2010-11 MLB Offseason Catch-All

witesoxfan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 05:33 PM)
Rays trade Bartlett to Padres for Adam Russell and Cesar Ramos. Who is their SS? Beckham? Brignac?

Ew, Adam Russell.

Good deal for SD. Although Bartlett is going to hit even worse in Petco than he did last year.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:17 PM)
Cliff Lee is a stud, but damn, that's a long contract to sign for a pitcher that's 32.

Heyman is notorious for being a mouthpiece for agents. There's a reason the 7 year teams are "mystery". Hint: they don't exist.

I don't understand why the Padres traded for Bartlett, I figured the AGon trade was a white flag. Looks like a directionless team to me.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 05:44 PM)
Heyman is notorious for being a mouthpiece for agents. There's a reason the 7 year teams are "mystery". Hint: they don't exist.

I don't understand why the Padres traded for Bartlett, I figured the AGon trade was a white flag. Looks like a directionless team to me.

Kyle Blanks is OK. Not as good as Adrian Gonzalez, but OK.

Besides that, they have basically built their team around pitching and defense. They realize that it's going to be damn near impossible to score runs in that stadium, so instead they are going to try and pitch and field their way to a championship. He has fallen off the cliff defensively the past couple years, but he has the reputation of being a good fielding shortstop, so they are hoping he can regain some of that.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 08:44 PM)

Because Bartlett > AGon, duh!

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 03:54 AM)
Tim Beckham?

Last time I heard on him, scouts were already saying Gordon play more MLB games Tim every will.

Unless Tim can make it up before 2012 and start full time, I think that's a pretty safe bet. It doesn't somehow disqualify him from being able to have a good career.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 05:27 PM)
via Heyman, Lee has 2 seven year offers, said NYY and Rangers weren't expecting to go beyond 6, so might be 2 mystery teams

They've been so under the radar this offseason that it wouldn't shock me if one of those mystery teams was the Twins. Just a hunch, though.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 08:39 AM)
Luke Scott shouldn't have done this interview. He comes across as not only a complete douche but also a birther. Orioles have distanced themselves from his comments.

I don't see what he did wrong. Are baseball players not allowed to have political opinions? So he is part of the birther movement? So what? It's not gonna have an effect on his baseball playing ability. Just because it's an unpopular opinion, doesn't mean he doesn't have the right to express it.

Edit: It's not like he is parading around Camden Yards screaming "Impeach Obama!". He did a side interview in the offseason, politics came up, and he expressed his opinion.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 04:07 AM)
Unless Tim can make it up before 2012 and start full time, I think that's a pretty safe bet. It doesn't somehow disqualify him from being able to have a good career.

I think what he was saying was that Gordon has already played more games in the MLB than Tim ever will. To argue over who will play more is silly at this popint as it looks like Gordon will be hanging around for a while.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 09:07 AM)
I think what he was saying was that Gordon has already played more games in the MLB than Tim ever will. To argue over who will play more is silly at this popint as it looks like Gordon will be hanging around for a while.

I think suggesting that Tim Beckham won't make it because he has put up a .700 OPS in the minors is silly too. It's absolutely discouraging, but the fact of the matter is, Tim Beckham is just going to be 21 years old next year and it's not as if he's suddenly going to lose the talent that made him the #1 pick. It's going to take one mildly good year for people to jump back on his bandwagon, and with young players, it can be like turning on a light-switch...just have to figure out what he needs to do to be successful.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 09:14 AM)
I think suggesting that Tim Beckham won't make it because he has put up a .700 OPS in the minors is silly too. It's absolutely discouraging, but the fact of the matter is, Tim Beckham is just going to be 21 years old next year and it's not as if he's suddenly going to lose the talent that made him the #1 pick. It's going to take one mildly good year for people to jump back on his bandwagon, and with young players, it can be like turning on a light-switch...just have to figure out what he needs to do to be successful.

I know nothing of Tim Beckham, I was just trying to clear up what I think his post meant.

As far as the Rays are concerned, I think it was terrrible pick as a more MLB ready prospect would be producing now when they need it. Their payroll may be back down t0 $50M this season. They are not gettign the high picks any longer nad thus their farm system may take a hit.

I hope it works out as I like them.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 09:24 AM)
I know nothing of Tim Beckham, I was just trying to clear up what I think his post meant.

As far as the Rays are concerned, I think it was terrrible pick as a more MLB ready prospect would be producing now when they need it. Their payroll may be back down t0 $50M this season. They are not gettign the high picks any longer nad thus their farm system may take a hit.

I hope it works out as I like them.

Boston has proven that you don't need top picks to be successful; you simply have to be willing to spend the money to sign them, and then you have to make sure you can develop them. I have no doubts that Tampa will be fine next year, but I think they are more of an 85-90 win team as opposed to a 95-100 win team, and that's what the two teams ahead of them will be.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 09:07 AM)

Sorry I'm late to my own party. Yes that is exactly what I meant earlier.

All I know about Tim Beckham is that he was taken with #1 overall in 08, and we got Gordon. Some time last year I asked Adam Foster (projectprospect.com) about Tim Beckham vs. Gordon and he told me he doesn't think Tim Beckham will every play a significant role in the MLB.

To be fair he wasn't very high on Gordon or Viciedo either. I'm just passing down the info from a much more knowledgeable guy than myself.

Edited by justBLAZE