

Jerksticks

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/10/12/10/Reds...amp;feedID=3717

Fox Sports Ohio is suggesting the Reds might be in some kind of financial pickle with Votto heading to arbitration for the first time. I don't see it being an issue at all for them considering he's the MVP favorite. But for our sake we can hypothesize. They need to upgrade their SP, and with Harang likely going, they will have some cash and an open SP spot. Instead of spending money solely to lock up Votto, perhaps they'd like to spend that cash on Danks and Quentin. They upgrade their one deficient outfield spot and the other dominant starter they sorely needed this postseason. If you are the Reds GM, does this make them better? I think so. DH Tank?

I like it if only because it shakes us up a bit in the middle. I love Paulie but maybe we need a new look.

Makes us awesome...then we just go sign Cliff Lee for 2 expensive years, lose our pick and call it an offseason. :D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You just made the playoffs for the first time in 15 years, and just your 2nd winning record since then. Your team is full of young talented players who are showing their potential. Do you really think trading your 26-year old MVP is the right move to make, not only for your team or for your fans?? Come on. That article discusses whether or not sign him to a long-term deal now or later, not whether or not to trade him.

/thread

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 13, 2010 -> 01:25 PM)

Fox Sports Ohio is suggesting the Reds might be in some kind of financial pickle with Votto heading to arbitration for the first time. I don't see it being an issue at all for them considering he's the MVP favorite. But for our sake we can hypothesize. They need to upgrade their SP, and with Harang likely going, they will have some cash and an open SP spot. Instead of spending money solely to lock up Votto, perhaps they'd like to spend that cash on Danks and Quentin. They upgrade their one deficient outfield spot and the other dominant starter they sorely needed this postseason. If you are the Reds GM, does this make them better? I think so. DH Tank?

I like it if only because it shakes us up a bit in the middle. I love Paulie but maybe we need a new look.

Makes us awesome...then we just go sign Cliff Lee for 2 expensive years, lose our pick and call it an offseason. :D

persistent-fail.jpg

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 13, 2010 -> 01:38 PM)
You just made the playoffs for the first time in 15 years, and just your 2nd winning record since then. Your team is full of young talented players who are showing their potential. Do you really think trading your 26-year old MVP is the right move to make, not only for your team or for your fans?? Come on. That article discusses whether or not sign him to a long-term deal now or later, not whether or not to trade him.

/thread

Duh to the bold....obviously.

I think people undervalue Danks and Quentin. Those two as a package can fetch us darn near anything, IMO. Or maybe I overvalue them- just don't think so.

Oh no the thread's gonna fail. My pride...shattered. GMAFB

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 13, 2010 -> 02:48 PM)
What if Cliff Lee beats the s*** outa the Yankees this week? Twice. Still?

That would be even more of a reason for the Yankees to sign him. Attempting to trade for him in the summer may have had as much to do with keeping him from potential playoff opponents, as much as it had to do with fortifying their rotation.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 13, 2010 -> 04:10 PM)
Jocketty isn't stupid enough to trade a young stud player who is the MVP for an injury prone DH/OF and a #2 or #3 starter. Any deal for Votto would start with Beckham.

I'd probably do Votto for Beckham. If Alonso is any good that's a deal that actually makes sense for the Reds by filling their SS hole.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 13, 2010 -> 02:46 PM)
Duh to the bold....obviously.

I think people undervalue Danks and Quentin. Those two as a package can fetch us darn near anything, IMO. Or maybe I overvalue them- just don't think so.

Oh no the thread's gonna fail. My pride...shattered. GMAFB

Yes, you overvalue them. Carlos is an injury prone, all or nothing player who's been replacement level for the last two years. John Danks is good but he's not a stud. He's a tier below left-handed pitchers like Liriano, Price, Kershaw, Lester and Hamels. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade Danks for anything less than a unquestionably sick haul. But Votto? lol.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 13, 2010 -> 03:42 PM)
I'd probably do Votto for Beckham. If Alonso is any good that's a deal that actually makes sense for the Reds by filling their SS hole.

I would pay for Beckham's ticket to Cincy if that was possible.

Exactly. People are forgetting about the log-jam at 1B they have. I don't think Votto is as untradeable as ya'll are making him out to be. They need pitching.

Despite all of Quentin's issues this year he did put up 26/87/.342. That .342 is pretty remarkable to me considering the season he had. Replacement level my ass. He's got horseloads of value based on results AND potential still.

Ok, so say the Reds wanted to cash in on Votto's year, you think they'd rather want unproven Beckham over Danks/Quentin? They would want somebody to mash in Votto's place; that ain't Beckham.

The Reds have to trade somebody to get pitching. Alonso doesn't get you near top flight pitching. Votto gets you anything. So does Danks/Quentin I feel.

This won't happen, I realize this, but this is the type of player we should be targeting with a Danks-based package.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 13, 2010 -> 04:47 PM)
Exactly. People are forgetting about the log-jam at 1B they have. I don't think Votto is as untradeable as ya'll are making him out to be. They need pitching.

Despite all of Quentin's issues this year he did put up 26/87/.342. That .342 is pretty remarkable to me considering the season he had. Replacement level my ass. He's got horseloads of value based on results AND potential still.

Ok, so say the Reds wanted to cash in on Votto's year, you think they'd rather want unproven Beckham over Danks/Quentin? They would want somebody to mash in Votto's place; that ain't Beckham.

The Reds have to trade somebody to get pitching. Alonso doesn't get you near top flight pitching. Votto gets you anything. So does Danks/Quentin I feel.

This won't happen, I realize this, but this is the type of player we should be targeting with a Danks-based package.

Why are the Reds all of a sudden in need of pitching? Did Cueto, Volquez, Chapman, Wood and Leake all die yesterday? And CQ is exactly replacement level. Results? You don't even need stats/metrics to see he's been BAD for two years. And in the NL where DHing isn't even an option? Yikes.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 13, 2010 -> 02:42 PM)

I think everyone would do that deal, but I think it would START with Beckham. I'm talking Beckham + someone. Basically, Votto isn't going anywhere, at least not to the SouthSide.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 13, 2010 -> 05:04 PM)
I think everyone would do that deal, but I think it would START with Beckham. I'm talking Beckham + someone. Basically, Votto isn't going anywhere, at least not to the SouthSide.

Beckham + a lot. We'd get outbid if Votto was on the market.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Oct 13, 2010 -> 05:09 PM)
Beckham + a lot. We'd get outbid if Votto was on the market.

I agree. Beckham is too much of a mystery for them to give up Votto. I still think Danks and a nice piece gets him. I suggested Quentin might be interesting to them because they don't have much next to Stubbs n Bruce. Quentin would be a huge upgrade over Nix's brother and Johnny Gomes. They'd be getting over 20 mil off the books with Harang and Votto going. Adding whatever Danks Quentin are going to get, I dunno 16 mil total or something? Stubbs n Bruce are cheap and that oufield might hit 90 HRs. If Alonso is good, how are the Reds losing here?

I just think with Alonso behind Votto they might actually listen to offers if it helps their pitching.

He's one of the worst right fielders in baseball. That makes him replacement value.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 13, 2010 -> 06:25 PM)
He's one of the worst right fielders in baseball. That makes him replacement value.

It doesn't matter. People want Dunn's horrible defense and high strikeout totals at one of the more important positions. Manny played left field forever. I'm not arguing that Carlos is HOF worthy but a guy who can hit 40 HRs and drive in 100 can find a place to play. Carlos has the potential to do that every year, you can't argue that. Whether he can do that or not is the gamble that GMs might want to take, defense aside. There are plenty of butchers at plenty of positions on every team. It's part of the game.

We harp on AJs horrible defense but yet he's had a job here for 6 years because of "intangibles". Carlos has tangibles.

We trotted Carlos Lee out there for years. Isn't Ryan Braun a butcher? Ethier...butcher.

No, they really won't :lolhitting

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 13, 2010 -> 01:25 PM)

So you're saying they can't afford one arb guy, maybe the Sox can trade them 2 arb guys for his services? The Reds aren't trading Votto this year. Maybe down the road, but that would be franchise killing dealing him to save money.

Edited by Dick Allen