Steve Perry is a sell-out

Steve9347

The parallels between 2005 Sox and 2010 Giants continue to grow.

link

43,000+ Giants fans sing along with Steve Perry

By 'Duk

SAN FRANCISCO — The thing about going to a baseball game in the year 2010 is that you know just about everything that is going to happen. The scoreboard is going to tell you when to cheer. The mascot will try and entertain you. You will spend way too much money on several plastic cups of beer. Someone will get a big hit and you will hope that it will help your team win. You will go home either happy or sad, depending on the result.

Don't get me wrong. There's still nothing like going to a baseball game — all of those rituals add up to a certain comfort — but the reason we keep coming back is for the little unexpected moments that we've never experienced before.

On Thursday, that moment came when a Journey song started playing at AT&T Park near the end of Game 2 of the World Series. No, I am not making a joke:

This sing-along of more than 43,000 people happened in the middle of the eighth inning, just after Javier Lopez(notes) got Josh Hamilton(notes) to fly out and end the Rangers' last true scoring threat. The song is Journey's "Lights" — a tune about San Francisco that was strangely originally about Los Angeles — and the guy you see jumping around on the scoreboard is Steve Perry, the band's famous frontman and a noted Giants fan.

I'm not sure if I should be embarrassed to admit to getting goosebumps while watching this from my spot in the right field stands, but I did. As far I could tell, it was a completely spontaneous thing and it was a really cool to watch the Giants fans' passion for their team and city combine with the images that were floating by on the scoreboard. Something I really could have never expected to see when I came to the game.

Though Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" has been the Giants' true playoff anthem this season — watch a ballpark rendition of that song below — I think the team might now have a new contender for a regular AT&T tradition. The Giants, after all, scored seven runs in their next at-bat to blow the game wide open.

I love/hate this.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 10:26 AM)
Can't teams get their own new theme songs? I understand he's from S.F., but come on. We made this ours in 2005. There's not enough songs out there to find a different one? Really?

If this was a facebook status I would "like" it

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 11:14 AM)
But isn't there sort of an informal rule that once a team adopts a song, it's forever linked to them? Think of the Pirates back in the 70s with "We Are Family." Or the Hawks with "Chelsea Dagger."

Guess not.

Unless it really unique or lame--think "Hang On Sloopy" at OSU (sorry, Rock)--I think mimicry is more the norm now. At one time, virtually every single NBA franchise played Gary Glitter's "Rock and Roll Part 2," and I hear Darth Vader's theme from "Star Wars" played in dozens of college football stadiums.