2010 World Series: Rangers vs. Giants

Brian

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 03:44 AM)
How do the radical NL haters on here who act like any performance in the NL (Richard, Hudson) doesn't mean squat because it's the NL, explain the Giants rouging up Lee tonight?

I grow tired of the NL is s*** argument.

NL 1, AL 0. And yes I still think Texas wins it in 6.

You do realize that it's just one game right?

Did you forget that Lee raped the NL last year?

Why do you incessantly call people out? One game doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot. Personally, I am more persuaded by the AL's 134-118 record this year in Interleague, or the 138-114 last year, or the 149-103 in 2008, or the 137-115 in 2007. They might be closing the gap, but they are still not as good as the AL. That's 558-450 over a 4 year period, or a .554 winning percentage, or an 89 win pace. The NL is still the AL's biotch.

I don't incessantly mean to call people out. I just tire of dismissing players' performance when they go to the NL.

San Francisco had a great offensive attack last night. Hard hit base hits as well as Uribe's bomb. The Giants abused Cliff Lee.

I don't know how many times I had to read about the Sox win streak only coming against NL teams.

Hudson's effort immediately dismissed cause he was in the NL.

I heard Grobstein jump all over a guy on his show for dismissing the NL and since then I've paid more attention to it and I wish that argument frankly would go away forever, that's all.

Giants may win the WS.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 03:15 PM)
I heard Grobstein jump all over a guy on his show for dismissing the NL and since then I've paid more attention to it and I wish that argument frankly would go away forever, that's all.

Giants may win the WS.

Like it or not, that is not an argument that is going to go away. Even if the leagues were 100% balanced in talent, there are still significant differences between the AL and NL. On average, if you take a pitcher from the AL and move him to the NL, his ERA drops somewhere between 0.5 and 1.0 runs, entirely because of the fact that he's in the NL. Some guys buck this trend, but there's enough player movement that the average is meaningful. That's what comes from not having to face a DH and getting the free out that is the pitcher's spot every 9th hitter.

And while you're at it...a team winning the WS out of the NL doesn't mean a thing. In football, the AFC was thought to be better than the NFC for years, but that didn't stop teams from the NFC from winning the Super Bowl. In the NBA, the Western Conference has been stronger than the East basically since Jordan retired, but there have been plenty of championship caliber teams in the East. What you're missing there is that you can have a handful of championship-caliber teams, but on the whole still have a weaker league. Great example; Cincinatti ran away with the NL Central...and they did so without having a winning record against any team in MLB that was .500 or better. They won the NL Central entirely by having winning records against losing teams.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 02:15 PM)
I don't incessantly mean to call people out. I just tire of dismissing players' performance when they go to the NL.

San Francisco had a great offensive attack last night. Hard hit base hits as well as Uribe's bomb. The Giants abused Cliff Lee.

I don't know how many times I had to read about the Sox win streak only coming against NL teams.

Hudson's effort immediately dismissed cause he was in the NL.

Giants may win the WS.

IN other words you have one example, against the mountain of evidence of the other side.

That was one of the biggest meltdowns by a pen I can remember! Certainly in a World Series.

Wow! Gotta hand it to those Giants....they're doing it with a lineup of throw-away players (Burrell, Renteiria,Rowand, Uribe??)

They have some great m...ojo and chemistry going on there. Never would have guessed or predicted it. :headbang

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 06:41 AM)
Ron Washington is finally being exposed for the bad manager he is in this series. Two games just got away in the blink of an eye.

I don't know about that. He did get them to the WS which means they are AL champs. At some point don't you have to "expose" the guys doing the imploding on the mound? I don't buy the bad managing bit.

This is why you uh, want to win the all-star game.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 01:41 AM)
Ron Washington is finally being exposed for the bad manager he is in this series. Two games just got away in the blink of an eye.

I think someone needs to drug test him. Maybe he's back on the stuff??? Seems like it with some of these moves he has made,

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 08:00 AM)
I think someone needs to drug test him. Maybe he's back on the stuff??? Seems like it with some of these moves he has made,

You can give him a little bit of criticism for things like not having Feliz warm when the game started to get out of hand...but Washington can't make the pitches, and he can't make his batters hit Matt Cain. I can't look at either of these games and say "Ron Washington has cost them this game".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 07:27 AM)
You can give him a little bit of criticism for things like not having Feliz warm when the game started to get out of hand...but Washington can't make the pitches, and he can't make his batters hit Matt Cain. I can't look at either of these games and say "Ron Washington has cost them this game".

True. He hasn't cost them the last 2 games, but I think his management of his bullpen & the Vlad in RF situation have made you question some of his decision making, and that's not just hindsight. That goes back to game 1 of the ALCS as well.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 02:08 AM)
I don't know about that. He did get them to the WS which means they are AL champs. At some point don't you have to "expose" the guys doing the imploding on the mound? I don't buy the bad managing bit.

This is why you uh, want to win the all-star game.

It's kind of his fault that he let them implode. Especially yesterday, where Holland couldn't find the strike zone and he finally got Mark Lowe up when Holland walked a batter in. Then Mark Lowe probably wasn't ready and he sucked too.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 07:42 AM)
True. He hasn't cost them the last 2 games, but I think his management of his bullpen & the Vlad in RF situation have made you question some of his decision making, and that's not just hindsight. That goes back to game 1 of the ALCS as well.

He made a lot of weird decisions in the ALCS and got away with it because he got good offense and starting pitching.