Thornton, Castro back; Torres gone

fathom

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 26, 2010 -> 03:34 PM)
Just because Flowers' had a bad season doesn't mean he's a non-prospect. This is the same exact kind of stuff people were saying about Viciedo last year, and then he had a good all around season.

The example I used was JP Arencibia for Toronto. Had a piss-poor 2009, comes back this year, destroys AAA pitching, and he's looked at in a different light again.

Flowers is still a relatively young player. This is a very important season for him, but considering him a non-prospect after his first full go around in AAA is pretty ridiculous.

Eh, Flowers situation to Viciedos last year is just an awful comparison and you know that.

Granted, I wouldn't say he's a non-prospect at this point but he certainly doesn't have much value at this point. Our best bet is to throw him back in AAA and hope he rebounds.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Oct 26, 2010 -> 06:21 PM)
I'm happy that Casto's option was picked up but only if that means he is the backup and his role remains the same next year.

Does anyone realize how productive Castro was in limited AB's last year. He hit 8 Hr in 128 AB. If he gets a full a year of AB's, say about 460 for a catcher, thats about 30 HR. Wow.

Just because Flowers' had a bad season doesn't mean he's a non-prospect. This is the same exact kind of stuff people were saying about Viciedo last year, and then he had a good all around season.

The example I used was JP Arencibia for Toronto. Had a piss-poor 2009, comes back this year, destroys AAA pitching, and he's looked at in a different light again.

Flowers is still a relatively young player. This is a very important season for him, but considering him a non-prospect after his first full go around in AAA is pretty ridiculous.

And the thing is, Viciedo didn't have a bad season in 2009. That's a complete fallacy.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Oct 26, 2010 -> 09:42 PM)
Does anyone realize how productive Castro was in limited AB's last year. He hit 8 Hr in 128 AB. If he gets a full a year of AB's, say about 460 for a catcher, thats about 30 HR. Wow.

He was great in the role he was in. I don't think he would have 30 homers if he played full time, but I see what you're saying.

And if a guy who hits 1 homer in a game keeps up that pace, he's surely going to hit 162 home runs.

I honestly have no problem giving Castro a lot of playing time next year, so long as Flowers is up and playing quite a bit too. There is a reason why Castro has only played more than 57 games in a season once, and there is a reason why his career splits are .237/.310/.423/.733, and that is because he is not a great hitter.

But .733 is REALLY good for a catcher, in terms of OPS.

He's obviously a platoon player and shouldn't be overexposed, so be it. I don't think anyone envisions him with 130-140 GP.

If that does happen, it means Flowers failed and/or AJ wasn't resigned, and definitely those numbers aren't going to hold up with that much playing time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 26, 2010 -> 06:12 PM)
Castro is fine as long as we don't expect anything like what we got from him last season.

This is exactly what I was talking about.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 26, 2010 -> 08:40 PM)
It was obvious Thornton would be back, but I wasn't sure on Castro. I'm glad he is back as he's a proven backup catcher and he played great in that role this year.

Don't you think the AJ era is over and Castro will be our starter?

Hope he is good in that role. I'm thinking Paulie is back and AJP is gone.

It was a lock Castro was coming back, but as a BACK UP Catcher. He's not going to start. You saw what happens when he gets more playing time. He's a fine back up, but if he's getting 400 plate appearances, his numbers will dive. Supposedly, he also was the NY Mets fans' choice to be annointed the starter.He wound up getting moved for Lance Broadway and the Mets picked up cash.

I agree he's not a non prospect, but to think he's anything but an average one at best is silly. He's a 25 year old who could not make contact in AAA. That's a huge problem.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 11:06 PM)
Don't you think the AJ era is over and Castro will be our starter?

Hope he is good in that role. I'm thinking Paulie is back and AJP is gone.

I don't think there's any chance Kenny expects Castro to be a 400 PA+ catcher next year. That'd be almost as stupid as re-signing Kotsay.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 07:24 AM)
I don't think there's any chance Kenny expects Castro to be a 400 PA+ catcher next year. That'd be almost as stupid as re-signing Kotsay.

I don't think resigning Kotsay, or having Kotsay on the team was dumb. What was dumb was the way Kotsay was used. If Kotsay only had 120 - 150 at bats all season he might have flourished. Let's hope that they learned their lesson and we only see Castro 1 - 2 times a week.

Edited by balfanman

QUOTE (balfanman @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 08:53 AM)
I don't think resigning Kotsay, or having Kotsay on the team was dumb. What waqs dumb was the way Kotsay was used. If Kotsay only had 120 - 150 at bats all season he might have flourished. Let's hope that they learned their lesson and we only see Castro 1 - 2 times a week.

Honestly...yeah it was dumb. Kotsay's only role was as a backup 1b once they realized he couldn't play the OF. If you're going to carry a 12 man bullpen (and hence go with a 4 man bench), you can't have 2 of your bench guys only able to play 1 position or you're going to be sorely lacking on depth. Backup 1b, Backup C, backup OF, backup IF. You have 1 guy to backup the other 3 OF positions and 1 guy to backup the other 3 IF positions.

Kotsay couldn't play the outfield at all? I didn't know that. I just thought that Jones and whoever else were better options and that's why we never saw him out there.

Now that I think about it, that doesn't fit Ozzies M. O. He would of played Kotsay out there anyway.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 26, 2010 -> 02:40 PM)
It was obvious Thornton would be back, but I wasn't sure on Castro. I'm glad he is back as he's a proven backup catcher and he played great in that role this year.

The decisions are obvious to us, but you have to hold your breath with this management