2010-11 MLB Offseason Catch-All

witesoxfan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride56 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 04:11 PM)
Jake Peavy is ahead of schedule.

jonmorosi

KW says Peavy ahead of schedule. #whitesox

13 minutes ago via txt

That makes trading a starter easier, but we'd still need some sort of insurance in case Peavy can't go. We pretty much have nothing in AAA to protect us.

Uggla is about to be traded to Braves for Omar Infante and Mike Dunn. Doesn't seem like that great of a deal for Uggla who is coming off the best year of his career. Despite being 30 and not a good defender, I figured he would net more than this. I guess not though. I wonder if this impacts the Braves going for Upton or not.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 04:33 PM)
Uggla is about to be traded to Braves for Omar Infante and Mike Dunn. Doesn't seem like that great of a deal for Uggla who is coming off the best year of his career. Despite being 30 and not a good defender, I figured he would net more than this. I guess not though. I wonder if this impacts the Braves going for Upton or not.

Hes a DH waiting to happen.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 05:34 PM)
Hes a DH waiting to happen.

His fielding is bad, but it's not Carlos Quentin bad. -10 average UZR, but still 5th overall in baseball in WAR for a 2b. His bat is so good that if he was "average" defensively, he'd be right there with Cano for WAR out of the 2b spot.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 03:36 PM)
I would say that Arizona would be looking at Danks/Floyd, Sale (when he actually becomes eligible to be traded, which is not until like January), Viciedo, and Morel (because, while both are solid prospects, neither are good enough prospects to be worth it).

Upton is a phenomenal talent, but he is not worth that, and I don't think the Sox need to be involved on this. They are just simply not in a position to be giving up whatever minor league depth that they have for a player who is still a bit of a project.

You're smokin' dope or somethin'. I'd give up ANYTHING for Justin Upton. My mom, dad, cousins, whatever. If what it took was one of Danks/Floyd, Viciedo and Morel then it's a wrap for me. Justin Upton is a unique talent that hasn't even sniffed his prime.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 04:40 PM)
You're smokin' dope or somethin'. I'd give up ANYTHING for Justin Upton. My mom, dad, cousins, whatever. If what it took was one of Danks/Floyd, Viciedo and Morel then it's a wrap for me. Justin Upton is a unique talent that hasn't even sniffed his prime.

You're going to give up Danks, Sale, Viciedo and Morel for Upton? Yeesh. I like Justin Upton as much as the next guy but trading that much talent for one guy is just too damn much imo.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 04:46 PM)
You're going to give up Danks, Sale, Viciedo and Morel for Upton? Yeesh. I like Justin Upton as much as the next guy but trading that much talent for one guy is just too damn much imo.

Ooops, I missed where he said Sale. Well I'd definitely give up one of Danks/Sale, Viciedo and Morel for Upton and another piece.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 04:46 PM)

Not to mention it means we still need another starter, a 3B, and to fill the bullpen.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 04:48 PM)
Ooops, I missed where he said Sale. Well I'd definitely give up one of Danks/Sale, Viciedo and Morel for Upton and another piece.

I don't think the Sox could trade Sale now even if they wanted to. And if AZ wanted him as a PTBNL, they certainly wouldn't want him pitching for the White Sox risking injury before he was eligible to be dealt. I'm also against trading Danks. Morel may be OK eventually but he's easily and cheaply replaceable for the immediate future. Viciedo doesn't seem to be the manager's favorite guy. I really doubt they trade Upton, although his contract does call for a decent sum of money. I wouldn't be shocked if KW goes after his brother. He's been after him before and his price has probably never been lower.

I have no problem with Williams atleast investigating the possibility of Upton, but with the offers teams may be willing to put together for him, the only hope you would have is that Towers views Danks as an elite starter, and you then have to hope that Towers views 2 years of Danks in a similar light to 5 years of Upton, or that he has confidence they can resign Danks.

That is the one big advantage the White Sox would have, and while it's not exactly filling a hole and creating another, it still doesn't address a lot of the issues the Sox would potentially have with the 2011 club.

I don't think Upton will go anywhere. I think Towers will ask for a package far too expensive for any team to be able to pay.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 11:05 AM)
Tigers Reach Agreement With Joaquin Benoit

Getting Linebrink money... Let's hope he performs about as well as Linebrink for the Tigers.

It's possible that the rotator cuff surgery helped him pitch so well and last year wasn't a fluke. But given his career numbers before that, I would question that deal. Its the largest contract for a non-closer reliever since Mr. Linebrink.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 12:18 PM)
It's possible that the rotator cuff surgery helped him pitch so well and last year wasn't a fluke. But given his career numbers before that, I would question that deal. Its the largest contract for a non-closer reliever since Mr. Linebrink.

He gave up a .192 BABIP last season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 11:59 AM)
Tigers/Twins/White Sox/Yankees/Red Sox/Rays/Blue Jays/Mariners/Angels/Athletics/Rangers have a chance to be really good next year if they use their money wisely the next few months. That's a big if though.
Edited by witesoxfan