2010-11 MLB Offseason Catch-All

witesoxfan

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 10:20 AM)
The problem with Morgan isn't cynicism or pronunciations. Its the fact that he is just so ignorant, as well as racist. He's a terrible announcer.

The pronunciation part is directed at Miller.

I don't know, he/they may have their faults but most who call games will. I haven't ever been overly critical of announcers though.

Racist? I'm not disputing you, and this isn't the first time I'm hearing the word applied to Morgan, I just haven't really seen anything like that stand out.

In the end I tune in to watch a baseball game. I've only ever muted a tv call during Sox games- not that I dislike Hawk and DJ/Stone, I just like listening to Ed Farmer share his thoughts on the various life topics that come up during his call of Sox games.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yankees plan on Posada moving to full-time DH duties.

Face to face, Brian Cashman informed Jorge Posada he will be the Yankees designated hitter next season, The Post has learned.

Cashman met with Posada in Manhattan this week to tell the veteran to, as usual, prepare to catch, but the team's first option is to have youngsters Jesus Montero, Francisco Cervelli and Austin Romine compete in spring training for the two primary jobs.

It is quite a risk to team an expensive, mostly veteran staff with such inexperienced catchers. But it is indicative of how much the Yankees believe Posada's defensive game has slipped in all areas.

It is possible plans could change if the Yankees use one of the catchers in a trade and/or they feel there is enough budget left to secure free agent John Buck. For now, though, the Yankees are going to hope that Montero, in particular, is advanced enough to handle a significant portion of the catching as a way to begin working the top prospect's ultra-promising bat into the lineup.

According to a source with knowledge of the conversation, Posada was fine with the message that turns the 39-year-old switch-hitter into primarily a DH, a role he has struggled with and has shown no affinity for previously.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 10, 2010 -> 08:48 PM)
Mariners PBP guy Dave Niehaus passed away today.

Fly away Dave, fly away.

Wife's brother-in-law came into town last night. He grew up in Seattle, felt bad I had to tell him the news. Listened to the call of Edgar's double a few times. RIP.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 03:22 PM)
Ryan Braun on the trading block.

Interesting. What do you think the Sox can get for a 30 year old reliever with a 6.66 major league ERA, who hasn't pitched in the majors since 2007? Shouldn't this go in the minor league thread anyway?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 04:34 PM)
Interesting. What do you think the Sox can get for a 30 year old reliever with a 6.66 major league ERA, who hasn't pitched in the majors since 2007? Shouldn't this go in the minor league thread anyway?

.....I must be missing something here....

I know we have a minor league reliever named Ryan Braun as well, but why the hell would I be talking about him? Inside joke?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)

I know we have a minor league reliever named Ryan Braun as well, but why the hell would I be talking about him? Inside joke?

Well "Ryan Braun on the trading block" with no link, source or even you stating where you heard this from would cause most to believe this was bulls***. I actually thought you were serious.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 04:56 PM)
Well "Ryan Braun on the trading block" with no link, source or even you stating where you heard this from would cause most to believe this was bulls***. I actually thought you were serious.

Unless you are an ESPN Insider, you can't view the link, but here it is anyway.....

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/features/ru..._/date/20101110

"MLB.com's Peter Gammons said on Red Sox Hot Stove Live Tuesday night that he's heard the Milwaukee Brewers may consider trading left fielder Ryan Braun"

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)

Like J4L said, there was no link or anything, and Braun being traded would be HUGE news, so I was just trying to be funny that it was the Sox Ryan Braun.

I did read the ESPN link, and to me it just sounds like they are throwing s*** at the wall to see if anything will stick. He's due $13 million total over the next two seasons, the haul for him would be so ridiculous, it ain't gonna happen.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 04:01 PM)
Unless you are an ESPN Insider, you can't view the link, but here it is anyway.....

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/features/ru..._/date/20101110

"MLB.com's Peter Gammons said on Red Sox Hot Stove Live Tuesday night that he's heard the Milwaukee Brewers may consider trading left fielder Ryan Braun"

I am an insider and I hadn't seen this. I'm calling total bulls***. Braun had what could be classified a 'down' season in '10 and still sported a .380 wOBA and 4.2 WAR, which was all offensively driven (he's a horrible defender). And as LH mentioned, he's ridiculous cheap through 2013 and not really even that expensive in 2014. It would take a minimum of three premium prospects to acquire him.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 04:19 PM)
I am an insider and I hadn't seen this. I'm calling total bulls***. Braun had what could be classified a 'down' season in '10 and still sported a .380 wOBA and 4.2 WAR, which was all offensively driven (he's a horrible defender). And as LH mentioned, he's ridiculous cheap through 2013 and not really even that expensive in 2014. It would take a minimum of three premium prospects to acquire him.

And the Brewers might as well go into full rebuilding mode, because if they trade Braun on top of losing Fielder at the end of next year, they won't be competing for a very long time.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 05:23 PM)
The Cubs want some state aid for Wrigley Field renovations. Good luck with that.

LOL, I saw that too. They want $200M, and they say it will be supported by an ISA bond float and plowing back any money beyond the base $16.1M in entertainment tax paid on tickets already last year and each year. Ricketts claims that means no new taxes for anyone.

Of course, it also means he's taking money away from the top of the entertainment tax, which means less revenue for the state, which means either higher taxes or less services. Plus saddling the ISA with new debt that could jeopardize future borrowing costs.

And oh yea, the Governor and the Speaker of the House are both Sox fans.

Good luck with that indeed.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 05:21 PM)
And the Brewers might as well go into full rebuilding mode, because if they trade Braun on top of losing Fielder at the end of next year, they won't be competing for a very long time.

There ya go. Fielder leaving hurts them badly, and they don't have the horses to make a run this year or next, barring a miracle. However, if they moved both Fielder and Braun to restock right now, picked up serious pieces (especially pitching) for them, they could look at being a contender maybe 1-2 years down the road with a core still anchored by guys like Escobar, Gamel, Lawrie, Lucroy, and Gallardo.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 05:19 PM)

Oh you didn't notice this before I did? Ok, guess I made it up then.....?

Keith Law has been doing a little series this off-season for positional Free Agents. Some white sox hate from Mr. Law....

He placed Konerko is his "In demand" tier of players, while he just repeated his comments about Konerko being a time-bomb, old, bad defense, and about to fall off the cliff.

In his "Stay away" from category, he had Pierzynski saying he is old, slow, and can't get on base. In his "stay away" from section of starting pitchers I thought it was kind of funny that all 3 of the pitchers listed are ex-sox players. Freddy Garcia, Jon Garland, and Javier Vazquez are his 3 starters to avoid.

He did however make note of Don Cooper in both Freddy and Garland's little write-up. It could have very well be sarcasm, but he mentioned that Don Cooper must be the best pitching coach in baseball, and then in Garland's he said "all-hail Don Cooper". Maybe he doesn't hate Coop, or maybe he is a sarcastic c***.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 06:47 PM)
Oh you didn't notice this before I did? Ok, guess I made it up then.....?

Are you serious? I didn't say you were making it up. I SAW the report once you posted the link. I'm calling the piece itself bulls***. Makes absolutely no sense that the Brewers would want to trade a franchise piece like Ryan Braun when he's so good, young and cheap.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 07:00 PM)
Keith Law has been doing a little series this off-season for positional Free Agents. Some white sox hate from Mr. Law....

He placed Konerko is his "In demand" tier of players, while he just repeated his comments about Konerko being a time-bomb, old, bad defense, and about to fall off the cliff.

In his "Stay away" from category, he had Pierzynski saying he is old, slow, and can't get on base. In his "stay away" from section of starting pitchers I thought it was kind of funny that all 3 of the pitchers listed are ex-sox players. Freddy Garcia, Jon Garland, and Javier Vazquez are his 3 starters to avoid.

He did however make note of Don Cooper in both Freddy and Garland's little write-up. It could have very well be sarcasm, but he mentioned that Don Cooper must be the best pitching coach in baseball, and then in Garland's he said "all-hail Don Cooper". Maybe he doesn't hate Coop, or maybe he is a sarcastic c***.

Why is Keith Law a White Sox hater when he is telling the truth or atleast a side of the equation that could very well be true? Konerko is going to be like 35 years old next year and, coming off the best season of his career, he's going to command a big pay check. It's far likelier that he will revert to his career .850 OPS standards and not be worth $12 million, and it's entirely possible that he could fall off the tracks completely and put up an .800 or less OPS. AJ Pierzynski was pretty mediocre last year and got ridiculously hot down the stretch to raise his average to .270. He doesn't throw out base runners, and he's only OK offensively. He calls a good game, but you can have pitching coaches call the game too.

It may be entirely possible that Keith Law hates the White Sox, but it may also be possible that he doesn't care either way about the White Sox and just gives his opinion of the players. I'm going to guess it's the latter.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 09:18 PM)
It may be entirely possible that Keith Law hates the White Sox, but it may also be possible that he doesn't care either way about the White Sox and just gives his opinion of the players. I'm going to guess it's the latter.

He has a ridiculous record of being wrong on White Sox guys, because every time they draft or sign someone, he immediately starts hating it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 08:51 PM)
He has a ridiculous record of being wrong on White Sox guys, because every time they draft or sign someone, he immediately starts hating it.

You mean like how he had Gordon Beckham as a prime breakout candidate this year?

He has also said the White Sox have the worst farm systems in the majors, but is he wrong? It is one of the worst, so I would say you can make the argument that it is the worst.

He may have some underlying bias towards the White Sox, but I really have never seen it. He seems to be very critical of a lot of teams - I recall seeing both Nationals and Giants fans crying about how Law always tears their teams apart. I strongly doubt Law means to direct any ill-will towards the White Sox.