2010-11 MLB Offseason Catch-All

witesoxfan

Not quite there yet, but it's close enough.

Anyways, this bugged me. This is Rotoworld's entry on Casey Kelly...

Red Sox pitching prospect Casey Kelly finished with a 6.75 ERA over four starts in the Arizona Fall League.

Kelly actually pitched pretty well in three of his four outings, but he was torched for eight runs in a fluky two-inning start last Monday. The 21-year-old righty averaged a stellar 7.7 K/9 over 21 appearances this year at Double-A Portland and remains a top pitching prospect. With a little polishing, he should be a high-impact big league starter for a long time.

Since when is a 7.7 K/9 stellar? I understand that he was a 20 year old in AA this year, so in that regard it is impressive, but overall a 7.7 K/9 is not that great, and in fact is just slightly above the league average there (7.3). His ERA was also 5.31...again, more understandable because he was a 20 year old...which is well above the league ERA of 4.21. And all of those 21 appearances was a start, and he threw 95 innings this year, which means he averaged less than 5 innings a start, after throwing 95 innings in 4 fewer starts last year. He also focused exclusively on pitching this year too, so you would think that he would have increased his work total, not decreased.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 11:54 AM)
Not quite there yet, but it's close enough.

Anyways, this bugged me. This is Rotoworld's entry on Casey Kelly...

Red Sox pitching prospect Casey Kelly finished with a 6.75 ERA over four starts in the Arizona Fall League.

Kelly actually pitched pretty well in three of his four outings, but he was torched for eight runs in a fluky two-inning start last Monday. The 21-year-old righty averaged a stellar 7.7 K/9 over 21 appearances this year at Double-A Portland and remains a top pitching prospect. With a little polishing, he should be a high-impact big league starter for a long time.

Since when is a 7.7 K/9 stellar? I understand that he was a 20 year old in AA this year, so in that regard it is impressive, but overall a 7.7 K/9 is not that great, and in fact is just slightly above the league average there (7.3). His ERA was also 5.31...again, more understandable because he was a 20 year old...which is well above the league ERA of 4.21. And all of those 21 appearances was a start, and he threw 95 innings this year, which means he averaged less than 5 innings a start, after throwing 95 innings in 4 fewer starts last year. He also focused exclusively on pitching this year too, so you would think that he would have increased his work total, not decreased.

It's because he's a Red Sox prospect.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 3, 2010 -> 10:41 AM)
Former Reds and Tigers manager Sparky Anderson is in hospice care due to complications resulting from dementia.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/da...-hospice-care/1

I am surprised to read that he is only 76 years old. I would of guessed he was much older than that. It just seemed to me that he looked like an old man when he managed the Tigers 20 + years ago.

Edited by balfanman

The Rangers declined a $9 million mutual option on Vlad Guerrero, making him a Free Agent.

I'm honestly a bit shocked. I thought they'd have picked that up for sure after the season he had. Maybe this is either a symptom of their financial issues from last year or a sign that they're going to go full-bore after Cliff Lee.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 07:32 AM)
The Rangers declined a $9 million mutual option on Vlad Guerrero, making him a Free Agent.

I'm honestly a bit shocked. I thought they'd have picked that up for sure after the season he had. Maybe this is either a symptom of their financial issues from last year or a sign that they're going to go full-bore after Cliff Lee.

I dont know. He wore down in the 2nd half, his OPS went from .919 to .748. He didn't hit all that much in the postseason either. $9 million would be a large over-pay IMO. I could see him staying in Texas, but maybe for half that amount.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 07:42 AM)
I dont know. He wore down in the 2nd half, his OPS went from .919 to .748. He didn't hit all that much in the postseason either. $9 million would be a large over-pay IMO. I could see him staying in Texas, but maybe for half that amount.

Exactly, plus you have to figure they have some extra money to play with since they made it to the World Series. Perhaps they'll sign or trade for a hitter who isn't as much of a risk as Guerrero.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 6, 2010 -> 11:02 AM)
The Sox should look at Vlad in the offseason. See what he wants.

Leaves the team pretty RH hitter heavy unless they can find a LH player at 1b, and puts Quentin back in the OF as a regular player.

It's an option, but it has its weaknesses. Not to mention the playoffs.

REJOICE!!!!!

ESPN Breaks Up ‘Sunday Night Baseball’ Team

By RICHARD SANDOMIR

ESPN ended its 20-year association with Jon Miller and Joe Morgan as the voices of “Sunday Night Baseball” on Monday. They declined to renew Morgan’s contract and have asked Miller if he wants to stay on as the radio voice of the Sunday night games. Discussions are ongoing.

“We’ve decided to make a change and introduce new voices and new perspective,” said Norby Williamson, an executive vice president of ESPN. He added: “Twenty one years is an eternity in this business. And today is about acknowledging the contributions they made to the franchise.”

Each announcer is a Hall of Famer. Morgan entered as a player in 1990 and Miller received the Ford C. Frick Award from the hall earlier this year in recognition of broadcasting excellence.

It is nearly certain that Miller will be replaced by Dan Shulman, who will be joined by Orel Hershiser, whom ESPN added to “Sunday Night” last season. Bobby Valentine might be the third voice if he does not get a managing job. Williamson declined to talk about the new team.

Miller is the lead play-by-play voice for the San Francisco Giants, calling games on radio and TV. He could take ESPN’s offer and shift to radio (where he has been calling the postseason for years) or increase his workload on Giants games. Miller’s decision could be delayed because he is on vacation.

In his acceptance speech at the Hall of Fame, Miller said that the seminal moment of his life came at age 10 when his father and godfather took him to his first Giants game at Candlestick Park. He was pleasantly amused to see through his binoculars that the visiting team’s announcer was munching on big handfuls of french fries during the play-by-play.

“And as a 10-year,” he said, “I sat there and said, ‘That is the life for me.’ ”

Derek Jeter to get paid like he's prime A-Rod?

Derek Jeter is going to be paid Ryan Howard money for putting up Marco Scutaro numbers.

"The Yankees are going to overpay him," said a source with intimate knowledge of the discussions between the team and Casey Close, Jeter's agent. "The question is, how much are they going to overpay him?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5781611

I've always defended Jeter. But this is ridiculous if accurate.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)

I'll miss Morgan and Miller. I know its the popular thing to hate on them in a very exaggerated way but those are the voices I was used to for Sunday Night Baseball. They were nowhere near as bad as people make them out to be. Cynicism and questionable name pronunciations don't bother me at all.

I hoped they would at least stick to the radio call, but I guess that isn't happening.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 05:48 PM)
Derek Jeter to get paid like he's prime A-Rod?

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5781611

I've always defended Jeter. But this is ridiculous if accurate.

I want Marco Scutaro to have a monster year, and every baseball he hits against the Yankees is a dribbler just out of the reach of their shortstop. And I hate the Red Sox.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 09:39 AM)
I'll miss Morgan and Miller. I know its the popular thing to hate on them in a very exaggerated way but those are the voices I was used to for Sunday Night Baseball. They were nowhere near as bad as people make them out to be. Cynicism and questionable name pronunciations don't bother me at all.

I hoped they would at least stick to the radio call, but I guess that isn't happening.

I want Marco Scutaro to have a monster year, and every baseball he hits against the Yankees is a dribbler just out of the reach of their shortstop. And I hate the Red Sox.

The problem with Morgan isn't cynicism or pronunciations. Its the fact that he is just so ignorant, as well as racist. He's a terrible announcer.