2010 World Series: Rangers vs. Giants

Brian

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 08:16 AM)
As did Cliff Lee. Don't throw that fastball up right there. Edgar had been on fire and clutch in the WS, while Rowand barely even played anymore. Pitch around Renteria, especially on 2-0, and take your chances with Rowand.

That's Cliff Lee's style though. He goes after people, he doesn't want to just give up and walk a guy because of the situation.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 09:19 PM)
Not nearly as much though. I don't think there is any question that the two best teams were in the Superbowl last season, considering they started out like 13-0 and 14-0. I think basketball is the absolute best example of the best team winning it, because it is such a superstar driven league, and the team that has that superstar player with a good supporting cast almost always wins it. I don't follow the NHL nearly as much, but I do know that if you get a goalie who starts playing well at the right time, he can carry you a long way as well, so that, along with the limited scoring, is probably the closest example to baseball as there is...but those teams still have to win 16 games (and can play as many as 28) to win. That just isn't present in baseball.

I actually remember a lot of discussion after the NFC Champ. game how the Saints weren't the best team in the NFC and wouldnt have won if the game wasn't in the Superdome, but whatever.

I agree that the NBA usually has the best team winning. Its just a sport that when two teams play seven times, the best team will usually win the most games. Its a large enough sample size that the better team's skill will usually come out.

Hockey can definitely be as random and lucky as baseball. Not just due to a hot goalie, but its just the nature of the sport where a few unlucky puck bounces can knock off the best team. I think the Hawks probably were the best team overall last season, but without a lucky rebound their way, they would have lost game 5 & maybe the series to Nashville in the first round.

Just the fact that the 06 Cardinals are WS champions makes it obvious whether or not the best team always wins in baseball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 07:37 AM)
That's Cliff Lee's style though. He goes after people, he doesn't want to just give up and walk a guy because of the situation.

You are just so damn smart Balta.

Molina called for a cut fastball off the outside edge of the plate, looking for Lee to waste the pitch off the edge. If he fell behind in the count 3-0 and walked him, so be it; then they could really attack Rowand.

But Lee was thinking differently. "I was trying to throw him a strike," Lee said. "I don't want to walk anyone."

Were Molina and Lee on the same page? "I don't know," Molina said. "He's a machine. He attacks the zone. He always throws strikes."

The last strike he threw to Renteria turned out to be perhaps the last pivotal pitch of the World Series.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 09:26 AM)
Anyone see any interviews with Brian Wilson after they won? I can't tell if he is a total asshole or just messing around. Kinda of a weird dude.

Dude... Brian Wilson is hil-FREAKING-larious!!!

That beard thing is just an act... He LOOKS like a total asshole, but he's like a kid. It's all an act.

Google "Brian Wilson - Chris Rose The Machine. They have a history.

I liked seeing the entire infield celebrating last night. Huff, Sanchez, Uribe and Renteria. Who would have thought Uribe would be the most successful player out of the bunch. Freddy Sanchez was basically doomed to a lifetime of failure when he was on the Pirates, and now has a ring. I believe two ex-cubs got rings as well correct? DeRosa and Fontenot?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 10:04 AM)
I liked seeing the entire infield celebrating last night. Huff, Sanchez, Uribe and Renteria. Who would have thought Uribe would be the most successful player out of the bunch. Freddy Sanchez was basically doomed to a lifetime of failure when he was on the Pirates, and now has a ring. I believe two ex-cubs got rings as well correct? DeRosa and Fontenot?

I know that Shawon Dunston works for the Giants.

I remember in game 6 of the 2002 World Series when the Giants were only a few outs away from winning it. Dunston was celebrating finally getting a ring after all those years with the Cubs.

Then the bottom fell out and the Angels came back and won.

Wilson is funny as hell. I heard Jim Rome interviewing him towards the end of the NLCS. Pure. Hearing him talk about destroying souls on the mound was great stuff. Hearing him compare the Giants infield/outfield to specific zoo animals was also great.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 09:19 AM)
I also hope Cliff Lee gets demolished. It was a real nice gesture on the Yankees part to loan them their pitcher.

Giants in 5

And it came to pass.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 10:45 AM)
Wilson is funny as hell. I heard Jim Rome interviewing him towards the end of the NLCS. Pure. Hearing him talk about destroying souls on the mound was great stuff. Hearing him compare the Giants infield/outfield to specific zoo animals was also great.

The guy is a nutcase :lolhitting

But I like that in a closer.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 11:55 AM)
He pretty much established that already by winning the Cy Young his first two full seasons

He was being sarcastic because there was a poster on this board who claimed he wasn't elite.

Anyways, did Bengie Molina get to celebrate with the Giants last night?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 12:22 PM)
He was being sarcastic because there was a poster on this board who claimed he wasn't elite.

Anyways, did Bengie Molina get to celebrate with the Giants last night?

This really isn't news because it all happened years ago, but all three Molina brothers have a World Series ring. That's got to bother one of those guys who played forever on great teams and never won one. That whole family has at least one ring.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 02:40 AM)
You have to love Bochy getting credit for having Huff bunt in the 7th inning. In reality, the bunt took the bat out of the hands of one of their best hitters and put Burrell in a situation where he had to make contact. Edgar bailed out Bochy though.

You don't like the bunt much do you? Do you ever see a situation where the bunt is called for? It's in everybody's playbook and has been used for decade upon decade.

The White Sox bunted a lot in 05 and almost swept the entire postseason.

How bout just credit Edgar and credit Boche? Boche just won the world series. He's a genius right now leading a franchise that never wins WS to a WS title.

The big bad bashers the Rangers scored one run at home in the final 2 WS games. Small ball can be a nice complement to long ball sometimes.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 3, 2010 -> 02:15 PM)
You don't like the bunt much do you? Do you ever see a situation where the bunt is called for? It's in everybody's playbook and has been used for decade upon decade.

The White Sox bunted a lot in 05 and almost swept the entire postseason.

How bout just credit Edgar and credit Boche? Boche just won the world series. He's a genius right now leading a franchise that never wins WS to a WS title.

The big bad bashers the Rangers scored one run at home in the final 2 WS games. Small ball can be a nice complement to long ball sometimes.

Bunt with a runner on 2B and nobody out with a weak hitter at the plate late in a game where you are trailing by 1 run. There can be a runner on first in that scenario too. I also don't mind when players intelligently bunt for hits.

That's about it. It is an archaic practice that has been statistically proven to cost teams runs.

I know nobody cares about my argument and you'll all point to different sabes stats but ... if the AL is so f***ing superior, how did the Giants maul our big bad Rangers in 5 games??

I think the AL-NL thing is overrated. Baseball is baseball folks.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 02:08 AM)
I know nobody cares about my argument and you'll all point to different sabes stats but ... if the AL is so f***ing superior, how did the Giants maul our big bad Rangers in 5 games??

So things like interleague record is considered "sabes stats" now? lmao

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 02:08 AM)

The AL still owns the NL in interleague record, which is the only stat with enough sample size to be meaningful here (All Star games and WS are just too chance-ridden). But, it does appear in the past couple years that the gap is closing a bit. They probably aren't as far apart as they were.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 07:33 AM)
The AL still owns the NL in interleague record, which is the only stat with enough sample size to be meaningful here (All Star games and WS are just too chance-ridden). But, it does appear in the past couple years that the gap is closing a bit. They probably aren't as far apart as they were.

This pretty much nails it on the head.