2010-11 MLB Offseason Catch-All

witesoxfan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to say I love mlb network. I'm now watching the 40 most memorable fan moments and it really brings back some funny memories . Morganna the Kissing Bandit (google it if you don't know about her) , the kid who caught 2 foul balls in the same at bat, disco demolition, Bartman , fans throwing Reggie bars after a Jackson HR against the Sox , ARod's return to Seattle with Monopoly money floating down onto the field and many more.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 19, 2010 -> 04:38 PM)
I just want to say I love mlb network. I'm now watching the 40 most memorable fan moments and it really brings back some funny memories . Morganna the Kissing Bandit (google it if you don't know about her) , the kid who caught 2 foul balls in the same at bat, disco demolition, Bartman , fans throwing Reggie bars after a Jackson HR against the Sox , ARod's return to Seattle with Monopoly money floating down onto the field and many more.

MLB Network, Fangraphs and Baseball Reference are the three greatest things to happen to baseball fans this century.

For whatever reason, I was thinking of Super 2 players and how teams keep their young players down until early to mid June to save service time and money, and realized that the Braves bucked that idea last Spring and broke camp with Jason Heyward. Whether you use B-R (4.4 WAR) or FGs (5.0), that decision won them the Wild Card, as Heyward was worth more than the 1 win in the two months he was up.

lol @ Freddy as the second best free agent pitcher remaining.

I'd take Jeremy Bonderman or Brad Penny before I give Freddy any kind of good money.

The risk you take by signing any of those three is about equal and both Bonderman and Penny have much more talent than Freddy at this point.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 20, 2010 -> 09:36 AM)
#mets, #yankees and others have asked for medicals on freddy garcia, the 2nd best free-agent pitcher left, after pavano - Jon Heyman

I guess Freddy is about to get paid this offseason.

didnt the mets release him awhile back before he came back to us?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 20, 2010 -> 10:29 AM)
Marlins re-sign Ricky Nolasco to a 3-year, $26.5 million extension

Good deal for both sides. Nolasco is one of those guys that if he ever puts it together for a whole season he could challenge for the CY. He's that talented. I still have vivid memories of that game against the Braves in 2009 in which he fanned 16 and a mind-blowing 9 in a row. Every time each of these young pitchers get locked up I become more and more convinced that Danks is determined to test the FA market.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 20, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)
This might be the most random post in Soxtalk history. Yes, it was worth it. They went to the playoffs the next two seasons. JP wouldn't have put them over the top.

Sorry, I guess it wasn't very clear but I was referring to the Cubs trading Nolasco (along w/ Mitre & Pinto) to the Marlins to get Juan Pierre. For one season during which they won 66 games.

A tad off-topic, but am I the only one that's starting to think the AL is no longer the more dominant league? Yes, you've got the two cash whores in NY and Boston. But that's somewhat offset by the NL cash whore that has become the Phillies. Outside of that, what's the difference between the two leagues? The NL will never score more runs due to the DH. That has nothing to do with quality of the league. Just a rule (a dumb one depending on who you talk to).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 20, 2010 -> 11:13 PM)
A tad off-topic, but am I the only one that's starting to think the AL is no longer the more dominant league? Yes, you've got the two cash whores in NY and Boston. But that's somewhat offset by the NL cash whore that has become the Phillies. Outside of that, what's the difference between the two leagues? The NL will never score more runs due to the DH. That has nothing to do with quality of the league. Just a rule (a dumb one depending on who you talk to).

The NL hasn't been within 20 wins of the AL in interleague since 2004. Until then, then yes you'll be the only one.

Indians GM Chris Antonetti has confirmed that his team is interested in Bartolo Colon.

Antonetti said he has been getting good reports on how Colon, who has reportedly lost close to 40 pounds, has looked in winter ball. Colon didn't pitch at all in the majors in 2010 but is likely to get a minor league deal with a spring training invite from someone.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 20, 2010 -> 05:13 PM)

For the past few years it's never been about the difference between the top teams in the league. Those teams are pretty much the same in all regards. It's the difference between the worst teams in the league that really make the difference. Kansas City, Cleveland, and Baltimore all figure to be the worst teams in the AL, and while they aren't competing in the NL, I think those 3 have more talent then Houston, Pittsburgh, and Washington (and arguably Chicago too).