Thornton, Castro back; Torres gone

fathom

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Oct 26, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)
Flowers is a non-prospect at this point. No team would trade anything of value for him. As for Viciedo, he's probably the starting 1B next season given the payroll problems the team has.

I wish to heck sox fans would stop this nonsense about payroll.

The White Sox owners are not poor.

They just believe in pocketing profits rather than reinvesting them.

A successful season for them is staying competitive until the Bears start dominating the news in late summer.

Edited by mcgrad70

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 06:53 PM)
I wish to heck sox fans would stop this nonsense about payroll.

The White Sox owners are not poor.

They just believe in pocketing profits rather than reinvesting them.

A successful season for them is staying competitive until the Bears start dominating the news in late summer.

You've never explained yourself with actual facts as to why you hate management so much. Instead, you've held onto this pre-2005 philosophy that management doesn't spend money to help the team, nor do they really spend money at all. Why?

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 07:01 PM)
The way they played, I don't have to see them again for a long time.

Yeah, 88 wins is chopped liver. GMAFB

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 08:33 AM)
You've never explained yourself with actual facts as to why you hate management so much. Instead, you've held onto this pre-2005 philosophy that management doesn't spend money to help the team, nor do they really spend money at all. Why?

Yeah, 88 wins is chopped liver. GMAFB

Eh, he's really good at spouting one liners and then ignoring questions about them.

One thing some may not realize about Ramon Castro is that he's about a year older than AJP. So if you think AJ is old for a catcher, I don't know how you would expect Castro to hold up for more than about 40 games started considering his age and physical condition. I also believe one big issue the White Sox have with re-signing Konerko or AJ regardless of what they say or will say publicly is if they are re-signed they automatically have no trade clauses. I think if things went sour, KW would like the flexibility to move salary if he wished, and move it where he could get the best deal.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 10:13 AM)
One thing some may not realize about Ramon Castro is that he's about a year older than AJP. So if you think AJ is old for a catcher, I don't know how you would expect Castro to hold up for more than about 40 games started considering his age and physical condition. I also believe one big issue the White Sox have with re-signing Konerko or AJ regardless of what they say or will say publicly is if they are re-signed they automatically have no trade clauses. I think if things went sour, KW would like the flexibility to move salary if he wished, and move it where he could get the best deal.

Well for starters...

AJ 1365 games played, 5207 PA, 11088 Innings caught

Castro 544 games played, 1528 PA, 3326 Innings caught

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 10:22 AM)
Well for starters...

AJ 1365 games played, 5207 PA, 11088 Innings caught

Castro 544 games played, 1528 PA, 3326 Innings caught

And what is it about Castro's career that would make you believe at age 35 he would be up for more than 40 games started? It doesn't happen for the guy. AJ has been durable and remained durable. This guy, while I think he's just fine as a back up, would be a train wreck as a starter. If he was given more opportunities, he'd be on the DL more than Nick Johnson. For the record, despite the workload, AJP has never been on the DL. I thought defensively, 2010 was one of AJs finest years with the Sox. If he hit the entire season like he did in the second half, most people would hope the Sox payed up to bring him back.

Edited by Dick Allen

Not exactly a perfect situation. Until proven otherwise with another catcher signed, I'd assume that AJP will see less games and Castro will see more. I always think of the small changes before the big changes.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 3, 2010 -> 12:52 AM)
Castro is a good backup. He won't repeat that home run rate, period.

I see Viciedo's ceiling at as a 1B to be like Billy Butler, which would be fine with me. But I don't think it comes next year.

Why Billy Butler? Billy Butler is a solid doubles hitter with occasional HR power. That sounds nothing like Viciedo to me.