Flu shots and tattoos

SouthsideDon48

Hey guys, weird question, I know. But I was hoping anyone with tattoos can answer this question...

I got my 2nd tattoo last January, so now both of my upper arms are tattoo'd in the spot where they normally give you flu shots. The 2 years before, I just simply had them give me my flu shot on my yet-to-be-tattoo'd arm.

My concern now is, when I get my flu shot, and if I had them give me the flu shot on my tattoo, will the puncture of the needle be visible long after I get the flu shot and kind of ruin my tattoo? Or will the area where the needle punctured my skin heal over with the ink intact?

What is the general consensus on flu shots these days? I remember hearing some negatives about them regarding the ingredients and their effectiveness/safety, but I got such a bad flu this season that I may reconsider getting them in the future

The issue is probably more will the tat obscure any redness that would normally be visible at the injection site. One of the ways they can tell if you are having a reaction to the shot is redness around the injection site.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 01:49 PM)
What is the general consensus on flu shots these days? I remember hearing some negatives about them regarding the ingredients and their effectiveness/safety, but I got such a bad flu this season that I may reconsider getting them in the future

There is absolutely no reason not to get a flu shot. If you're allergic to eggs, you need a specific variety not prepared using them. Aside from that, there really is zero reason not to do so.

Most of the "vaccines are evil!" negatives that you hear are either overblown or flat out lies. People try to come up with reasons to justify their hesitation for a needle stick or to justify their hesitation to introduce something into their bodies that they didn't prepare. You can have soreness at the site of the injection, some headaches, runny nose if you do the nasal variety. Compared to a full blown flu, which can put you up for days, wind you up in a hospital, or kill you, the side effects should be mild.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. :) I also stopped and spoke to two tattoo artists at two different shops and they told me not to worry about anything, either.

Also, I might consider going the "flu shot on the ass" route if the girl giving the shot is hot. And this time when I say "hot", I mean the type of girl I consider to be hot. :D

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
Thanks for the replies, everyone. :) I also stopped and spoke to two tattoo artists at two different shops and they told me not to worry about anything, either.

Also, I might consider going the "flu shot on the ass" route if the girl giving the shot is hot. And this time when I say "hot", I mean the type of girl I consider to be hot. :D

You may also want to ask the nurse or a Doc about it. Does anyone know if veins move? A "stick needle here" tat might be kind of funny.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 04:37 PM)
You may also want to ask the nurse or a Doc about it. Does anyone know if veins move? A "stick needle here" tat might be kind of funny.

Veins definitely move. Not by much, but I've got about a 2-centimeter-diameter circle on my left arm full of needle sticks from the red cross, with the vein moving slightly from side to side.