Mike Quade Named Cubs Manager

chetkincaid

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 01:17 PM)
Why would the Padres want Marmol? They have Heath Bell as their closer, and Marmol is only 1 year behind the Bell Curve in terms of getting to FA.

They'd want bats first.

Cause he is 5 years younger than Bell, two years away from FA as opposed to one, and he made less money in 2010, so his arb figure may be lower in 2011. Then they could trade Bell for more young players. That being said, in a trade for AGon, I agree they ask for bats, not for a closer, but I could see why they would want Marmol instead of Bell.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 10:12 PM)
I'll assume Cubs. PK over Frank? No.

He's not only been my favorite Sox player, but I would also say he's one of the 3 most important in Sox history as well. I'd hate to see him go to the Cubs, but I highly doubt he does that.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 03:14 PM)
He's not only been my favorite Sox player, but I would also say he's one of the 3 most important in Sox history as well. I'd hate to see him go to the Cubs, but I highly doubt he does that.

PK 14 as a Cub, D Lee as a Sox. That would be weird, wouldn't it?

The Cubs are trimming payroll not adding to it, and they already have 100+ committed for next season. The Trib reported that they are going after Cliff Lee as well which is total bulls***. The Cubs cannot afford free agent splashes and their current roster isnt good enough to compete moving forward. Unless they move Soriano, Fukudome, Zambrano or Ramirez, they will be mired in 2nd-4th place in their division for the next several seasons.

Any story/rumor involving the Cubs adding any noteable amount of payroll (aka any story about a big free agent splash or trade) should be ignored. They do not have the money to do it right now. The media loves their Cubbies so they're going to get the hopes of the sheep up with some wild rumors, but none of it will actually go down.